Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora od -c . does not work on mine Post 302399336 by drl on Saturday 27th of February 2010 10:08:02 AM
Old 02-27-2010
Hi.

Of the systems on which I tried to use od with a directory, Solaris 10 failed, but (some versions of) IBM AIX, and HP-UX succeeded.

The K & R book was written a long time ago, before Linux was created. I do not know why Linux restricts commands like cat and od from dealing with directories.

The chmod behavior might be explained by the setting of your umask. See man umask for details ... cheers, drl

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Your favorite command and mine - grep

Is their a way to grep for only one occurrence? Here is an example: given the file information: BCX 3 5 BCX 23 94 BNG 34 34 BCX 2 09 if I do: grep BCX ./file then i get them all, how can i get just one of them. But let's say there could be a variable number of the desired... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wxornot
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

What are Your Favorite Chips? Mine are Doritos Nacho Cheesier!

By far, Doritos Nacho Cheesier are the best tasting chips, well at least too me. Have you tried them? What are your favorite chips? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
5 Replies

4. IP Networking

NIC will not work, but it did work.

I have a client machine that was built and loaded with SCO UNIX 2.1.3, (yes it is old). The machine worked fine on the closed network that I tested on in my shop. I then had to change it to the network that it would be connected to. Below is the host file, router and subnet mask file that I usually... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: NC user
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

My script work on Linux but not work in sunos.

My script work on Linux but not work in sun os. my script. logFiles="sentLog1.log sentLog2.log" intial_time="0 0" logLocation="/usr/local/tomcat/logs/" sleepTime=600 failMessage=":: $(tput bold)Log not update$(tput rmso) = " successMessage="OK" arr=($logFiles)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
7 Replies

6. IP Networking

Discussion at work, would a router work pluging a cable in wan1 and lan1?

hi all. and sorry for the random question, but this sparkled a raging flame-war at work and i want more points of view situation a router, with linux of some sort, dhcp client requesting for ip in wan1 (as usual with wan ports) dhcp server listening in lan1, and assigning ip (as usual... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: broli
9 Replies
MKDIR(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  MKDIR(2)

NAME
mkdir - create a directory SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/stat.h> #include <sys/types.h> int mkdir(const char *pathname, mode_t mode); DESCRIPTION
mkdir() attempts to create a directory named pathname. The argument mode specifies the permissions to use. It is modified by the process's umask in the usual way: the permissions of the created directory are (mode & ~umask & 0777). Other mode bits of the created directory depend on the operating system. For Linux, see below. The newly created directory will be owned by the effective user ID of the process. If the directory containing the file has the set-group- ID bit set, or if the file system is mounted with BSD group semantics (mount -o bsdgroups or, synonymously mount -o grpid), the new direc- tory will inherit the group ownership from its parent; otherwise it will be owned by the effective group ID of the process. If the parent directory has the set-group-ID bit set then so will the newly created directory. RETURN VALUE
mkdir() returns zero on success, or -1 if an error occurred (in which case, errno is set appropriately). ERRORS
EACCES The parent directory does not allow write permission to the process, or one of the directories in pathname did not allow search per- mission. (See also path_resolution(7).) EDQUOT The user's quota of disk blocks or inodes on the file system has been exhausted. EEXIST pathname already exists (not necessarily as a directory). This includes the case where pathname is a symbolic link, dangling or not. EFAULT pathname points outside your accessible address space. ELOOP Too many symbolic links were encountered in resolving pathname. EMLINK The number of links to the parent directory would exceed LINK_MAX. ENAMETOOLONG pathname was too long. ENOENT A directory component in pathname does not exist or is a dangling symbolic link. ENOMEM Insufficient kernel memory was available. ENOSPC The device containing pathname has no room for the new directory. ENOSPC The new directory cannot be created because the user's disk quota is exhausted. ENOTDIR A component used as a directory in pathname is not, in fact, a directory. EPERM The file system containing pathname does not support the creation of directories. EROFS pathname refers to a file on a read-only file system. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, BSD, POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
Under Linux apart from the permission bits, only the S_ISVTX mode bit is honored. That is, under Linux the created directory actually gets mode (mode & ~umask & 01777). See also stat(2). There are many infelicities in the protocol underlying NFS. Some of these affect mkdir(). SEE ALSO
mkdir(1), chmod(2), chown(2), mkdirat(2), mknod(2), mount(2), rmdir(2), stat(2), umask(2), unlink(2), path_resolution(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2013-01-27 MKDIR(2)