Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat edit/write the /etc/fstab file Post 302398332 by chuikingman on Wednesday 24th of February 2010 09:19:18 AM
Old 02-24-2010
edit/write the /etc/fstab file

Hi,
I comment out some vol group in fstab accidentally.
I also comment the swap space in /etc/fstab
But I cannot edit /remove it back by using vi /etc/fstab again in init 1 and init 6 .
The file system /etc/fstab is read -only . I cannot chmod .....
What can I do in order to recover it
Please advice ....
I paste the console screen in here .
edit/write the /etc/fstab file-fstab_errjpg
edit/write the /etc/fstab file-fstab_err1jpg
edit/write the /etc/fstab file-fstab_err2jpg

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

/etc/fstab

I've created a new drive and i've added it to my fstab file but on startup it will not mount. here is how i put it into my fstab file, is that right? /dev/hdb2 /disk2a ext3 defaults 1 2 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: byblyk
6 Replies

2. Linux

How to edit /etc/fstab when root was mounted as read only

can somebody help me out in editing the /etc/fstab. I am on RHEL5 (Tikanga). **The problem is that i have given a wrong LABEL in /etc/fstab for root volume and so after reboot, it is unable to resolve the wrong LABEL; so, i have to edit the /etc/fstab :-( -ilan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilan
3 Replies

3. Linux

Parameter to edit in /etc/fstab in RH 8.0

Hi All, In RH 8.0, I am not able to mount USB pendrive. I know one method where in /etc/fstab is to be edited, so that it points to a directory /mnt/usb. After that it mount automatically. Unfortunately, i have forgotten the parameter to add in /etc/fstab-can anyone help me please? Thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptlearner
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Edit the file content and create new file

I have a requirement, which is as follows *. Folder contains list of xmls. Script has to create new xml files by copying the existing one and renaming it by appending "_pre.xml" at the end. *. Each file has multiple <Name>fileName</Name> entry. The script has to find the first occurance of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudesh.ach
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

read/write,write/write lock with smbclient fails

Hi, We have smb client running on two of the linux boxes and smb server on another linux system. During a backup operation which uses smb, read of a file was allowed while write to the same file was going on.Also simultaneous writes to the same file were allowed.Following are the settings in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatidas11
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fstab

hi , i'm creating a shell script using fstab for my project of last year, i wonder you can help me to know what is the command allow me to get the list of unmounted partitions. thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux001
4 Replies

7. SCO

How to write/edit text in russian on SCO

Hello. I'm new to unix, and I want to write/edit text files in russian on SCO 5.0.7. Is it possible and how to do this. I tried to add russian support in KDE using kikbd, but unsuccessful. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: OpG_
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Effects of /etc/fstab file!

Hi Folks! I accidentally overwrote in /etc/fstab file. Can you guys please tell me, what impact it would have created, when I restarted the machine(RHEL6). I executed this command : # blkid /dev/vda5 > /etc/fstab (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
17 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace value in fstab file?

Hi, I am looking to replace value (fifth and sixth ) column to "0 0" in /etc/fstab file by scripting. can any one please help me. /dev/VolGroup00/tmp /tmp ext3 defaults 1 1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yash_message
2 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Create zip file from root owned fstab

I want to zip up my fstab file for backup purposes. This does not work because of permission issues. cd /etc/ zip -u fstab.zip fstab Can I use this with zip? echo xxx | sudo -S or change fstab owner to me? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
3 Replies
SWAPON(8)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 SWAPON(8)

NAME
swapon, swapoff - enable/disable devices and files for paging and swapping SYNOPSIS
/sbin/swapon [-h -V] /sbin/swapon -a [-v] [-e] /sbin/swapon [-v] [-p priority] specialfile ... /sbin/swapon [-s] /sbin/swapoff [-h -V] /sbin/swapoff -a /sbin/swapoff specialfile ... DESCRIPTION
Swapon is used to specify devices on which paging and swapping are to take place. Calls to swapon normally occur in the system multi-user initialization file /etc/rc making all swap devices available, so that the paging and swapping activity is interleaved across several devices and files. Normally, the first form is used: -h Provide help -V Display version -s Display swap usage summary by device. Equivalent to "cat /proc/swaps". Not available before Linux 2.1.25. -a All devices marked as ``swap'' swap devices in /etc/fstab are made available. Devices that are already running as swap are silently skipped. -e When -a is used with swapon, -e makes swapon silently skip devices that do not exist. -p priority Specify priority for swapon. This option is only available if swapon was compiled under and is used under a 1.3.2 or later kernel. priority is a value between 0 and 32767. See swapon(2) for a full description of swap priorities. Add pri=value to the option field of /etc/fstab for use with swapon -a. Swapoff disables swapping on the specified devices and files. When the -a flag is given, swapping is disabled on all known swap devices and files (as found in /proc/swaps or /etc/fstab). NOTE
You should not use swapon on a file with holes. Swap over NFS may not work. SEE ALSO
swapon(2), swapoff(2), fstab(5), init(8), mkswap(8), rc(8), mount(8) FILES
/dev/hd?? standard paging devices /dev/sd?? standard (SCSI) paging devices /etc/fstab ascii filesystem description table HISTORY
The swapon command appeared in 4.0BSD. Linux 1.x 25 September 1995 SWAPON(8)