Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Redirecting to different output files with awk. Post 302400275 by czk on Tuesday 2nd of March 2010 08:55:02 PM
Old 03-02-2010
the problem is that awk knows nothing about your shell variables, you need to set them explicitly

try putting this right after the closing '

HNS=$HNS DOMAINS=$DOMAINS

here's a reference --> The GNU Awk User's Guide

Chris

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirecting output to multiple log files?

If I wanted to redirect output to multiple log files, what would be the best way to do that? echo "Unix is awesome" >>unixgod.log >>unixgod.log (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: darthur
3 Replies

2. Programming

execl() + redirecting output to text files

Im currently using execl() to run the ls command and redirect the output to a text file. Unfortunately, when I check the text file, no information has been written to it. I am calling execl() with the ls command like this execl( "/bin/ls" , "-al" , '>' , "dirlist.txt" ,(char *) 0 ); ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confused about redirecting output from awk.

I have a simple script written in awk whose purpose is to go through some php files and replace some strings. Naturally, I want the changes to be written out to the files. The script looks generally as follows: { gsub(/'replacethis'/, "with this"); # a bunch of these print $0 > FILENAME }... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: face1
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk and redirecting to files

Hello, I have a set of data (comma seperated) that I want to save to multiple files according to one of the fields in the data set. I can easily do this with the following script: BEGIN { FS = OFS = ","} NF {print $0 >> ($2 "" ".csv")} It works perfectly on a set of dummy data I have set... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pfft
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting echo output to 2 flat files

Hello all, I have the following 2 questions.. 1) I would like to capture the output of an echo command to 2 different files at the same time. This does not seem to work. Any ideas? echo ==== started on `date` ==== >> res1.log res2.log 2) Would it be possible to just get the 5th... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting output using if-then-else in awk

I am trying to filter records based on number of "|", delimiter in my application. If number of "|" is greater than 14 its a bad record, else its a good record. I have to redirect output to two different files based on the if-then-else evaluation in AWK. if number of “|” in file_0 > 14 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siteregsam
2 Replies

7. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Redirecting grep output to multiple files

Hi All, I am trying to redirect the grep output to multiple files, can you please help with that. Below is the command im using to match my pattern grep \<proxyType\>$PxyType $DIR/EndureFiles.json > File_Name*.json Note : $DIR and $PxyType is already defined in my script Im able... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deena1984
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Print Error While Redirecting output in multiple Files

Hi, I have a following code in which I am unable to redirect to multiple files. Can anybody please help with some corrections awk -F, '{ if ( substr($1,26,2)=="02" && substr($1,184,14)=="MTSCC_VALFIRST") { array1++ array2++ array3++ } else if (substr($1,26,2)=="03" &&... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting the results to different output files

Hi All, I am trying a shell script and need your help on taking the results to different output files. I have tried the below code: nawk ' {CNF = (length()-10)/7 printf "%9s", substr ($0, 1, 9) for (i=0; i<=CNF; i++) T = substr ($0, 10+i*7, 7) TMP = 100 - (T + T + T + T + T + T + T + T... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: am24
24 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output using if with awk

I have this line were I am selecting some fields from one file and creating a new file for the selected data. awk -F "\"*,\"*" '{print $1"," $2}' folderone/list.txt > folderone/qlist.txt This works, but then from this new file I want it to create a new file where it separates data: $2 >5 it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rluna
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)