Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting PERL - Selecting specific files based on 'date stamp' values Post 302398937 by ganapati on Friday 26th of February 2010 01:07:58 AM
Old 02-26-2010
Thanks for your approach 'bigearsbilly'.

But are there any otherway, than the aphanumeric comparision for the date field? I'm very curious to know more?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Zip the files from date Stamp to end date Stamp

Hi, I need to zip the list of files using from date Stamp to end date Stamp, How can I filter and make FromDate_EndDate.gzip? any idea? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to delete the files based on the time stamp of the file

Hi Everyone, I want to delete some files in a path based on the time stamp of the file that is i want to delete the file once in a month. Can any one help me on this? Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samudha
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search for files based on the time stamp

Hi All, I know the timestamp of a file. Now i would like to list all the files in the with the same time stamp in the same file. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. sunny (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunny_03
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete Files Based on Datetime Stamp

I have a Unix directory, let's call it /home/id for example purposes. It contains the following files: oldfile.txt.20091101, oldfile.txt.20091102, oldfile.txt.20091103, etc. I am trying to create a Korn Shell script that will go to /home/id and delete any oldfile.txt that has a datetime stamp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ijmoore
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting rows based on values in columns

Hi My pipe delimited .txt file contains rows with 10 columns. Can anyone advise how I output to file only those rows with the letters ‘ci' as the first 2 characters in the 3rd column ? Many thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malts18
4 Replies

6. Programming

selecting values of date

In a table, date is stored in a column as "2011-01-4". If I write query to get the dates > "2011-01-06" , then the date "2011-01-4" is also listed. The date stored in the column is a varchar datatype. So how can I make a query to not display the date "2011-01-4" ? Is there any solution ? Thank... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gameboy87
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining multiple files based on one column with different and similar values (shell or perl)

Hi, I have nine files looking similar to file1 & file2 below. File1: 1 ABCA1 1 ABCC8 1 ABR:N 1 ACACB 1 ACAP2 1 ACOT1 1 ACSBG 1 ACTR1 1 ACTRT 1 ADAMT 1 AEN:N 1 AKAP1File2: 1 A4GAL 1 ACTBL 1 ACTL7 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seqbiologist
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting lowest and highest values in columns 1 and 2, based on subsets in column 3

Hi, I have a file with the following columns: 361459 447394 CHL1 290282 290282 CHL1 361459 447394 CHL1 361459 447394 CHL1 178352861 178363529 AGA 178352861 178363529 AGA 178363657 178363657 AGA Essentially, using CHL1 as an example. For any line that has CHL1 in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hubleo
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Randomly selecting sequences and generating specific output files

I have two files containing hundreds of different sequences with the same Identifiers (ID-001, ID-002, etc.,), something like this: Infile1: ID-001 ATGGGAGCGGGGGCGTCTGCCTTGAGGGGAGAGAAGCTAGATACA ID-002 ATGGGAGCGGGGGCGTCTGTTTTGAGGGGAGAGAAGCTAGATACA ID-003... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
18 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl:Script to append date and time stamp

Help with Perl script : I have a web.xml file with a line <display-name>some_text_here</display-name> Need to append the current date and time stamp to the string and save the XML file Something like <display-name>some_text_here._01_23_2014_03_56_33</display-name> -->Finally want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurav99
5 Replies
SORTM(1)							     [nmh-1.5]								  SORTM(1)

NAME
sortm - sort messages SYNOPSIS
sortm [+folder] [msgs] [-datefield field] [-textfield field] [-notextfield] [-limit days] [-nolimit] [-verbose | -noverbose] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Sortm sorts the specified messages in the named folder according to the chronological order of the "Date:" field of each message. The -verbose switch directs sortm to tell the user the general actions that it is taking to place the folder in sorted order. The -datefield field switch tells sortm the name of the field to use when making the date comparison. If the user has a special field in each message, such as "BB-Posted:" or "Delivery-Date:", then the -datefield switch can be used to direct sortm which field to examine. The -textfield field switch causes sortm to sort messages by the specified text field. If this field is "subject", any leading "re:" is stripped off. In any case, all characters except letters and numbers are stripped and the resulting strings are sorted datefield-major, textfield-minor, using a case insensitive comparison. With -textfield field, if -limit days is specified, messages with similar textfields that are dated within `days' of each other appear together. Specifying -nolimit makes the limit infinity. With -limit 0, the sort is instead made textfield-major, date-minor. For example, to order a folder by date-major, subject-minor, use: sortm -textfield subject +folder FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder SEE ALSO
folder(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder `msgs"'defaultstoall" `-datefield' defaults to date `-notextfield' `-noverbose' `-nolimit' CONTEXT
If a folder is given, it will become the current folder. If the current message is moved, sortm will preserve its status as current. HISTORY
Timezones used to be ignored when comparing dates: they aren't any more. Messages which were in the folder, but not specified by `msgs', used to be moved to the end of the folder; now such messages are left untouched. Sortm sometimes did not preserve the message numbering in a folder (e.g., messages 1, 3, and 5, might have been renumbered to 1, 2, 3 after sorting). This was a bug, and has been fixed. To compress the message numbering in a folder, use "folder -pack" as always. BUGS
If sortm encounters a message without a date-field, or if the message has a date-field that sortm cannot parse, then sortm attempts to keep the message in the same relative position. This does not always work. For instance, if the first message encountered lacks a date which can be parsed, then it will usually be placed at the end of the messages being sorted. When sortm complains about a message which it can't temporally order, it complains about the message number prior to sorting. It should indicate what the message number will be after sorting. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 SORTM(1)