Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with Passing argument and testing Post 302399565 by durden_tyler on Sunday 28th of February 2010 11:19:41 PM
Old 03-01-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebala1981
Could you explain the following line alone please

if [[ $1 != 1 && $1 != 11 ]]
Nope I won't, sorry. I can, but I won't.
Check the man page of your shell; it's all there. Nothing is made up.
Since you are a beginner, it's essential that you get into the habit of looking up the man page or info page as frequently as needed.

tyler_durden

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Thread Argument Passing

#include <stdio.h> #include <pthread.h> #define NUM_THREADS 4 /* function to be executed by the new thread*/ void *PrintHello(void * threadid) { printf("\n %3d:Hello World!\n",threadid); pthread_exit(NULL); } int main(int argc, char * argv) { int *taskids; int... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: narom
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing argument into awk

i'm trying to pass a numerical argument with function xyz to print specfic lines of filename, but my 'awk' syntax is incorrect. ie xyx 3 (prints the 3rd line, separated by ':' of filename) function xyz() { arg1=$1 cat filename | awk -F: -v x=$arg1 '{print $x}' } any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkfriryce
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing Argument

Hi All, i have script like below.. echo "1) first option" echo "" echo "2) second option" echo "" echo "*) please enter the correct option" read select case $select in 1) echo "first option selected" ;; 2) echo "second option selected" ;; *) echo "please enter the correct... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shahul
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing an option as an argument!

Hi Folks I have got to the point where I can specify the arguments but how to pass an option is still mystery to me. Example: temp.csh a b c d set temp1 = $argv set temp2 = $argv set temp3 = $argv echo $temp1 a echo $temp2 b echo $temp3 c d I WANT: temp.csh a b c d -S 1 set temp1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dixits
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing argument in script?

hi, I want to implement some function to perform following task if ; then $TEXT = "Data_0" else $TEXT = $1 fi if ; then $Lines = 45 else $Lines = $2 fi Kindly suggest, thanks (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrjrasaxena
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing user argument

Hi all: I'm trying to pass an argument to a command but it's being difficult. #!/bin/bash set -xv if ; then echo "More than 1 argument entered" echo "Please enter a month using 3 character names, ie, Jan, Mar, Apr, Dec" && exit 1 fi if ; then echo "Please enter a month using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raggmopp
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with passing argument

Hi, I have a script that is scheduled with cron and runs every night. The cron part looks like this: 00 20 * * 0,1,2,3,4,5,6 /usr/local/bin/BACKUP TBTARM HOT DELETE My issue is with the 3rd parameter. Somewhere in the script, i want to tell the script to delete some files if the 3rd... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dollypee
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Argument passing

How to pass the alphabet character as a argument in case and in if block? ex: c=$1 if a-z ]] then echo "alphabet" case $1 in a-z) echo "the value is a alphabet" edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags. We REALLY mean it. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roozo
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing argument not retrieving.

Hi I have a script which am trying to pass an argument which am trying to call using $1 but its not taking the value inside the if loop as it showing the error as if: Empty if.. Any help on this will be helpful. #!/usr/bin/csh echo $1 if ('$1' == "pp") then echo "Printing $1" endif (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Passing a second argument

I am trying to pass a second argument like so: if ] then export ARG2=$2 else message "Second argument not specified: USAGE - $PROGRAM_NAME ARG1 ARG2" checkerror -e 2 -m "Please specify if it is a history or weekly (H or W) extract in the 2nd argument" fi however, it always goes... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
4 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)