Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk: creating a fixed-width single file from 2 different files Post 302398254 by clx on Wednesday 24th of February 2010 05:33:54 AM
Old 02-24-2010
day.txt has only 2 records!?

try if it works,

Code:
/home->cat day.txt 
/home->cat item.txt 
/home->cat str.txt 
/home->while read line; do printf "%-20d\n" $line;done< item.txt > item.tmp
/home->while read line; do printf "%-20d 0\n" $line;done< str.txt > str.tmp
/home->paste -d '' day.txt item.tmp | paste -d ' ' - str.tmp > outfile.txt
/home->rm item.tmp str.tmp
/home->cat outfile.txt
20090101123456789101         1                    0
2009010212345678910209       12                   0
200901021234567891           123                  0
/home->

I expect an awk solution which would be simpler.

Last edited by clx; 02-24-2010 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: added "> outfile.txt"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fixed Width file using AWK

I am using the following command at the Unix prompt to make my 'infile' into a fixed width file of 100 characters. awk '{printf "%-100s\n",$0}' infile > outfile However, there are some records with a special character "©" These records are using 3 characters in place of one and my record... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alok.benjwal
2 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Help with Fixed width File Parsing

I am trying to parse a Fixed width file with data as below. I am trying to assign column values from each record to variables. When I parse the data, the spaces in all coumns are dropped. I would like to retain the spaces as part of the dat stored in the variables. Any help is appreciated. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sate911
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

edit entire column from a fixed-width file using awk or sed

Col1 Col2 Col3 Col4 12 Completed 08 0830 12 In Progress 09 0829 11 For F U 07 0828 Considering the file above, how could i replace the third column the most efficient way? The actual file size is almost 1G. I am... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamahomekarasu
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fixed Width Join & Pad Sed/Awk Help

I was wondering someone might be able to push me in the right direction, I am writing a script to modify fixed-width spool files, As you can see below the original spool file broke a single line into two for printability sake. I have had been able do the joins using sed, the thing I am... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cho Nagurai
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending string (charachters inside the line) to a fixed width file using awk or sed

Source File: abcdefghijklmnop01qrstuvwxyz abcdefghijklmnop02qrstuvwxyz abcdefghijklmnop03qrstuvwxyz abcdefghijklmnop04qrstuvwxyz abcdefghijklmnop05qrstuvwxyz Whatever characters are in 17-18 on each line of the file, it should be concatenated to the same line at the character number... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamahomekarasu
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Length of a fixed width file

I have a fixed width file of length 53. when is try to get the lengh of the record of that file i get 2 different answers. awk '{print length;exit}' <File_name> The above code gives me length 50. wc -L <File_name> The above code gives me length 53. Please clarify on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amrutha24
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print column details from fixed width file using awk command

hi, i have a fixed width file with multiple columns and need to print data using awk command. i use: awk -F "|" '($5 == BH) {print $1,$2,$3}' <non_AIM target>.txt for a delimiter file. but now i have a fixed width file like below: 7518 8269511BH 20141224951050N8262 11148 8269511BH... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcdg859
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace using awk on fixed width file.

All, I used to use following command to replace specific location in a fixed width file. Recently looks like my command stopped working as intended. We are on AIX unix. awk 'function repl(s,f,t,v) { return substr(s,1,f-1) sprintf("%-*s", t-f+1, v) substr(s,t+1) } NR<=10 {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk issue splitting a fixed-width file containing line feed in data

Hi Forum. I have the following script that splits a large fixed-width file into smaller multiple fixed-width files based on input segment type. The main command in the script is: awk -v search_col_pos=$search_col_pos -v search_str_len=$search_str_len -v segment_type="$segment_type"... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining fixed width files

Hi All, I need to join fixed width files on a column which is position 1 to 3 and need to have all the records from file1 file1.txt Cu1nullL1L2 Cu2nullL1L2 Cu3nullL1L2 file2.txt Cu1B1B2 Cu3B1B2 output.txt Cu1L1B1L2B2 Cu2L1L2 Cu3L1B1L2B3 I tried but not getting the expected... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
12 Replies
grcompiler(1)															     grcompiler(1)

NAME
grcompiler - Compile GDL into a TrueType Font SYNOPSIS
grcompiler [-d] [-D] [-g] [-n number] [-v number] [-w number] [-wall] [-q] gdl-file font-file [output-file] [output-fontname] Description Grcompiler compiles a Graphite Description Language description of the smarts for a font along with a TrueType Font to create a graphite font with graphite tables in it. -d Generate XML debugger file. -D Generate all debugger files. -g Permit and ignore invalid glyph definitions. -nnumber Set name table start location. -q Quiet mode (no messages except on error). -vnumber Set Silf table version number. -wnnnn Ignore warning with the given number. This option may be repeated. -wall Display all warnings. Environment grcompiler makes use of the following environment variables GDLPP Specifies the command to execute to run the GDL preprocessor Files gdlerr.txt Warnings and errors are output to this file. dbg_classes.txt Debug file that specifies the classes stored in the font in terms of their GDL source and containing glyph ids in hex. dbg_cmap.txt Debug file giving Unicode to glyph mapping of all the glyphs in the font and vice versa. dbg_enginecode.txt Debug file containing the action code and constraint code associated with each pass and rule in a pass. dbg_fsm.txt Debug file that gives the finite state machines of each pass and the rules referenced. For each pass, a mapping is given between glyph and column number. dbg_glyphattrs.txt Debug file containing all the glyph attributes and their names, along with values specified for each glyph. dbg_parsetree.txt Debug file giving the complete parse tree of the GDL source file. dbg_ruleprec.txt Debug file that lists the rules in precedence order (order in which they will be tested) for each pass. $_temp.gdl Debug file containing the output of gdlpp Author Martin Hosken <mhosken@users.sourceforge.net> $Date: 2012-05-29 11:36:50 $ grcompiler(1)