Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting count and compare no of records in bash shell script. Post 302398328 by bsnithin on Wednesday 24th of February 2010 09:03:29 AM
Old 02-24-2010
Hope this works as you expect
Code:
#!/bin/ksh

no_D=`grep "^D" inp.txt | wc -l`
no_T=`grep "^T" inp.txt | wc -l`

if [ $no_D -gt $no_T ]
then
echo "More rows with D"
else
echo "More rows with T"
fi

You can add your logic in if else block.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count No of Records in File without counting Header and Trailer Records

I have a flat file and need to count no of records in the file less the header and the trailer record. I would appreciate any and all asistance Thanks Hadi Lalani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count the occurences of a specific word in a file in bash shell

Hello, I want to count the occurences of a specific word in a .txt file in bash shell. Can somebody help me pleaze?? Thanks!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mskart
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash script to extract spf records

Hello I am trying to generate a script to run on worldwide firewalls. I need the spf block for large sites like google, etc so I can essentially whitelist google sites for users. (Google here is just an example...) Right now I am just testing Bash oneliners to see how I can isolate the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mbubb
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to compare files, check current date and count

Hello - I have written the following basic shell script to count files, compare files and look for a particular strings in a file. Problem 1: How do I define more than 1 file location? #!/bin/bash #this is a test script FILES=$(ls /home/student/bin/dir1, home/student/bin/dir2)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to count number of ~ from each line and compare with next line

Hi, I have created one shell script in which it will count number of "~" tilda charactors from each line of the file.But the problem is that i need to count each line count individually, that means. if line one contains 14 "~"s and line two contains 15 "~"s then it should give an error msg.each... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh Khandare
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to count particular type of records

Hi, I have a huge file containing thousands of records which are of following pattern: TYPE1 { originNodeType : "IVR" originHostName : "AAIVR" originTransactionID : "01310559" originTimeStamp : "20110620192440+0530" hostName : "hhhh" voucher : '0'D rProfileID : "ZZZZ" Before {... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhukar1anand
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nawk script to compare records of a file based on a particular column.

Hi Gurus, I am struggling with nawk command where i am processing a file based on columns. Here is the sample data file. UM113570248|24-AUG-11|4|man1|RR211 Alert: Master Process failure |24-AUG-11 UM113570624|24-AUG-11|4|man1| Alert: Pattern 'E_DCLeDAOException' found |24-AUG-11... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files with different number of records and output only the Extra records from file1

Hi Freinds , I have 2 files . File 1 |nag|HYd|1|Che |esw|Gun|2|hyd |pra|bhe|3|hyd |omu|hei|4|bnsj |uer|oeri|5|uery File 2 |nag|HYd|1|Che |esw|Gun|2|hyd |uer|oi|3|uery output : (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to compare count of two csv files

Hi Guys, I need to write a script to compare the count of two csv files each having 5 columns. Everyday a csv file is recived. Now we need to compare the count of todays csv file with yesterday's csv file and if the total count of records is same in todays csv file and yesterday csv file out... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vivekit82
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX Script required for count the records in table

Hi Friends, I looking for the script for the count of the records in table. and then it's containg the zero records then should get abort. and should notify us through mail. Can you please help me out in this area i am lacking. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: victory
5 Replies
CHECKBASHISMS(1)					      General Commands Manual						  CHECKBASHISMS(1)

NAME
checkbashisms - check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts SYNOPSIS
checkbashisms script ... checkbashisms --help|--version DESCRIPTION
checkbashisms, based on one of the checks from the lintian system, performs basic checks on /bin/sh shell scripts for the possible presence of bashisms. It takes the names of the shell scripts on the command line, and outputs warnings if possible bashisms are detected. Note that the definition of a bashism in this context roughly equates to "a shell feature that is not required to be supported by POSIX"; this means that some issues flagged may be permitted under optional sections of POSIX, such as XSI or User Portability. In cases where POSIX and Debian Policy disagree, checkbashisms by default allows extensions permitted by Policy but may also provide options for stricter checking. OPTIONS
--help, -h Show a summary of options. --newline, -n Check for "echo -n" usage (non POSIX but required by Debian Policy 10.4.) --posix, -p Check for issues which are non POSIX but required to be supported by Debian Policy 10.4 (implies -n). --force, -f Force each script to be checked, even if it would normally not be (for instance, it has a bash or non POSIX shell shebang or appears to be a shell wrapper). --extra, -x Highlight lines which, whilst they do not contain bashisms, may be useful in determining whether a particular issue is a false posi- tive which may be ignored. For example, the use of "$BASH_ENV" may be preceded by checking whether "$BASH" is set. --version, -v Show version and copyright information. EXIT VALUES
The exit value will be 0 if no possible bashisms or other problems were detected. Otherwise it will be the sum of the following error val- ues: 1 A possible bashism was detected. 2 A file was skipped for some reason, for example, because it was unreadable or not found. The warning message will give details. SEE ALSO
lintian(1). AUTHOR
checkbashisms was originally written as a shell script by Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org> and rewritten in Perl with many more features by Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities CHECKBASHISMS(1)