Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting My Values are Equal but They are Not Post 302400269 by daptal on Tuesday 2nd of March 2010 08:04:22 PM
Old 03-02-2010
To start with check the value of $errored

$errored has the value 'errored = errored'

and you are checking if $errored == "errored"

which is false

hence you are getting not equal

HTH,
PL

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

equal to operator

Hi, I have the below script executed arg="dir" if "$arg" = "dir" then echo "true" else echo "false" fi Please let me know what happens in the if command. My output is: dir: dir: No such file or directory false which is not the desired output. When i used test command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anijan
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

while [ $x -ge 50 ] + and equal to zero ; then

while + and equal to zero ; then what to punt instead of phrase and equal to zero. it's bash thank you in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: losh
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare columns for equal values and output a summary

Hi all I am trying to scan a file that has 3 columns: red blue 123351 red blue 848655 red blue 126354 red blue 023158 black white 654896 red blue 650884 I want an output that sums the rows that have matching columns 1 and 2 :wall: red blue has 5 entries black white has 1 entry ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reno
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl and not equal

Hi all I have this script that i have written in some logging for but i do not want it to log for all option, i have used Getopt::Long 2.11 to allow differnt switches but i only want logging on one type of switch this is my code but it does not like the ne (not equals) i do not wnat the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

If not equal to then loop

How do I go about amending this simple script that prompts for a yes/no response so that if neither Y or N are entered it will loop back back to the original prompt #!/bin/ksh echo "Enter yes of no" read answer if then echo "You selected yes" elif then echo "You selected no" elif... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gmears
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Same strings are not equal

Hi there can anyone help me please. I want to make a program to check if the executable file specified by the user exists in the directory. When I run this program particulary these lines of code does not work: if ("$fi" == "$name") then where It checks whether the specified file is equal to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FUTURE_EINSTEIN
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing values in a column if they equal a certain value

Hi, I have a tab delimited text file where some lines have the string "NA" in the second column. For these lines, I want to replace NA with the value in the first column, the symbol underscore followed by the value in the fourth column. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! Input: 1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting consecutive equal values in a file

Hello everyone, I have a requirement as shown below. I need to delete consecutive same values from the source file and give it as output file. Source: a,b,c,d,e,e,f,g Target: a,b,c,d,f,g The repeating value "e" should be deleted from the file completely. How can I achieve this... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamsikrishna928
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete row if both percentage values are equal to zero

Hello, I have compiled a script but I have stucked at one point. Each line contains two pcs of % value and what I want to do is to delete any line if both % values are zero. data: expected output: ow3 should be deleted as both percentage value in related line are equal to zero. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
2 Replies
prcmd(3N)																 prcmd(3N)

NAME
prcmd - return streams to parallel remote commands SYNOPSIS
Remarks These functions reside in and are linked using the option to the or command. DESCRIPTION
is an interface similar to that allows a client-side calling program to use an existing server side daemon. however, performs in parallel across multiple systems, the time consuming steps associated with executing commands remotely (connection, command invocation, and command execution/interaction). With only command execution and interaction is under the control of the calling program, and it requires the call- ing program to perform its own calls in order to manage multiple (parallel) connections. Features of the existing server-side remote-shell daemon include: well known service, access control, and shell processing of the command line. The calling program passes a pointer (hostp) to the first node in a list of hosts for which to initiate, or continue, remote command pro- cessing via Internet socket connections. It also supplies the number of hosts in the list (num_hosts). The calling program makes repeated calls to to advance the status of the host connections. Each call to causes a single call of to check the status of all connections that require checking (if there are any). Once a connection (to a remote command) is ready for reading, the calling program can read data from it, optionally write data to it, and then wait for more data to be ready to read back from it. Header File The header file defines a structure containing the following fields of interest: char *prc_hostid; /* host name or IP address */ int prc_prev_status; /* previous connection status */ int prc_conn_status; /* connection status */ time_t prc_conn_time; /* time of connection */ int prc_errno; /* for failed connections */ char *prc_errmsg; /* string from remshd */ FILE *prc_fp; /* file ptr to stdin/stdout */ FILE *prc_fp2; /* file pointer to stderr */ int prc_conn_close; /* flag: close connection */ int prc_caller_status; /* caller's info about conn */ The calling program should change only the and possibly fields, as explained below. The other fields should be considered read-only. The header file also defines the following macros of interest: PRC_OK /* function succeeded, check entries */ PRC_ERR_NETWORKING /* no networking on calling program's system */ PRC_ERR_NOFILE /* cannot get even one file descriptor */ PRC_ERR_RCMD /* cannot get ``shell'' service num/etc. */ PRC_ERR_SELECT /* select() failed */ PRC_CSBIT_ERR /* connection has errored out */ PRC_CONN_NONE /* needs connection */ PRC_CONN1_WAIT /* waiting for stdio connect() */ PRC_CONN2_WAIT /* waiting for stderr connect() */ PRC_CONN3_WAIT /* waiting for remshd reply */ PRC_READ_WAIT /* waiting for data */ PRC_READ_READY /* data is ready to read */ PRC_CONN_DONE /* connection closed */ PRC_CONN_NO_IPS /* can't get IP addresses */ PRC_CONN_FAILED /* various causes */ PRC_CONN_REFUSED /* by remote system */ PRC_CONN_TIMEOUT /* during connection attempt */ typedef struct prc_host *prcp_t; #define PRC_NULLP ((prcp_t) 0) #define PRC_SIZE (sizeof (struct prc_host)) Data Initialization The program calling should create an array of structures with one node for each target system. It should then call using that array (hostp) and its size (num_hosts), a desired initial value (caller_status) for each host's field, a command to be executed when initiating a remote connection to a host, and a timeout value to apply to each host during setup of its connection. This call sets the values of most fields for each host. The calling program can change each host's value for but normally they are all initialized to the same value. Finally, initialize the following field in each array element before the first call to Either a system name (with or without domain suffix) or an Internet address in dot notation. This value differs for each host; it's easier for the calling program to set the val- ues directly than to pass a list into This value is a pointer to memory allocated by the calling program. Avoid destroying the underlying data until establishes a connection to the host. After that, it no longer needs Like does name lookup on host names to get internet addresses; but unlike it does not modify the calling program's values. Common Error Handling Each time is called, it scans the host list looking for actions to take based on each host's field and its field, as described below. Errors are generally handled as follows: Failure If any system call fails while working on a given host's connection, except as noted below, sets that host's field to sets its to the returned value from the failed call, and closes all file (socket) descriptors, and stream pointers (if any), that are associ- ated with the host. Refusal If any failure occurs on the remote side of a connection, as described below, or if an invalid attempt is made to connect back to a host's standard error port, sets to and closes the files specified by the host's and fields. If any message is available from the remote (up to a limit of characters) and succeeds, saves the message text in a location pointed to by the field; otherwise that field remains a null pointer. If instead the refusal occurs for "local" reasons and an value is available, sets to that value, otherwise to 0. Timeout A connection times out when it is in or state (see below), reports that the host is not ready for I/O, and at least timeout sec- onds have elapsed since the host entered that state. The test is low-precision, to the second, using In this case, sets the field for the host to and closes the files specified by the host's and fields. A host specified by name can be listed with multiple IP addresses in the hosts database. In that case, when a connection to one of that host's IP addresses fails, is refused, or times out before reaching the state, attempts to open a new connection on the host's next IP address (up to a limit of five IP addresses per host). A failure is not returned for a given host until all of its IP addresses have been tried. Host/Connection Status See for additional information on how calling programs should handle the following connection status conditions. maps the value from a name to one or more IP addresses (if it does not appear to already be an address), maps the IP addresses to binary, gets an Internet socket bound to a reserved port number for communicating with the host, maps the socket descriptor to a stream pointer using and performs a non-blocking of the socket descriptor to the remote host's "shell" service. The socket's send and receive buffer sizes are the default; the calling program can change the sizes with at any time, subject to the restrictions documented in setsockopt(2). If (see gethostbyname(3N)) or (see inet_addr(3N)) fails, sets the field to Information needed for an connection includes the port number for the "shell" service and the user name of the effec- tive user ID as the local and remote user names. looks up this information the first time it makes a connection. If cannot obtain this information it returns (and tries again each time it's called). If fails with any of the following local-host errors: or returns and the status of the host list is unspecified. If fails with or which means the process or the system is out of file descriptors, or if there are no available reserved ports, the field is left as for later retries. After checking all host entries, if has no open files (sock- ets) for any host, and it didn't close any files during this call, it returns -- that is, all file descriptors are in use for this process, but none by If succeeds, or if it fails with which is normal for a non-blocking connect request, sets to to the current system clock in seconds, and to the stream pointer for this socket. This host is then included in the list per (see below). includes this host in the list for write-readiness. If the connection is not ready for writing, the field is left unchanged. When the connection is ready for writing, returns the socket to "blocking", starts a connection for standard error back from the remote command, sets to the file pointer for this connection, writes standard remsh connection information (see remshd(1M) and also above) to the remote process with temporarily ignored, changes to and sets to the current sys- tem clock in seconds. If a connection is refused, gets or on attempt to write remsh connection information, and handles the error as previ- ously described in the section called includes this host in the list for read-readiness -- for both (in case of error) and (in case of successful connection back to the standard error port). When neither connection is ready for reading, the field is left unchanged. When the standard error connection is ready for reading, does an on it, closes the old and revises the value to a new file pointer for the new socket/fd, changes to and sets to the current system clock in seconds. If only the stdout connection is ready for reading, this indicates a failure. treats this as a refused connection, as described earlier under Note that a host is "held" in or status if there are no available file descriptors or reserved ports when one is needed. includes this host in the list for read-readiness. If the connection is not ready for reading, the field is left unchanged. When the connection is ready for reading, consumes the null byte on stdout from sets to and resets to the current sys- tem clock in seconds for use by the calling program during the ensuing conversation. If anything other than a null byte arrives, this indicates a failure. treats this as a refused connection, as described previously. includes this host in the list for read-readiness. When the connection is not ready for reading, the field is left unchanged. Note, the remote command might be waiting for the calling program to write data to it. When the connection is ready for reading, sets to treats a host in this status the same as If the connection is not ready for reading, sets back to ignores this host's entry. enters this state from any other state when the field (set by the calling program) is non-zero. It closes the files specified by and (if not already null), sets those fields to null, and resets the field to 0. With any of these failure status values, ignores this host's entry, except if is set, the entry's field is set to Changes in Host Status After each call, the field for each host's entry is set to the previous value of its field. The calling program can use to quickly check for a new status for any host. This is useful for once-only logging or display of status values except and -- each of these states can be entered many times during a conversation. Note that a host can leave and then re-enter status if it has multiple IP addresses, a connection to one IP fails, and there are no files or ports available to try the host's next IP address. The calling program can freely use the field to record additional information about the status of each connection. Usage Notes Once a connection is made, and a host is in one of the states, control of the "conversation" between the calling program and remote host belongs to the calling program. Conversations are of two types: 1. calling program communicates first 2. remote command communicates first If the calling program communicates first, it must use the field, or other means, to remember whether or not it has sent initial data to the command; and it must send that data upon the host entering the state the first time. If the command communicates first, or in any con- versation after the calling program sends initial data, the calling program must "track" the conversation to know when to send more data, if any, and when to close the conversation by setting Before the calling program can send the next input, or close the connection, it might have to wait through a series of and states (until all bytes of a single response from a command are received). After each call, the calling program should check the return value for a serious error. If the return value is the calling program should next scan the hostp array and check (if desired) and fields for each host. The calling program only needs to take action for certain sta- tus values (marked with o below). After the first call: Indicates the process ran out of socket (file) descriptors, or reserved ports, after making at least one (still open) connection (in this call, or in a previous call). Connection to this host is attempted again on the next call. The calling program can increase the number of available file descriptors (by closing files or calling or wait for existing connections to finish their communications. These are internal states of little interest to the calling program. No action is needed except to call again later. If the calling program might log/display the host's new status. Command is running but has not yet produced output. If the calling program communicates first, meaning the command needs some initial input, write it to the file specified by and remember that this was done, probably by using the field. Otherwise no action is required, except maybe to log/display the connection's status. Command produced output that is ready for reading. After reading the output, if the command needs more input, write it now to the file specified by If instead the conver- sation is done, set the field non-zero. Command is done; connection was closed in response to the calling program setting the field. No action is required. The calling program can use to quickly detect any error status. It can use to detect that any failure condition is new so it is only han- dled once, or use to record that it was processed the first time it appears in a return from In each case the calling program should handle or report the error as desired. The field appears to be a name, not an address, and fails for it, or fails on a numeric value. The remaining conditions only refer to the cause of failure on the last of the host's IP addresses, if it has more than one. Connection could not be initiated for some reason (on any of the host's IP addresses) due to failure on the local system. is set to the value from a failed system call. Connection refused. Per errno(2): "This usually results from trying to connect to a service that is inactive on the foreign host." It can also be due to any other remote failure, including access denial; and to an improper connection attempt on the standard error port. The calling program should check the host's field. If it is not a null pointer, message text is available from the remote command; and the calling program must the pointer when done using the value. Connection timed out. The connection has remained in one of the or states for more than timeout seconds without becoming ready for I/O. If the calling program performs unbuffered I/O using socket (file) descriptors instead of streams, it can refer to (see fileno(3S)). If the calling program needs to send a signal to a remote command, it can write the signal number to the file specified by (see rcmd(3N)). There is no way to tell to close down all connections, except by setting for all hosts, and calling once more. This causes to be set to Regarding Timeouts is designed to maximize the number of parallel connections, and to maximize control by the calling program. Therefore always calls with a timeout value of zero (immediate polling). It is the responsibility of the calling program to avoid calling more frequently than is neces- sary (therefore consuming excessive CPU time). For example, the calling program might call (see sleep(3C)) between calls. Note: This is unnecessary if the calling program is itself periodically invoked by timer interrupts, or if it performs other (time-consuming) tasks between calls. A timeout will occur if the host's connection remains in one of the wait states, or for more than timeout seconds without becoming ready for I/O, and no untried IP addresses for this host remain. When a host's connection reaches state the first time, resets the host's field but does not check the host again for timeout. The calling program can do this if desired. The calling program is also permitted to reset (update) the field as the communications proceed (for example, each time it writes data to the remote command). RETURN VALUE
Call succeeded; check the host list for and field values. If fails with (due to a signal arriving), returns control to the calling program with In this case some connections might have been started (entered the state) or stopped (entered the state), under the call- ing program's control, but none has advanced due to I/O status; call again as usual. A call failed due to any of a number of serious networking problems (see earlier list), indicating the local host's networking is not enabled, and is useless; is set on return from A call failed with or or there were no more available reserved ports, at a time when had no open connections (sock- ets). This means further attempts to open connections are futile until the calling program, or the system, frees some file descriptors, or reserved ports. Unable to get the "shell" service port number or the username for the effective user ID. It's not useful to call again unless this condition is corrected. A call failed (other than with is set on return from The data in the host list is valid but no hosts are read-ready or write-ready, even if marked from a previous successful call. DIAGNOSTICS
Unlike does not copy messages from to the local standard error when fails. It just puts the host in state. EXAMPLES
The following code fragment illustrates how to allocate and initialize an array of hosts, and call once for the entire list of hosts: int index; struct prc_host prc_host [MAXHOSTS]; prcmd_init (prc_host, argc, 0, REMCMD, TIMEOUT); for (index = 0; index < argc; ++index) (prc_host[index].prc_hostid) = argv [index]; if ((rc = prcmd (prc_host, argc)) != PRC_OK) ... WARNINGS
is unsafe in multi-thread applications. Like should only be called by a privileged process. Otherwise it puts every host in status with = 13 because it cannot to any reserved port. At this time calls are done on files specified by only, not assumes that the remote command will never write to standard error and then block, but will instead terminate or otherwise close stdout. When stdout is read-ready, the calling program can safely do a blocking on and upon EOF or error, check with a blocking (Exception: For status both files are selected since either might come ready depending on success or failure, as described earlier. How- ever, this exception is handled internal to and does not affect the calling program.) Note that saves a pointer to the value of command, not the value itself, so the calling program must preserve the value through all calls of times out after about two minutes, even with non-blocking I/O. If this happens to a host's connection, the result is indistinguishable from since returns in either case. This is not a problem if the calling program allows less than two minutes for a connection, that is, sends a timeout value less than 120, and calls frequently enough that the latter catches the timeout itself before does. Be careful when using buffered I/O. Avoid calls to and similar functions in circumstances where they might block indefinitely if less data is available than requested. Also, be sure to read all available data from a host via the file specified by before waiting again for a connection to be read-ready. The connection might appear not-ready even though buffered, pending data was already read by the stdio library, and is available. Avoiding these problems might require the use of non-blocking I/O; see fcntl(2). Be careful about writing to a socket that might be closed if the remote command terminates, or if the connection is lost. This can cause the calling process to receive The calling program must handle this signal if appropriate. When handling a host whose connection failed with remember to the host's pointer if it is non-null. This can be skipped if regaining mal- loc'd memory is not required. Performance Issues It is faster to call with host IDs specified as internet addresses rather than names, because will not need to look up each host in the hosts database. However, when doing so with hosts that have multiple internet addresses, only the specified internet address is tried. There is a limit of about 512 reserved ports on each system, and a soft limit for the number of available file descriptors for each process. Each specified host requires two reserved ports and two file descriptors for the connection to check its status. defers (serial- izes) additional connections once all ports or file descriptors are in use, so additional hosts are not ignored, but the time required for all connections to complete increases accordingly. To improve performance, it might be necessary to increase the limit on open files if there are a lot of hosts; see setrlimit(2). AUTHOR
was developed by Hewlett-Packard. SEE ALSO
remshd(1M), accept(2), bind(2), connect(2), errno(2), fcntl(2), read(2), select(2), setsockopt(2), socket(2), time(2), fdopen(3S), fileno(3S), gethostbyname(3N), inet_addr(3N), malloc(3C), rcmd(3N), sleep(3C). prcmd(3N)