Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Simplifying my script
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Simplifying my script Post 302398101 by amitranjansahu on Tuesday 23rd of February 2010 11:43:05 PM
Old 02-24-2010
Just add a if condition. If the file "rm1.txt" is there then simply append the output to file else redirect.

Code:
if [ -e rm1.txt ]
then

grep "|" sRMR_6.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_7.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_8.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_9.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_10.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_11.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_12.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_13.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_14.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_15.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_16.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_17.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_18.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_19.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_20.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_21.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_22.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_23.txt >> rm1.txt 

else

grep "|" sRMR_6.txt > rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_7.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_8.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_9.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_10.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_11.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_12.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_13.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_14.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_15.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_16.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_17.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_18.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_19.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_20.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_21.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_22.txt >> rm1.txt
grep "|" sRMR_23.txt >> rm1.txt

fi

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in simplifying a sed command

I need to do a substitution: CPF to ,C,P,F, CPM to ,C,P,M, SPF to ,S,P,F etc. I can do each of them with separate substitutions e.g. s/CPF/,C,P,F/ but I'd like to know if there is a more elegant solution. In general, how can I use the results of the search in the substitution, ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wvdeijk
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simplifying the For loop

Is there a way to simplify stating 1 through to 10, for example in a for loop construct? for x in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 do .... done I have tried (1-10) with no luck.. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirtrancealot
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

simplifying awk

tcpdump -nr testdump|awk '!/:/;gsub(/^+|+$/,""){print $3};a!~$0;{a=$0};{print $3};!/length/;/./;!/11\:/;!/8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1/;!/UDP/{b=$0} END {for (j=i-1; j>=0; ) print b };{for (i=NF; i>0; i--) printf("%s ",i);printf ("\n")}' *NOTE IN j>=0 the ; ) was given a space since a smiley is showing up...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sil
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Undefined "n" value and simplifying script

I have a very 'dirty' bash script that is working and looks like this: #!/bin/bash for i in {1..n} do mv block${i} infile ./dnadist <<-EOF D Y EOF rm infile mv outfile Result${i} mv Result${i} infile ./neighbor <<-EOF Y EOF rm infile rm outfile mv outtree Result${i}... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help simplifying an if statement

the code below is a small fragment of the actual line, in fact i have about 20 values i'm comparing and want to know if it can be simplified. other than the x.xx.xx format of the value they have nothing in common if || || ; then do this else do this fiany suggestions? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simplifying sed/tr

Hi all, I don't have much experience with shell scripting and I was wondering if there's a shorter way to write this. Basically, given a list of strings separated by new lines, I want to prepend each string with a prefix and separate the strings with commas i.e. stra strb strc becomes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vshan
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simplifying awk script using multiple "|"

I have the following script: awk -F "," '{ if ( $4 > 450 && $4 < 550 && $5 > 0.5 ) print $2, $5; else print $2, "0" }' test.txt | awk '{a+=$2}END{for(i in a){print i, a}}' | sort -nk 1.2 | sed 1,2d and a bunch of files that look like the test file attached here. I am outputting all... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simplifying awk/sed short pipeline

I have a file like this: FileName,Well,Sample Description,Size ,Calibrated Conc. ,Assigned Conc. ,Peak Molarity ,Area,% Integrated Area,Peak Comment,Observations 2017-11-15 - 13.49.50.D1000,EL1,Electronic Ladder,25,5.22,,321,0.803,,,Lower Marker 2017-11-15 - 13.49.50.D1000,EL1,Electronic... (6 Replies)
6 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.10 30 Jan 2004 script(1)