Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting For loop and running 2 commands at once? Post 302398934 by kshji on Friday 26th of February 2010 01:06:05 AM
Old 02-26-2010
Sorry, my term "posixsh" is not good in this case. This kind of array init is not in posix defination.
Many of current sh support it. Like ksh93, bash, zsh, ... but not in dash which is posix-sh without extension.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

running start up commands

Hi all How can I setup my shell so that I run a set of commmands or a script every time I login. I am using kshell. I tried putting a line in ./.bash_profile (does not work) Ex.: I want to use vi as the commandline editor so, I want to run the command: set -o vi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

running commands from script

I'm new to unix and I have a fairly simple problem: Lets say I am in a specific directory and I run the command: "dirs" , I get an output of all the folders that i pushed into the stack (as expected), buut, when when I create a script (called test): #! /bin/csh dirs and then i run:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: owijust
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to disable running commands from vi

Hello, We have a requirement to disable running shell commands via vi using "!". Can anybody please suggest how to disable this option. The requirement arises because we open up a xterm window with a config file in vi mode for the customer to edit. After the customer edits the config... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Umesh_Sharoff
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

running commands from outside of bash

Hello all! I have two consoles.I know the PID of these two.Now I want to execute a command in console#1 but from console#2. How can I achieve this? Anyone can do something for my query? Click here if you can't understand my query or to know the need for this query. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakabarp
3 Replies

5. Programming

Running shell commands from C/C++

Hi guys, I know using system() we can run unix commands but the problem is, I can't get any returns with the system(). I am returning stuff from my shell scripts that I need to be able to read from my C code. Anybody has cure to this problem? :)) Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alirezan
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running two commands in one line

hi! how do i run 2 command from the same line e.g: 'which screen' and then ls -la 'which screen' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdns
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running sed commands

Hello I need to run some sed commands but it involves "/" in the substitute or delete, any ideas how I get round the problem. Example: cat file1.txt | sed -e '/</Header>/d' > file2.txt This errors due to the forward slash before the Header text. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dolph
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Code for running commands one after other

I need an if code in shell script where it should continue to further commands after succesfully installing the executable file. i.e. /run installer is continuing but in the middle it executes further commands like "cp /root/user which were given after /run installer. I want /runinstaller... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriki32
16 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Echo out running commands

Is there any way in a script to print out the commands being ran? In DOS script, there is the "@echo on" and "@echo off". so I have a script like this: #!/bin/ksh echo "hello there. moving files." <turn on echoing here> cp thisfile.txt thatfile.txt cp whatfile.prop whyfile.prop <turn... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronron5477
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running two commands in background

Hi I want to run two commands in background, i am using below way, but it is not working, i m calling these two commands from one script to another server where below commands are running, in my script ssh is working fine, but command is not going in background, please advise what should i do. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
10 Replies
break(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)