Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script to arrange files into several folders Post 302399887 by fubaya on Monday 1st of March 2010 11:35:36 PM
Old 03-02-2010
After you create the directories (please backup the images first)...
Code:
for i in $(ls -d */)
do
list=$(ls *.jpg | head -200)
mv "$list" "$i"
done

for every directory in a list of directories, get a list of 200 jpgs, move them to that directory

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

runnning a shell script in multiple folders

Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to both unix and shell scripts. Right now I have a script that I can run in one folder (if a certain text file is there, do one thing, if it's not, do something else). I want to modify this to run in multiple directories. My setup is: a company directory, and within it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: melearlin
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to move files to 3 different folders

Hi guys: I've got this problem, I want to move a bunch of files to 3 different folders, without any specific order, and I'm trying to automatize it with a shell script. I'm a newbie at shell scripting so this is my first try: #!/bin/bash COUNTER=`ls -1 | wc -l` while do ARRAY=(... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wretchedmike
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

fixperms on folders in shell script

Hi, I am using fixperms command to change permissions of diretories in my script, i have to change 3 directories permissions one by one using fixperms. i tried the below code code: exec DIR1/fixperms -rRy DIR1 exec DIR2/fixperms -rRy DIR2 exec DIR3/fixperms -rRy DIR3 but this is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreelu
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to arrange xml tags in single row using shell script?

I want to put one xml record in one row and so on... sample two records are here. <?xml version="1.0"?> <Object> <Header> <XCOMVers>V1.0</XCOMVers> <REPORT>XXXXX</REPORT> <CODE>002</CODE> </Header> <IssueCard> <Record> <L>CAR SYSTEM -SSSSS -</L> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sene_geet
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to arrange xml tags in single row using shell script?

I want to put one xml record in one row and so on... sample two records are here. <?xml version="1.0"?> <Object> <Header> <XCOMVers>V1.0</XCOMVers> <REPORT>XXXXX</REPORT> <CODE>002</CODE> </Header> <IssueCard> <Record> <L>CAR SYSTEM -SSSSS -</L> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sene_geet
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent- shell script to create sub folders

Hi All, Could any one help me with a shell script which will create different sub folders in a folder and of which the sub folders names should be taken from a text file. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chetansingh23
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

automating a shell script to run across all the folders

I would like to know how to automate an already made shell script (all the steps of all the commands done on a specific folder) by utilizing a list (a .txt) of all folder names that the shell scripts goes and executes For example: In the working folder called main/ there are subfolders named... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to delete files within a particular time frame under multiple sub folders

Greetings! I'm looking for starting information for a shell script. Here's my scenario: I have multiple folders(100) for example: /www/test/applications/app1/logs /www/test/applications/app2/logs Within these folders there are log files files that need to be deleted after a month. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: whysolucky
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to arrange datas in columns in shell script.

Hello All, I have datas in the below format. Mark 45 Steve 60 Johnson 79 Elizabeth 90 My requirement is to arrange the data in the order as shown in the attachment. My OS is Solaris. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vashece
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for enter folders and join file

Hello everyone. I have a dlink cam that save recordings splitted for hours. Each hour folder contain a lot of small avi files. Repository has the following directories structure: \_20140101/ \_ 01 \_a.avi \_b.avi \_ 02 \_c.avi ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: setterx
3 Replies
nisbackup(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     nisbackup(1M)

NAME
nisbackup - backup NIS+ directories SYNOPSIS
nisbackup [-v] backup-dir directory... nisbackup [-v] -a backup-dir DESCRIPTION
nisbackup backs up a NIS+ directory object on a NIS+ master server. Updates to the NIS+ database will be temporarily disabled while nis- backup is running. The backup-dir is a UNIX directory that must exist prior to running nisbackup. The nisbackup command can be used to backup an individual NIS+ directory object or all ( -a) of the NIS+ directory objects served by a master server. The NIS+ directory objects being backed up will be placed into subdirectories under the backup-dir directory. These subdirectories are named according to the NIS+ directory object they contain. nisbackup operates on individual NIS+ directory objects (for example, org_dir.wiz.com). This allows an administrator to selectively backup specific directories. The rpc.nisd(1M) process must be running on the master server with a stable NIS+ database for nisbackup to complete. nisbackup will not attempt to correct any corruption in the NIS+ database, so it is important that backups be done regularly as part of the NIS+ administra- tion. The first synopsis is used to backup a single NIS+ directory object or a list of NIS+ directory objects. The objects can be partially qual- ified or fully qualified. The machine on which the command is executing must be the master for the NIS+ directory objects specified. The second synopsis will backup all of the NIS+ directory objects that are served by this master. The -a option is the recommended method of backing up a master server, since it will backup all NIS+ directory objects that are served by this master. If this server is a master server for more than one domain, the backup will include NIS+ directories that belong to all of the domains served. Individual NIS+ direc- tory objects can be selected for restoring from a backup-dir created with the -a option. See nisrestore(1M). The -a option only includes directory objects for which this server is the master. It is possible, but not recommended, to configure a master server as a replica for other domains. The objects belonging to those replicated domains will not be backed up with the -a option. The backup of replicated objects must be run on the master server for those objects. Do not use the same backup-dir to backup different master servers. Each master server must have its own backup-dir. nisbackup will set the rpc.nisd(1M) to read only mode, which will disable updates to the NIS+ database. This is neccessary to ensure the consistency of the backup. For this reason, nisbackup should not be run while large numbers of updates are being applied to the NIS+ data- base. Update utilities such as nisaddent(1M) should not be run simultaneously with nisbackup. OPTIONS
-a Creates a backup of all NIS+ directory objects for which this server is a master. -v Verbose option. Additional output will be produced and sent to syslog(3C) upon execution of the command (see syslog.conf(4)). OPERANDS
backup-dir The directory into which the subdirectories containing the backed up objects are placed. This must be created prior to running nisbackup. directory The NIS+ directory object(s) being backed up. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Backup of the org_dir NIS+ directory object of the domain foo.com on a master server to a directory named /backup To backup the org_dir NIS+ directory object of the domain foo.com on a master server to a directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup /backup org_dir.foo.com. Example 2: Backup of the entire NIS+ domain foo.com to a directory named /backup To backup the entire NIS+ domain foo.com to a directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup /backup foo.com. org_dir.foo.com. groups_dir.foo.com. ctx_dir.foo.com. Example 3: Backup of an entire NIS+ database to a backup directory named /backup To backup an entire NIS+ database to a backup directory named /backup: master_server# nisbackup -a /backup EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. FILES
/backup-dir/backup_list This ascii file contains a list of all the objects contained in this backup-dir directory. /backup-dir/directory-object A subdirectory that is created in the backup-dir that contains the NIS+ directory-object backup. /backup-dir/directory-object/data A subdirectory that contains the data files that are part of the NIS+ directory-object backup. /backup-dir/directory-object/last.upd This data file contains timestamp information about the directory-object. /backup-dir/directory-object/data.dict A NIS+ data dictionary for all of the objects contained in the NIS+ directory-object backup. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nis+(1), nisdefaults(1), nisrm(1), nisrestore(1M), rpc.nisd(1M), syslog(3C), nisfiles(4), syslog.conf(4), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 12 Dec 2001 nisbackup(1M)