Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Is there a unix command to find ALL hostnames for an ip address? Post 302397754 by rukasu on Tuesday 23rd of February 2010 04:02:31 AM
Old 02-23-2010
Thank you for responding. I tried "dig -x <ipaddress>", but it did not return the host names and returned the below. There are websites like dm.tj12.net that can perform Reverse IP and show ALL host names, but I wanted to know what command they were running. If you could share this information, that would be great.

; <<>> DiG 9.4.3-P1 <<>> -x 208.76.86.26
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 29540
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;26.86.76.208.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR

;; ANSWER SECTION:
26.86.76.208.in-addr.arpa. 86400 IN PTR memphis.tchmachines.com.

;; Query time: 428 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.33.1#53(192.168.33.1)
;; WHEN: Tue Feb 23 17:58:38 2010
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 80

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Mac address - what is line command to find and active new card

How do you find mac address and active new card. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wmetz
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find a file in UNIX without find command?

given a start directory,a filename,how to find it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluo
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Little bit weired : Find files in UNIX w/o using find or where command

Yes , I have to find a file in unix without using any find or where commands.Any pointers for the same would be very helpful as i am beginner in shell scritping and need a solution for the same. Thanks in advance. Regards Jatin Jain (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatin.jain
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find IP Address of a Printer Q in Hp-Unix

Could anyone help me to identify the IP address of a printer queue with its printer queue name information . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lenin1985
1 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

Help Required: Command to find IP address and command executed of a user

Hi, I am trying to write a script which would figure out who has run which command and their IP. As i dont have any clue as to which commands would do this job, i request some gurus to help me on this. Thanks Vishwas (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: loggedout
2 Replies

6. Programming

How do I find the MAC address in C on different UNIX platforms?

I need to find the MAC address of the ethernet cards on the host machine from the C language. I have found a way to do this on Linux using socket(), ioctl() and the ifreq structure. But this does not seem to work on AIX, HP/UX and probably the others I need (Solaris, SCO, Alpha etc). Is there a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pug
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding e-mail address using "find" command

any useful command to find and e-mail address hardcoded into a cfg file on an specific server? I already tried with:: find . -type f | xargs grep -l "nobody@foundstone.com" Thanks!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JLo5621
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture hostnames or ip address in the log files generated?

Team, I have prepared a script which I run from my remote machine(Jump-box)server Below is the script FILEDATE=`date +%F` LOGFILE=/home/abc/scripts/xyz.$FILEDATE.log find /home/abc/scripts/xyz.*.log -type f -mtime -3 -delete touch $LOGFILE exec 1>$LOGFILE 2>&1 #healthcheck batch runs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: whizkidash
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ip address for multiple hostnames

i have a file which has 100 servers,i want a script which can output me ip address and hostname for that server. Thanks in advance!! input file abc.com output file should be abc.com 192.168.1..1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Moon1234
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find heartbeat ip address with cllsif command

hi~~ my Os is 6.1 i want to find heartbeat ip address from below result. i think, is it en7 onto both nodes? /usr/es/sbin/cluster/utilities/cllsif Adapter Type Network Net Type Attribute Node IP Address Hardware Address Interface Name Global Name ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomato00
2 Replies
rtquery(1M)                                               System Administration Commands                                               rtquery(1M)

NAME
rtquery - query routing daemons for their routing tables SYNOPSIS
rtquery [-np1] [-w timeout] [-r addr] [-a secret] host... rtquery [-t operation] host... DESCRIPTION
The rtquery command is used to query a RIP network routing daemon, in.routed(1M) or GateD, for its routing table by sending a request or poll command. The routing information in any routing response packets returned is displayed numerically and symbolically. By default, rtquery uses the request command. When the -p option is specified, rtquery uses the poll command, an undocumented extension to the RIP protocol supported by GateD. When querying GateD, the poll command is preferred over the request command because the response is not subject to Split Horizon and/or Poisoned Reverse, and because some versions of GateD do not answer the request command. in.routed does not answer the poll command, but recognizes requests coming from rtquery and so answers completely. The rtquery command is also used to turn tracing on or off in in.routed. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a passwd=XXX Causes the query to be sent with the indicated cleartext or MD5 password. -a md5_passwd=XXX|KeyID -n Displays only the numeric network and host addresses instead of both numeric and symbolic names. -p Uses the poll command to request full routing information from GateD. This is an undocumented extension RIP proto- col supported only by GateD. -r addr Asks about the route to destination addr. -t operation Changes tracing, where operation is one of the actions listed below. Requests from processes not running with UID 0 or on distant networks are generally ignored by the daemon except for a message in the system log. GateD is likely to ignore these debugging requests. on=tracefile Turns tracing on, directing tracing into the specified file. That file must have been specified when the daemon was started or have the name, /var/log/in.routed.trace. more Increases the debugging level. off Turns off tracing. dump Dumps the daemon's routing table to the current trace file. -w timeout Changes the delay for an answer from each host. By default, each host is given 15 seconds to respond. -1 Queries using RIP version 1 instead of RIP version 2. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWroute | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
in.routed(1M), route(1M), gateways(4), attributes(5), icmp(7P), inet(7P), udp(7P) Routing Information Protocol, RIPv1, RFC 1058 Routing Information Protocol, RIPv2, RFC 2453, STD 0056 SunOS 5.10 24 Apr 2002 rtquery(1M)