Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Malloc Implementation in C
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Malloc Implementation in C Post 302399403 by Scott on Saturday 27th of February 2010 08:05:29 PM
Old 02-27-2010
Do not post classroom or homework problems in the main forums. Homework and coursework questions can only be posted in this forum under special homework rules.

Please review the rules, which you agreed to when you registered, if you have not already done so.

More-than-likely, posting homework in the main forums has resulting in a forum infraction. If you did not post homework, please explain the company you work for and the nature of the problem you are working on.

If you did post homework in the main forums, please review the guidelines for posting homework and repost.

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

a problem about malloc()

1 . Thanks everyone who read the post. 2 . the programe is that : #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> void do_it(char *p) { p = (char *) malloc(100); (void )strcpy(p,"1234"); } int main(void) { char *p; do_it(p); (void )printf("p = %s \n",p); (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chenhao_no1
1 Replies

2. Programming

malloc

hello sir since by mentioning a integer pointer and storing the integers by incrementing the pointer value then what is the purpose of malloc? u can decalre it as in t *p; several integers can be stored by incrementing the value of p, hence what is the diffrence between this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajashekaran
2 Replies

3. Programming

malloc function

Hello This is a simple program i carried out in my machine i dont know how it is working #include<alloc.h> #include<stdio.h> mian() { int *p,j; p= (int*)malloc(1); for(j=1;j<=580;j++) { *p=j; ++p; } p=p-580; for(j=1;j<=580;j++) { printf("%d",*p); } (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajashekaran
7 Replies

4. Programming

malloc for 1 Mb error.

Hi All! Does some one know I am under UNIX system can not allocate more then 1 Mb memory? It broke program down. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prodigal
2 Replies

5. Programming

When to use Malloc?

Hi! I hope this is the correct forum to post the question even if I'm a newbie... I am a C-newbie (and really on the edge to be a C-addict ;) ) and have a question. When should I use malloc? To state it differently, when should I NOT use malloc? For instance, if I have an array of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tonje
5 Replies

6. Programming

malloc()

Some one please explain me what is Dynamic memory allocation and the use of malloc() function.How do we allocate memory dynamically and also the other way? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rash123
3 Replies

7. Programming

Malloc implementation in C

Hey Guys I am trying to implement the malloc function for my OS class and I am having a little trouble with it. I would be really grateful if I could get some hints on this problem. So I am using a doubly-linked list as my data structure and I have to allocate memory for it (duh...). The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gambit_b
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kmalloc and malloc

Do kmalloc and malloc allocate from same heap ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonpoint
3 Replies

9. Programming

malloc vs new speed

Which one is faster among malloc and new? My understanding is that since new also has to call constructors after allocating memory it must be slower than malloc. Am I correct? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with malloc()

Good day! I'm a newbie in C. I'm trying to get an unlimited input from the user using malloc then printing the inputs after the user presses enter. My code works, but there's a warning that I don't know how to fix. Please help me. Thank you. Here's my code: #include <stdio.h> #include... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eracav
6 Replies
INSQUE(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 INSQUE(3)

NAME
insque, remque - insert/remove an item from a queue SYNOPSIS
#include <search.h> void insque(void *elem, void *prev); void remque(void *elem); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): insque(), remque(): _SVID_SOURCE || _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 500 DESCRIPTION
insque() and remque() are functions for manipulating doubly-linked lists. Each element in the list is a structure of which the first two structure elements are a forward and a backward pointer. insque() inserts the element pointed to by elem immediately after the element pointed to by prev, which must not be NULL. remque() removes the element pointed to by elem from the doubly-linked list. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
Traditionally (e.g., SunOS, Linux libc 4 and libc 5), the arguments of these functions were of type struct qelem *, defined as: struct qelem { struct qelem *q_forw; struct qelem *q_back; char q_data[1]; }; This is still what you will get if _GNU_SOURCE is defined before including <search.h>. The location of the prototypes for these functions differs among several versions of Unix. The above is the POSIX version. Some systems place them in <string.h>. Linux libc4 and libc 5 placed them in <stdlib.h>. COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2008-07-11 INSQUE(3)