Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting notify-send does not notify real time Post 302399765 by linuxpenguin on Monday 1st of March 2010 12:26:26 PM
Old 03-01-2010
Thanks for your reply, although it sounds like you re-iterated the existing problems. I am wondering if there is a solution/work around/alternatives to notify-send. Can I use some dbus utility that does similar stuff without those shortcomings/bugs in notify-send? I upgraded to lucid-lynx, which is still in development, hoping that somebody bumps up this issue such that it works when 10.4 is finally released.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Notify of a new thread

Hi, I wish to be notified whenever there is a new thread posted on any of the forums or atleast the forums that I have registered to. Can this be done. How? I am sure there must be a way to do this, and I feel this is how the moderators must be doing. I know I may not be eligible enough to be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxpenguin
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Notify Command.

Hi, I am using the NOTIFY command and I am getting the emails.. I tried MAILX and e-mail is being sent. I want to use NOTIFY to see if my jobs are completed or not. Am I missing something.. All your ideas are greatly appreciated.. Thanks Venky (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkyA
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

log send, sendrec, recv and notify system calls

Hi, I've a question about MINIX OS. 1 - I would like to log the messages that user or kernel process send to each other through the system call send, recv, sendrec and notify. Since MINIX is a microkernel OS, I suppose that the best way is to have an TCP socket, listening in INADDR_ANY... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pedrosacosta
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cronjob to notify by mail

I am planning some tasks that I need send mails regularly to my team members. I think to use cronjob with script to do it. Two init files are prepared, I can change the format if you ask for. name.txt: Bill bill@xxx.com Peter peter@xxx.com James james@xxx.com Tasks_list.txt ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newoz
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[linux] tail2notify - script interface between tail -f + grep and notify-send

This isn't exactly a question. Just thought I'd share something I just wrote and found useful. For those of you on modern linux boxen: you may be aware that there's a lovely little tool called notify-send that you can use to send notifications to the desktop. Any experienced shell-scripter could... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryran
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

A notify-send Question --

Greetings. I've come across a bit of a problem with notify-send syntax; and wondered if anyone out there had found a solution in the woodpile somewhere :) Here's the snippet which is giving me trouble:notify-send 'Text to display' image_data 300, 300, , , , , /etc/image.pngOutput:Invalid... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Notify as soon as an error is encountered in a script

Hi, The script below works okay and emails me the log in the end once the script completes but what I'm trying to do is to also notify me via an email as soon as the script encounters any error whatsoever. cat test.list hdisk0 00a6351a2c832da1 rootvg ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbak
7 Replies
DBUS-SEND(1)							   User Commands						      DBUS-SEND(1)

NAME
dbus-send - Send a message to a message bus SYNOPSIS
dbus-send [--system | --session | --address=ADDRESS] [--dest=NAME] [--print-reply [=literal]] [--reply-timeout=MSEC] [--type=TYPE] OBJECT_PATH INTERFACE.MEMBER [CONTENTS...] DESCRIPTION
The dbus-send command is used to send a message to a D-Bus message bus. See http://www.freedesktop.org/software/dbus/ for more information about the big picture. There are two well-known message buses: the systemwide message bus (installed on many systems as the "messagebus" service) and the per-user-login-session message bus (started each time a user logs in). The --system and --session options direct dbus-send to send messages to the system or session buses respectively. If neither is specified, dbus-send sends to the session bus. Nearly all uses of dbus-send must provide the --dest argument which is the name of a connection on the bus to send the message to. If --dest is omitted, no destination is set. The object path and the name of the message to send must always be specified. Following arguments, if any, are the message contents (message arguments). These are given as type-specified values and may include containers (arrays, dicts, and variants) as described below. <contents> ::= <item> | <container> [ <item> | <container>...] <item> ::= <type>:<value> <container> ::= <array> | <dict> | <variant> <array> ::= array:<type>:<value>[,<value>...] <dict> ::= dict:<type>:<type>:<key>,<value>[,<key>,<value>...] <variant> ::= variant:<type>:<value> <type> ::= string | int16 | uint16 | int32 | uint32 | int64 | uint64 | double | byte | boolean | objpath D-Bus supports more types than these, but dbus-send currently does not. Also, dbus-send does not permit empty containers or nested containers (e.g. arrays of variants). Here is an example invocation: dbus-send --dest=org.freedesktop.ExampleName /org/freedesktop/sample/object/name org.freedesktop.ExampleInterface.ExampleMethod int32:47 string:'hello world' double:65.32 array:string:"1st item","next item","last item" dict:string:int32:"one",1,"two",2,"three",3 variant:int32:-8 objpath:/org/freedesktop/sample/object/name Note that the interface is separated from a method or signal name by a dot, though in the actual protocol the interface and the interface member are separate fields. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --dest=NAME Specify the name of the connection to receive the message. --print-reply Block for a reply to the message sent, and print any reply received in a human-readable form. It also means the message type (--type=) is method_call. --print-reply=literal Block for a reply to the message sent, and print the body of the reply. If the reply is an object path or a string, it is printed literally, with no punctuation, escape characters etc. --reply-timeout=MSEC Wait for a reply for up to MSEC milliseconds. The default is implementation-defined, typically 25 seconds. --system Send to the system message bus. --session Send to the session message bus. (This is the default.) --address=ADDRESS Send to ADDRESS. --type=TYPE Specify method_call or signal (defaults to "signal"). AUTHOR
dbus-send was written by Philip Blundell. BUGS
Please send bug reports to the D-Bus mailing list or bug tracker, see http://www.freedesktop.org/software/dbus/ D-Bus 1.12.2 DBUS-SEND(1)