Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing argument to system call in awk script Post 302400243 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 2nd of March 2010 06:02:13 PM
Old 03-02-2010
the issue is with the embedded single-quotes in the command you're executing with 'system'.

create a file mike.awk with the content of your awk 'stuff' and call it like so:
Code:
cat  $CSV | egrep -v "Network Entity" | awk -F, -f mike.awk

While you're at it, you can get rid of 'cat|egrep' all together and do it all natively within the awk code:
Code:
!/Network Entity/ {for (i=1;i<=NF;i++)
                {if (some conditions) )
                        { Bunch of commands which are working fine}

In this case your calling sequence will be:
Code:
awk -F, -f mike.awk $CSV

Last edited by vgersh99; 03-02-2010 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: spelling

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing argument to awk script

I am writing a shell script. Now i need to read in a string and send it to an awk file to compare and search for compatible record. I wrote it like tat: read serial | awk -f generate.awk data.dat p/s: the data file got 6 field. According to an expert, we can write it like tat: read... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AkumaTay
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

a system call for sed in a awk script

Hi, this is my test file : DELETE FROM TABLE WHERE ID_INTERNAL = :TABLE.ID-INTERNAL, ID-INTERNAL-CRAZY ID-INTERNAL-OPEN ID-INTERNAL /ID-INTERNAL/ I want all occurences of ID-INTERNAL replaced with a one, if ID-INTERNAL has and dash afer it , dont replace it example:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: seaten
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing argument into awk

i'm trying to pass a numerical argument with function xyz to print specfic lines of filename, but my 'awk' syntax is incorrect. ie xyx 3 (prints the 3rd line, separated by ':' of filename) function xyz() { arg1=$1 cat filename | awk -F: -v x=$arg1 '{print $x}' } any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkfriryce
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to use exceptfds argument in select system call

Hi, Can any one tell me how to use the fourth argument of select system call.I saw example "port forwarding" on the net,but it was too complex for me to understand.Can any one explain me about the usage of exceptfds argument of select system call with simple example. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bvijaya
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing argument from Cshelll to awk command

Hi all I have got a file digits.data containing the following data 1 3 4 2 4 9 7 3 1 7 3 10 I am writing a script that will pass an argument from C-shell to nawk command. But it seems the values in the nawk comman does not get set. the program does not print no values out. Here is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ganiel24
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem passing directory as argument with awk

I'm trying to figure out what's getting passed as the argument when I try to pass a directory as an argument, and I'm getting incredibly strange behavior. For example, from the command line I'm typing: nawk -f ./test.awk ~ test.awk contains the following: { directory = $NF print... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrplainswalker
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing value as a command line argument in awk script.

I have one working awk command line. Which taking data from the “J1202523.TXT” file and generating the “brazil.dat” file. PFB code. awk '{ DUNS = substr($0,0,9);if ( substr($0,14,3) == "089" ) print DUNS }' J1202523.TXT > Brazil.dat But now I want to pass two parameter as a command line argument... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: humaemo
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing --usage as argument to awk script

I have the awk script below and things go wrong when I do awk -v dsrmx=25 -f ./checkSRDry.awk --usage I basically want to override the usual --usage and --help that awk gives. How do people usually handle this situation when you also want to supply your own usage and help concerning the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing argument in script?

hi, I want to implement some function to perform following task if ; then $TEXT = "Data_0" else $TEXT = $1 fi if ; then $Lines = 45 else $Lines = $2 fi Kindly suggest, thanks (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrjrasaxena
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variable argument to a script which is being called inside awk

consider the script below sh /opt/hqe/hqapi1-client-5.0.0/bin/hqapi.sh alert list --host=localhost --port=7443 --user=hqadmin --password=hqadmin --secure=true >/tmp/alerts.xml awk -F'' '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){ if($i=="Alert id") { if(id!="") if(dt!=""){ cmd="sh someScript.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies
NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)														 NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)

NAME
npm-run-script - Run arbitrary package scripts SYNOPSIS
npm run-script <command> [--silent] [-- <args>...] alias: npm run DESCRIPTION
This runs an arbitrary command from a package's "scripts" object. If no "command" is provided, it will list the available scripts. run[-script] is used by the test, start, restart, and stop commands, but can be called directly, as well. When the scripts in the package are printed out, they're separated into lifecycle (test, start, restart) and directly-run scripts. As of ` https://blog.npmjs.org/post/98131109725/npm-2-0-0, you can use custom arguments when executing scripts. The special option -- is used by getopt https://goo.gl/KxMmtG to delimit the end of the options. npm will pass all the arguments after the -- directly to your script: npm run test -- --grep="pattern" The arguments will only be passed to the script specified after npm run and not to any pre or post script. The env script is a special built-in command that can be used to list environment variables that will be available to the script at run- time. If an "env" command is defined in your package, it will take precedence over the built-in. In addition to the shell's pre-existing PATH, npm run adds node_modules/.bin to the PATH provided to scripts. Any binaries provided by locally-installed dependencies can be used without the node_modules/.bin prefix. For example, if there is a devDependency on tap in your package, you should write: "scripts": {"test": "tap test/*.js"} instead of "scripts": {"test": "node_modules/.bin/tap test/*.js"} to run your tests. The actual shell your script is run within is platform dependent. By default, on Unix-like systems it is the /bin/sh command, on Windows it is the cmd.exe. The actual shell referred to by /bin/sh also depends on the system. As of ` https://github.com/npm/npm/releases/tag/v5.1.0 you can customize the shell with the script-shell configuration. Scripts are run from the root of the module, regardless of what your current working directory is when you call npm run. If you want your script to use different behavior based on what subdirectory you're in, you can use the INIT_CWD environment variable, which holds the full path you were in when you ran npm run. npm run sets the NODE environment variable to the node executable with which npm is executed. Also, if the --scripts-prepend-node-path is passed, the directory within which node resides is added to the PATH. If --scripts-prepend-node-path=auto is passed (which has been the default in npm v3), this is only performed when that node executable is not found in the PATH. If you try to run a script without having a node_modules directory and it fails, you will be given a warning to run npm install, just in case you've forgotten. You can use the --silent flag to prevent showing npm ERR! output on error. You can use the --if-present flag to avoid exiting with a non-zero exit code when the script is undefined. This lets you run potentially undefined scripts without breaking the execution chain. SEE ALSO
o npm help 7 scripts o npm help test o npm help start o npm help restart o npm help stop o npm help 7 config January 2019 NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)