Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How do you wait for command substitution processes to complete? Post 302397668 by posix on Tuesday 23rd of February 2010 12:10:21 AM
Old 02-23-2010
I hope We can make use of wait and sleep command here .

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: wait for process to complete

I'm using PERL on windows NT to try to run an extract of data. I have multiple zip files in multiple locations. I am extracting "*.t" from zip files and subsequently adding that file to one zip file so when the script is complete I should have one zip file with a whole bunch of ".t" files in it. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wait for Background Process to complete

I am attempting within a for-loop, to have my shell script (Solaris v8 ksh) wait until a copy file command to complete before continueing. The specific code is: for files in $(<inputfile.lst) do mv directory/$files directory/$files ksh -m -i bg %% wait $! done I am shaky on the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gozer13
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wait Command

Does anyone have an example of a korn shell scripts kicking of multiple background processes and then using the wait command to get the return code from those processes? I want to write a program that kicks off multiple Oracle procedures and then wait for the return code before I procede.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
1 Replies

4. Programming

Howto spawn multiple child processes and wait?

As far as I can tell, the bash wait command waits for a logical "AND" of all the child processes. Assuming I am coding in C: (1) What is the function I would use to create multiple bash child process running perl? (2) What is the function I would use to reinvent the bash wait command so I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait command - cat it wait for not-chile process?

Did not use 'wait' yet. How I understand by now the wait works only for child processes, started background. Is there any other way to watch completion of any, not related process (at least, a process, owned by the same user?) I need to start a background process, witch will be waiting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

hdparm + HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate ioctl

Hi All, Am finding performance of my SD card using hdparm. hdparm -tT /dev/BlockDev0 /dev/BlockDev0: Timing cached reads: 1118 MB in 2.00 seconds = 558.61 MB/sec HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device Timing buffered disk reads: 14... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amio
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wait command help

Hi, Is there any way to know the child process status as and when it finished. If i write like below nohup sh a1.sh & ### has sleep 20 ;echo a1.sh nohup sh a2.sh & ### has sleep 10 ;echo a2.sh nohup sh a3.sh & ### has sleep 5 ;echo a3.sh wait This will wait till a1.sh ,a2.sh a3.sh... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrickk
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wait for one processes to complete in a shell script

Let's say I start process A.sh, then start process B.sh. I call both of them in my C.sh How can I make sure that B starts its execution only after A.sh finishes. I have to do this in loop.Execution time of A.sh may vary everytime. It is a parameterized script. (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
17 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

In Shell Script Does Second Command Wait For First Command To Complete

Hi All, I have a question related to Shell scripting. In my shell script, I have following two commands in sequence: sed 's/^/grep "^120" /g' $ORIGCHARGEDAMTLIST|sed "s;$;| cut -f$FIELD_NO1 -d '|' | awk '{ sum+=\$1} END {printf (\"%0.2f\\\n\", sum/100)}' >$TEMPFILE mv $TEMPFILE $ORIGFILE... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script parallel tasks and command to wait untill complete?

Hello, im having bash script with while *** command1 && command2 && command3 && done i want to ask how i can prevent overloading server, by waiting untill all commands complete? any low resources intensive command like "wait" - i dont know if exist? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: postcd
2 Replies
ntp-wait(1)							   User Commands						       ntp-wait(1)

NAME
ntp-wait - Wait for ntpd to stabilize the system clock SYNOPSIS
ntp-wait [-flags] [-flag [value]] [--option-name[[=| ]value]] All arguments must be options. DESCRIPTION
ntp-wait will send at most num-tries queries to ntpd(8), sleeping for secs-between-tries after each status return that says ntpd(8) has not yet produced a synchronized and stable system clock. ntp-wait will do this quietly, unless the -v flag is provided. This can be useful at boot time, to delay the boot sequence until after ntpd -g has set the time. OPTIONS
-n number, --tries=number Number of times to check ntpd. This option takes an integer number as its argument. The default number for this option is: 100 The maximum number of times we will check ntpd to see if it has been able to synchronize and stabilize the system clock. -s secs-between-tries, --sleep=secs-between-tries How long to sleep between tries. This option takes an integer number as its argument. The default secs-between-tries for this option is: 6 We will sleep for secs-between-tries after each query of ntpd that returns "the time is not yet stable". -v, --verbose Be verbose. By default, ntp-wait is silent. With this option, ntp-wait will provide status information. -?, --help Display usage information and exit. -!, --more-help Pass the extended usage information through a pager. -v [{v|c|n --version [{v|c|n}]}] Output version of program and exit. The default mode is `v', a simple version. The `c' mode will print copyright information and `n' will print the full copyright notice. EXIT STATUS
One of the following exit values will be returned: 0 (EXIT_SUCCESS) Successful program execution. 1 (EXIT_FAILURE) The operation failed or the command syntax was not valid. 70 (EX_SOFTWARE) libopts had an internal operational error. Please report it to autogen-users@lists.sourceforge.net. Thank you. AUTHORS
Harlan Stenn NOTES
This document corresponds to version 4.2.8p13 of NTP. This manual page was AutoGen-erated from the ntp-wait option definitions. ntp (4.2.8p13) 20 Feb 2019 ntp-wait(1)