Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract difference of two columns from different rows Post 302398259 by sam_2921 on Wednesday 24th of February 2010 05:44:35 AM
Old 02-24-2010
Yes, you are right Vivek but I have corrected the data now. Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between two rows

Dears, I have a list as follows, 2 4 8 If I want to find the difference between two consecutive rows. Then I have to store the specific rows in two variables and then find the difference. Could someone tell how this can be done. Regards, (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JimJim
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between corresponding elements of successive rows

Hi, I have a file in the following format a1 b1 c1 d1 a2 b2 c2 d2 a3 b3 c3 d3 a4 b4 c4 d4 I need a script to find the difference between corresponding values of successive rows. So the output would have one less row than the input file and should look like: a2-a1 b2-b1 c2-c1 d2-d1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajal.bhatia
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract values from a matrix given the rows and columns

Hi All, I have a huge (and its really huge!) matrix about 400GB in size (2 million rows by 1.5 million columns) . I am trying to optimize its space by creating a sparse representation of it. Miniature version of the matrix looks like this (matrix.mtx): 3.4543 65.7876 54.564 2.12344... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract several columns with few rows

Hello, I want to extract several columns and rows from a huge tab delimited file for example: I want to print from from column 3 to 68 till row number 30. I have tried using cut command but it was extracting whole 3rd and 68th column. Please suggest a solution. Ryan (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryan9011
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all the fields(columns) from a .csv file if all rows in that columns are blanks

Hi Friends, I have come across some files where some of the columns don not have data. Key, Data1,Data2,Data3,Data4,Data5 A,5,6,,10,, A,3,4,,3,, B,1,,4,5,, B,2,,3,4,, If we see the above data on Data5 column do not have any row got filled. So remove only that column(Here Data5) and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding difference in 1st field for rows of data

I have a file that has multiple lines, of grouped data, that typically all have the same values in the 1st field, however, I would like to search the 1st field for any differences and set a flag to use in an "if" statement to run some other routine. An example of the typical file is below,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: co21ss
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluate 2 columns, add sum IF two columns match on two rows

Hi all, I know this sounds suspiciously like a homework course; but, it is not. My goal is to take a file, and match my "ID" column to the "Date" column, if those conditions are true, add the total number of minutes worked and place it in this file, while not printing the original rows that I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mtucker6784
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 csv files by columns, then extract certain columns of matcing rows

Hi all, I'm pretty much a newbie to UNIX. I would appreciate any help with UNIX coding on comparing two large csv files (greater than 10 GB in size), and output a file with matching columns. I want to compare file1 and file2 by 'id' and 'chain' columns, then extract exact matching rows'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkane3
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract rows with different values at 2 columns

Hallo, I would need to extract only rows which has different value in the second and third column. Thank you very much for any advices Input: A 0 0 B 0 1 C 1 1 D 1 3 Output B 0 1 D 1 3 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamcamonty
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating Time difference Between two Rows in Linux

16:45:51 10051 77845 16:45:51 10051 77845 16:46:52 10051 77846 16:46:53 10051 77846 Match the last PID then subtract second line time with first line. Please help me with any command or script. working in media company on a project OS: RHEl7 tried command: awk 'function... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivekn
2 Replies
TE(1p)							User Contributed Perl Documentation						    TE(1p)

NAME
te (table editor) - front-end that simplifies editing tab-delimited text tables SYNOPSIS
te file1 [ file2 ... ] DESCRIPTION
This program makes it easier to edit tab-delimited ASCII tables, such as are used with Interchange (see icdevgroup.org), and can be exported from many popular spreadsheet and database applications. It converts tab-delimited ASCII files that have one record per line into temporary files with one field per line, each line beginning with the field name. It then sends each file to your favorite text editor. After you exit your editor, it checks to see if you changed anything in the file, and if so, it converts the data back to the tab-delimited format with one record per line, and replaces the original file. The first line of each input file must contain the field names, tab-delimited, that apply for that file. Editing is pretty straightforward when you see it in action. The rules are: o Empty lines are ignored. o Comment lines (beginning with "#") are ignored at the beginning of the file, and terminate a record in the middle. o The fields in the first record are used in all subsequent records, and the order in which they are specified are the order in which the columns will be written. o To delete a column, delete its line in the first record. o To change which order the columns are in, re-order the first record. o To add a column, add it to the first record (and as many subsequent records as you wish). Note that if you're using the "extended" option (-e), you can't add new columns, because they can't be distinguished from the extended fields that go into the serialized hash. You'd need to do that in a separate pass. o If you delete a column, you do not need to delete it from every record; any instances of that field in records after the first will be ignored. o Any space left after the field name and colon (like "fieldname:") will be included as part of the field. Any tabs you put in the field data itself will be converted to spaces (as they would corrupt the table otherwise). o A record can be deleted by removing all its fields. A new record can be added by inserting a new block of all fields at a record boundary. o If any errors are encountered, such as non-existent field names or lines that don't follow the prescribed format, processing aborts immediately and the original file is left untouched. You can edit several files in succession by naming each on the command line. The editor will be called for each one independently. If you start editing many files and decide you want to stop, add a line "#DONE" anywhere in the temporary file and save it. The current file will be processed and saved, but the rest will be skipped. As is customary with many Unix applications, you can set the environment variables VISUAL or EDITOR to point to your favorite text editor. If neither of those is set, my favorite editor, vi(1) is used. Options will also be read from environment variable TE_OPTIONS if it is set. AUTHOR
Jon Jensen <jon@endpoint.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002-2008 Jon Jensen and others Copyright (C) 2001-2002 Red Hat, Inc. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License at http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/gpl.html for more details. VERSION
2008-04-12 02:33:40 CHANGELOG
2001-04-26. Initial release. 2001-05-04. Make temporary file in working directory instead of using POSIX::tmpnam. Keep ownership and permissions of original file. Fixed bug that caused fields with number "0" to be output as empty strings. 2001-05-06. Fix problem with how temporary file names were generated. 2001-07-31. Check for VISUAL environment variable, and handle editor options there or in EDITOR if given. Take advantage of Digest::MD5's native file reading instead of doing it ourselves. 2001-10-03. Added gvim support by forcing foreground option -f. 2002-07-23. Remove line endings whether CR, LF, or CRLF, instead of using running Perl's platform-specific chomp. If preserving a trailing solitary CR in the last field of a line is important, you'll want to change this behavior. 2002-08-30. Add option -s for starting value support (really only vi). te -s os28004 <file> Jumps to first occurrence of "os28004" in <file>. Option -i ignores case in the search. (By Mike Heins.) 2002-09-02. Add option -f to handle files without field names. 2002-09-03. Add option -n to number rows in comments. Allow setting of persistent options in environment variable TE_OPTIONS. 2004-06-07. Fixed bug that misinterpreted file as having no data rows when last line of file was empty. 2005-08-29. Added ability to delete, re-order, or add columns by placing them in the first record. 2005-11-15. Added support for extended columns containing Perl serialized hashes with the -e option. 2008-04-11. Added option -o to write output to a file and exit, never invoking an editor. By Greg Sabino Mullane. perl v5.14.2 2011-03-09 TE(1p)