Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read a file and create egrep variable Post 302398836 by Scott on Thursday 25th of February 2010 05:49:38 PM
Old 02-25-2010
As a hint, perhaps:
Code:
$ cat file1
a
b
c
$ paste -sd\| file1
a|b|c

You have a lot of useless uses of cat there.
Code:
cat file | grep ...

can easily be done using
Code:
grep ... file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read words from file and create new file using K-shell.

Hi All, Please help me in creating files through K-shell scripts. I am having one file in this format. OWNER.TABLE_NAME OWNER.TABLE_NAME1 OWNER1.TABLE_NAME OWNER1.TABLE_NAME1 I want to read the above file and create new file through k shell script. The new file should looks like this.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsrajirs
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read mp3 filename and create one XML for each file

Hi: I have a collection of mp3s and I need to create 1 xml file per mp3. I have: recording1.mp3 recording2.mp3 etc and I want to generate this kind of files. recording1.xml recording2.xml and inside each xml file I need to add a url prefix and then the filename at the end. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jason7
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a file and search a value in another file create third file using AWK

Hi, I have two files with the format shown below. I need to read first field(value before comma) from file 1 and search for a record in file 2 that has the same value in the field "KEY=" and write the complete record of file 2 with corresponding field 2 of the first file in to result file. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: King Kalyan
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read multiple log files and create output file and put the result

OS : Linux 2.6.9-67 - Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 Looking for a script that reads the following log files that gets generated everynight between 2 - 5am Master_App_20090717.log Master_App1_20090717.log Master_App2_20090717.log Master_App3_20090717.log... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aavam
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read a flat file, evaluate and create output. UNIX SCRIPT.

Hi all, I have a flat file as below; 470423495|1||TSA-A000073800||1|||1 471423495|1||TSA-A000073800||5|||5 472423495|1||TSA-A000073800||2|||7 473423495|1||TSA-A000073800||3|||3 I like to create a Unix script. The script have to valuate the last two columns, if the values are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a shell script to read a foldername from a text file and go to the folder?

Hi, I am trying to write a shell script which can read folder names from a text file and then go to the folder and picks up a xml file and write on my sipp script so that I can run the sipp script. For example: I have a text file called thelist.txt where I have provided all the folders... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pm1504
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Egrep a variable

I am trying a bash shell script to egrep a variable. For example, I will be taking input from user and want to use it with egrep -v as follows - lvg=rootvg echo -e "Enter local vg name \c "; read lvg egrep -v '#|x|y|$lvg' /filename >> /newfilename Please advice, how I can do that? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atanubanerji
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to read through a file and create new users/assign them to groups in Ubuntu

Hi all. I need a shell script that can, in short, read through a text file line by line and create a new user in Ubuntu, as well as assign that user to a group. The format of the text file is not important but preferably: 'username:group'. I don't have much programming knowledge no matter shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LewisWeekly
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read log file to create Performance index

I am required to create a CSV file reading last 200000 lines form a log file. I have to grep 3 parameters from this log file and write these parameters in the .csv file, with time stamp. This script will be setup in a cron job which will run every 10 minutes. I have written the script but it is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crazy_Nix
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read Lines from One file.. and create another.. and

Hello Members, I have one file which contains million of supplier code. I need to load these codes into database 1000 at a time. Database procedure reads from an external table which is based on the unix files. All I want to do is to read from the bigger file e.g. MAIN_FILE.txt and create... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chetanojha
1 Replies
XZGREP(1)							     XZ Utils								 XZGREP(1)

NAME
xzgrep - search compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
xzgrep [grep_options] [-e] pattern file... xzegrep ... xzfgrep ... lzgrep ... lzegrep ... lzfgrep ... DESCRIPTION
xzgrep invokes grep(1) on files which may be either uncompressed or compressed with xz(1), lzma(1), gzip(1), or bzip2(1). All options specified are passed directly to grep(1). If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep(1). When reading from standard input, gzip(1) and bzip2(1) compressed files are not supported. If xzgrep is invoked as xzegrep or xzfgrep then egrep(1) or fgrep(1) is used instead of grep(1). The same applies to names lzgrep, lze- grep, and lzfgrep, which are provided for backward compatibility with LZMA Utils. ENVIRONMENT
GREP If the GREP environment variable is set, xzgrep uses it instead of grep(1), egrep(1), or fgrep(1). SEE ALSO
grep(1), xz(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), zgrep(1) Tukaani 2009-07-05 XZGREP(1)