Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Is there a unix command to find ALL hostnames for an ip address? Post 302397704 by rukasu on Tuesday 23rd of February 2010 01:36:11 AM
Old 02-23-2010
Is there a unix command to find ALL hostnames for an ip address?

I am trying to determine if there are several url/host names for an IP address. Is there a UNIX command to find ALL host names for an IP address?

Thank you in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Mac address - what is line command to find and active new card

How do you find mac address and active new card. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wmetz
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find a file in UNIX without find command?

given a start directory,a filename,how to find it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluo
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Little bit weired : Find files in UNIX w/o using find or where command

Yes , I have to find a file in unix without using any find or where commands.Any pointers for the same would be very helpful as i am beginner in shell scritping and need a solution for the same. Thanks in advance. Regards Jatin Jain (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatin.jain
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find IP Address of a Printer Q in Hp-Unix

Could anyone help me to identify the IP address of a printer queue with its printer queue name information . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lenin1985
1 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

Help Required: Command to find IP address and command executed of a user

Hi, I am trying to write a script which would figure out who has run which command and their IP. As i dont have any clue as to which commands would do this job, i request some gurus to help me on this. Thanks Vishwas (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: loggedout
2 Replies

6. Programming

How do I find the MAC address in C on different UNIX platforms?

I need to find the MAC address of the ethernet cards on the host machine from the C language. I have found a way to do this on Linux using socket(), ioctl() and the ifreq structure. But this does not seem to work on AIX, HP/UX and probably the others I need (Solaris, SCO, Alpha etc). Is there a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pug
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding e-mail address using "find" command

any useful command to find and e-mail address hardcoded into a cfg file on an specific server? I already tried with:: find . -type f | xargs grep -l "nobody@foundstone.com" Thanks!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JLo5621
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture hostnames or ip address in the log files generated?

Team, I have prepared a script which I run from my remote machine(Jump-box)server Below is the script FILEDATE=`date +%F` LOGFILE=/home/abc/scripts/xyz.$FILEDATE.log find /home/abc/scripts/xyz.*.log -type f -mtime -3 -delete touch $LOGFILE exec 1>$LOGFILE 2>&1 #healthcheck batch runs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: whizkidash
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ip address for multiple hostnames

i have a file which has 100 servers,i want a script which can output me ip address and hostname for that server. Thanks in advance!! input file abc.com output file should be abc.com 192.168.1..1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Moon1234
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find heartbeat ip address with cllsif command

hi~~ my Os is 6.1 i want to find heartbeat ip address from below result. i think, is it en7 onto both nodes? /usr/es/sbin/cluster/utilities/cllsif Adapter Type Network Net Type Attribute Node IP Address Hardware Address Interface Name Global Name ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomato00
2 Replies
RESOLV.CONF(5)							File Formats Manual						    RESOLV.CONF(5)

NAME
resolv.conf - Domain Name System resolver configuration SYNOPSIS
/etc/resolv.conf DESCRIPTION
The /etc/resolv.conf is used to configure how the host will use the Domain Name System to resolve hostnames to IP addresses. It may con- tain these two lines: nameserver IP-address domain domain-name The nameserver entry tells the IP address of the host to use for DNS queries. If it is set to 127.0.0.1 (which is the default) then the local name daemon is used that may use the /etc/hosts database to translate host names. You normally only need a nameserver entry if the name server is at the other side of a router. The default nonamed name server can't look beyond the local network. The domain entry tells the default domain to use for unqualified hostnames. This entry is usually not given in which case the domain of the local host is used. The long version of this story can be found in resolver(5). FILES
/etc/resolv.conf DNS resolver configuration file. SEE ALSO
resolver(5), hosts(5), nonamed(8), boot(8). AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) RESOLV.CONF(5)