Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Add item to crontab
Operating Systems Solaris Add item to crontab Post 302397953 by hydrashok158 on Tuesday 23rd of February 2010 11:42:13 AM
Old 02-23-2010
editing crontab

You can also use the crontab -l a nd redirect to a temp file. Use vi to make your change and then resubmit the file to the cron

e.g.
Code:
crontab -l > /var/tmp/root.txt
vi /var/tmp/root.txt
crontab root.txt

Last edited by Scott; 02-23-2010 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing an item from the dock

Hello! I am able to add an item to the dock with this command: defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-apps -array-add... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: emperorfabulous
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

change some record item

Hi all, I have a file with over 10,000 line, but I would like to update/add some code number (such as 062 below) into the line with <phone number> below: 11111<name> john matin <name> 12345<phone number> 123456 <phone number> 34556 <address> 1234 lucky road <address> 11111<name> john... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find an available item in array

Dear all, I'm have a sorted array like this: 177 220 1001 2000 2001 2003 2005 notice that 2002 and 2004 are NOT in array. Then user input a number INPUT, our script should return OUTPUT value like this: if INPUT is not in array => OUTPUT=INPUT if INPUT is in array => OUTPUT is the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fongthai
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace item..

Hello, I have the following basic script which is remove the fielld. How can I replace another value in the field? Thx!! for file in `cat $listn.txt` do get_file -q $file grep -v '<customer-id>13000</customer-id>' $file > $file.grep done echo All processed file done!! input file:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add cron job in /etc/crontab

Hi, How to add a cron job in /etc/crontab using a shell script.??:confused: Actually the requirement is we need to run a script say, XXX.sh every 10 min through “cron”. That can be achieved by adding the below code line in the /etc/crontab , (i.e., “crontab -e ” command to add this to the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedeepthi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add a script to Crontab?

Hi! We are on AIX 5.3 I have a script that must be run once every hour. How do i add this to the crontab? I know how to access crontab which is, crontab -e. What do i do after that ? If i have the path to the script? Thank you!!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: atechcorp
4 Replies

7. Solaris

cannot add PATH to user crontab file

hi All, here is the problem: I'm not able to specify a PATH inside the user crontab file (/var/spool/cron/crontabs). The only syntax it accepts is the usual "* * * * * file" I'm not able to add PATH, or HOME, or MAILTO, or anything else. when I try to save the crontab, I have the error: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joe_x
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confused on how to script item

I am working on a script that will parse the /proc/meminfo file and return values. I have been able to pull the MemTotal and MemFree from that file but have stumbled on the next thing I want to do - calculate memory used via subtracting MemFree from MemTotal. Would I do something like - ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: flyboynm
5 Replies
CRONTAB(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						CRONTAB(1)

NAME
crontab -- maintain crontab files for individual users (V3) SYNOPSIS
crontab [-u user] file crontab [-u user] { -l | -r | -e } DESCRIPTION
The crontab utility is the program used to install, deinstall or list the tables used to drive the cron(8) daemon in Vixie Cron. Each user can have their own crontab, and though these are files in /var, they are not intended to be edited directly. If the allow file exists, then you must be listed therein in order to be allowed to use this command. If the allow file does not exist but the deny file does exist, then you must not be listed in the deny file in order to use this command. If neither of these files exists, then depending on site-dependent configuration parameters, only the super user will be allowed to use this command, or all users will be able to use this command. The format of these files is one username per line, with no leading or trailing whitespace. Lines of other formats will be ignored, and so can be used for comments. The first form of this command is used to install a new crontab from some named file or standard input if the pseudo-filename '-' is given. The following options are available: -u Specify the name of the user whose crontab is to be tweaked. If this option is not given, crontab examines ``your'' crontab, i.e., the crontab of the person executing the command. Note that su(1) can confuse crontab and that if you are running inside of su(1) you should always use the -u option for safety's sake. -l Display the current crontab on standard output. -r Remove the current crontab. -e Edit the current crontab using the editor specified by the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables. The specified editor must edit the file in place; any editor that unlinks the file and recreates it cannot be used. After you exit from the editor, the modified crontab will be installed automatically. FILES
/var/cron/allow List of users allowed to use crontab /var/cron/deny List of users prohibited from using crontab /var/cron/tabs Directory for personal crontab files DIAGNOSTICS
A fairly informative usage message appears if you run it with a bad command line. SEE ALSO
crontab(5), cron(8) STANDARDS
The crontab command conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') with the exception that the dangerous variant of calling crontab without a file name in the first form of the command is not allowed by this implementation. The pseudo-filename '-' must be specified to read from standard input. The new command syntax differs from previous versions of Vixie Cron, as well as from the classic SVR3 syntax. AUTHORS
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> BSD
May 13, 2010 BSD