Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming write() issue during a low level hdd access Post 302397655 by sponnusa on Monday 22nd of February 2010 11:46:54 PM
Old 02-23-2010
I feel that the implementation is manufacturer and model specific in most of the cases I've seen so far. Also, the revision of ATA specs the drive implements. Older the drive, the longer it takes on certain specific operations (though not necessarily).

I have been composing a knowledge base for internal use, (for the past 6 years) comprising various drives ranging from sizes of few MBs to the TB's in IDE / SATA, SCSI, SAS and FC and believe me, there are some obscure models which say they implement a particular specification (be it ATA or some other spec) Version and revision, but does not work when a version specific command is fired towards them! Smilie

It's been a long journey working with the magnetic media and erasure applications and I have seen almost all of the market leaders hands on(including hardware)!! Smilie

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Low level format?

I want to do a low level format like in windows (C:\format c:) but I don't know how it works in unix or linux.. Can somebody help me ? thnx :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: day
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

Access to a second HDD

Hello How to access to a second hard disk on a HP-UX system? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ouniss
3 Replies

3. IP Networking

Best reference for understanding low level info on nic cards drivers and functionality

Hi, What is the best reference that gives in detail on nic cards configuration , assigning multiple ip addresses to a single interface, netlink library etc and all basic stuff at this level..? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
2 Replies

4. AIX

High Runqueue (R) LOW CPU LOW I/O Low Network Low memory usage

Hello All I have a system running AIX 61 shared uncapped partition (with 11 physical processors, 24 Virtual 72GB of Memory) . The output from NMON, vmstat show a high run queue (60+) for continous periods of time intervals, but NO paging, relatively low I/o (6000) , CPU % is 40, Low network.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: IL-Malti
9 Replies

5. Programming

System calls and C language low-level qualities???

Hi friends, I hope everyone is fine and doing well. I queried in my previous thread about the low-level qualities of C/C++ languages.I really thank you people for explaining, it was really helpful. One more ambiquity that I have in my mind is regarding the unix system calls like open, creat,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gabam
1 Replies

6. Programming

Why is C/C++ considered low-level languages???

Hi friends, I hope everyone is doing well and fine. I have always been hearing that C/C++ are relatively low-level as compared to Java/C# etc. Could you please tell me some low-level qualities of C/C++? And I think disk deframenters are written in C/C++, please correct me if I am wrong. And please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
5 Replies

7. Programming

Low level X11 programming

How to use X11 without Xlib not XCB? How draw window directly on low level? I must use anyway window manager like Motif? I have ridden that X11 has server-client architecture, client send via TCP/IP to port 6000 request for primitives and get replies. Where is detailed description of it? In X11... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AndrzejB
0 Replies
SIIS(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   SIIS(4)

NAME
siis -- SiliconImage Serial ATA Host Controller driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device pci device scbus device siis Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): siis_load="YES" The following tunables are settable from the loader(8): hint.siis.X.msi controls Message Signaled Interrupts (MSI) usage by the specified controller. hint.siisch.X.pm_level controls SATA interface Power Management for the specified channel, allowing some power to be saved at the cost of additional command latency. Possible values: 0 interface Power Management is disabled (default); 1 device is allowed to initiate PM state change, host is passive. Note that interface Power Management is not compatible with device presence detection. A manual bus reset is needed on device hot-plug. hint.siisch.X.sata_rev setting to nonzero value limits maximum SATA revision (speed). Values 1, 2 and 3 are respectively 1.5, 3 and 6Gbps. DESCRIPTION
This driver provides the CAM(4) subsystem with native access to the SATA ports of controller. Each SATA port is represented to CAM as a sep- arate bus with 16 targets. Most of the bus-management details are handled by the SATA-specific transport of CAM. Connected ATA disks are handled by the ATA protocol disk peripheral driver ada(4). ATAPI devices are handled by the SCSI protocol peripheral drivers cd(4), da(4), sa(4), etc. Driver features include support for Serial ATA and ATAPI devices, Port Multipliers (including FIS-based switching), hardware command queues (31 command per port), Native Command Queuing, SATA interface Power Management, device hot-plug and Message Signaled Interrupts. Same hardware is also supported by the atasiliconimage driver from ata(4) subsystem. If both drivers are loaded at the same time, this one will be given precedence as the more functional of the two. HARDWARE
The siis driver supports the following controllers: o SiI3124 o SiI3132 o SiI3531 SEE ALSO
ada(4), ata(4), cam(4), cd(4), da(4), sa(4) HISTORY
The siis driver first appeared in FreeBSD 8.0. AUTHORS
Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
July 18, 2009 BSD