Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris I can't set locale in Solaris 8 Post 302398975 by hergp on Friday 26th of February 2010 03:23:31 AM
Old 02-26-2010
Maybe this characterset is not installed, check the directory /usr/lib/locale to see, what locales are installed.

sys-unconfig is a really bad advice, because it undos the system configuration and returns the system to factory default.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 8 locale setting

Hello does anybody know how to change the LC_TIME locale on solaris 8 to dd/mm/YYYY currently it is set to. #locale -ck LC_TIME d_fmt="%m/%d/%y" Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thangorn
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Couldn't set locale correctly

When a user connects via ssh to one of out Sun V120 boxes the following message is displayed. "couldn't set locale correctly" The .profile has the following line # @(#)local.profile 1.6 98/02/06 SMI stty istrip stty erase ^H So I put a set -x in the .profile and re sourced it and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mattd
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

Command to set locale for my linux machine

Hi, I need to set a locale to my linux machine which has redhat enterprise linux 4 how should I do that. And also when i did locale -a, I have got three versions for each locale type with different .extensions like utf8,iso88951 and soon which file should I use for setting locale. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
1 Replies

4. Solaris

hi All, I'm using sun OS 5.10. All locales are set to en_US.ISO8859-1 in /etc/profile/init file. I'm using one functional user.When I tried to "sesu - functionalUser",its giving me error like "Couldn't set locale correctly".In functional user profile i'm tring to set locales to en_US.After... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kathraji
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Hello, I have a recently configured machine that when log into it as a user or remotely as root it displays "Couldn't set locale correctly" When I type locale it displays the below which is wrong compared to other machines LC_CTYPE="C" LC_NUMERIC="C" LC_TIME="C" LC_COLLATE="C"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr Pink
7 Replies

6. Solaris

couldn't set locale correctly

Dear All, I Have problem at my console (Ultra 24, solaris 10 x86), when i type dmesg always come out : like this You have new mail. root@console # bash root@console # dmesg couldn't set locale correctly couldn't set locale correctly So how to fix it...? Best Regards simbah (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbah_jiman
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Install Locale in Solaris 9

Hi, I want to install en_US.UTF-8 locale on a solaris 9 system, can anyone please tell me how? (command and which CD to use) ---------- Post updated at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:56 AM ---------- Got it,.. 3. How do I add a locale after installing the Base Product? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mack1982
3 Replies

8. Solaris

LC_ALL & LANG are set OK, but others couldn't set locale correctly.

Hi, I have a Solaris (SunOS 5.10) installed, by default with the en_AU.UTF-8 locale. I want to change it to en_US.UTF-8 With AU, I have no issues whatsoever, so I installed the language package and now locale -a shows "en_US.UTF-8". Problem is even with LC_ALL set in etc/default/init, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asdfg
2 Replies

9. Solaris

How to set the japanese locale in Solaris 10

Pls help me to set the japanese locale in Solaris 10. I have checked JP locale has been already installed on Solaris BOX. Thanks, Karan N (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nirka01
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 11 - Changing systems default locale

Different in Solaris 10 in that you don't just edit TIMEZONE file. LANG is currently set to en_US.UTF-8 and want it to be C. Heres what I did:- # svccfg -s svc:/system/environment:init setprop environment/LANG = astring: C # svcadm refresh svc:/system/environment And afterwards these are... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
7 Replies
sys-unconfig(1M)					  System Administration Commands					  sys-unconfig(1M)

NAME
sys-unconfig - undo a system's configuration SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/sys-unconfig DESCRIPTION
The sys-unconfig command is used to restore a system's configuration to an "as-manufactured" state, ready to be reconfigured again. The system's configuration consists of hostname, Network Information Service (NIS) domain name, timezone, IP address, IP subnet mask, and root password. This operation is the inverse of those performed by the sysidnet(1M), sysidns(1M), and sysidsys(1M) programs run at boot. See sysidtool(1M). sys-unconfig does the following: o Saves current /etc/inet/hosts file information in /etc/inet/hosts.saved. o If the current /etc/vfstab file contains NFS mount entries, saves the /etc/vfstab file to /etc/vfstab.orig. o Restores the default /etc/inet/hosts file. o Removes the default hostname in /etc/hostname.interface files for all interfaces configured when this command is run. To determine which interfaces are configured, run the command 'ifconfig-a'. The /etc/hostname.interface files corresponding to all of the inter- faces listed in the resulting output, with the exception of the loopback interface (lo0), will be removed. o Removes the default domainname in /etc/defaultdomain. o Restores the timezone to PST8PDT in /etc/TIMEZONE. o Disables the Network Information Service (NIS) and Network Information Service Plus (NIS+) if either NIS or NIS+ was configured. o Removes the file /etc/inet/netmasks. o Removes the file /etc/defaultrouter. o Removes the password set for root in /etc/shadow. o Removes the file /etc/.rootkey. o Executes all system configuration applications. These applications are defined by prior executions of a sysidconfig -a application. (See sysidconfig(1M)). When sys-unconfig is run, all system configuration applications are passed one argument, -u. o Removes the file /etc/resolv.conf. o Disables LDAP by removing /var/ldap/ldap_client_cache, /var/ldap/ldap_client_file, /var/ldap/ldap_client_cred, and /var/ldap/cachemgr.log. o Regenerates keys for sshd(1M). When sys-unconfig is finished, it performs a system shutdown. sys-unconfig is a potentially dangerous utility and can only be run by the super user. FILES
/etc/default/init process control initialization /etc/defaultdomain /etc/defaultrouter /etc/hostname.interface /etc/inet/hosts host name database /etc/inet/netmasks network mask database /etc/nodename /etc/.rootkey super-user's secret key /etc/shadow shadow password file /etc/vfstab virtual file system table /var/nis/NIS_COLD_START /var/yp/binding/*/ypservers ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWadmap | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
init(1M), kdmconfig(1M), sshd(1M), sysidconfig(1M), sysidtool(1M), hosts(4), netmasks(4), shadow(4), attributes(5) NOTES
sys-unconfig is not available on diskless clients. SunOS 5.10 4 Jun 2004 sys-unconfig(1M)