Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk search pattern with special characters passed from CL Post 302397557 by alister on Monday 22nd of February 2010 01:50:38 PM
Old 02-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue
alister can you elaborate on this part of the command what exactly does it do?
index($0,x)
It checks to see if the string you're searching for (stored in the variable x) is present in the current line (stored in $0). If so, index() returns a non-zero value which in AWK is equivalent to a boolean true value. If the string is not found, index() returns zero. If true, it prints out that line (the default action which is implied is "{print $0}".

My post with the awk solutions included two commands; the second negates the return value with a "!", so that it excludes lines that match (what you are doing with sed's d command).

All that said, you're probably best off using the fgrep commands at the end of my previous post.

Cheers,
Alister
This User Gave Thanks to alister For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search special characters in a file

Hello I am new to shell scripting and can anyone tell me how to check if there are any special characters in a file. Can i use grep ? thanks susie (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cramya80
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl code to search for filenames that contain special characters

Hello, I have a requirement to search a directory, which contains any number of other directories for file names that contain special characters. directory structure DIR__ |__>DIR1 |__>DIR2__ |__>DIR2.1 |__>DIR2.2 |__>DIR3 .. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

NAWK - seach pattern for special characters - } dbl qt - sng qt

i'm puzzled.... trying to look for the pattern }"'. but the below code returns to me the message below (pattern is curley queue + dbl qt + sng qt + period) nawk -v pat="\}\"\'\."' { if (match($0, pat)) { before = substr($0,1,RSTART-1); ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: danmauer
11 Replies

4. AIX

Removing a filename which has special characters passed from a pipe with xargs

Hi, On AIX 5200-07-00 I have a find command as following to delete files from a certain location that are more than 7 days old. I am being told that I cannot use -exec option to delete files from these directories. Having said that I am more curious to know how this can be done. an sample... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed delete pattern with special characters

Hi all, I have the following lines <b>A gtwrhwrthwr text hghthwrhtwrtw </b><font color='#06C'>; text text (text) <b>B gtwrhwrthwr text hghthwrhtwrtw </b><font color='#06C'>; text text (text) <b>J gtwrhwrthwr text hghthwrhtwrtw </b><font color='#06C'>; text text (text) and I would like to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stinkefisch
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED equivalent for grep -w -f with pattern having special characters

I'm looking for SED equivalent for grep -w -f. All I want is to search a list of patterns from a file. Also If the pattern doesn't match I do not want "null returned", rather I would prefer some text as place holder say "BLANK LINE" as I intend to process the output file based on line number. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: novice_man
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or awk : pattern selection based on special characters

Hello All, I am here again scratching my head on pattern selection with special characters. I have a large file having around 200 entries and i have to select a single line based on a pattern. I am able to do that: Code: cat mytest.txt | awk -F: '/myregex/ { print $2}' ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search avoiding special characters

Hi all, I have a list which I want to search in another file. I can do that using grep -f but the search is failing due to special characters, how do I solve this? One row in that list is amino-acid permease inda1 gb|EDU41782.1| amino-acid permease inda1 Input file to be searched... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gina.lizar
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search special characters in a file and replace with meaningful text messages like Hello

Search special characters in a file and replace with meaningful text messages like Hello (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raka_rjit
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace Pattern with another that has Special Characters

Hello Team, Any help would be much appreciated for the below scenario: I have a sed command below where I am trying to replace the contents of 'old_pkey' variable with 'new_pkey' variable in a Soap request file (delete_request.txt). This works fine for regular string values, but this new_pkey... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
8 Replies
lindex(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							 lindex(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
lindex - Retrieve an element from a list SYNOPSIS
lindex list ?index...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The lindex command accepts a parameter, list, which it treats as a Tcl list. It also accepts zero or more indices into the list. The indices may be presented either consecutively on the command line, or grouped in a Tcl list and presented as a single argument. If no indices are presented, the command takes the form: lindex list or lindex list {} In this case, the return value of lindex is simply the value of the list parameter. When presented with a single index, the lindex command treats list as a Tcl list and returns the index'th element from it (0 refers to the first element of the list). In extracting the element, lindex observes the same rules concerning braces and quotes and backslashes as the Tcl command interpreter; however, variable substitution and command substitution do not occur. If index is negative or greater than or equal to the number of elements in value, then an empty string is returned. The interpretation of each simple index value is the same as | for the command string index, supporting simple index arithmetic and indices relative to the end of the list. If additional index arguments are supplied, then each argument is used in turn to select an element from the previous indexing operation, allowing the script to select elements from sublists. The command, lindex $a 1 2 3 or lindex $a {1 2 3} is synonymous with lindex [lindex [lindex $a 1] 2] 3 EXAMPLES
lindex {a b c} -> a b c lindex {a b c} {} -> a b c lindex {a b c} 0 -> a lindex {a b c} 2 -> c lindex {a b c} end -> c lindex {a b c} end-1 -> b lindex {{a b c} {d e f} {g h i}} 2 1 -> h lindex {{a b c} {d e f} {g h i}} {2 1} -> h lindex {{{a b} {c d}} {{e f} {g h}}} 1 1 0 -> g lindex {{{a b} {c d}} {{e f} {g h}}} {1 1 0} -> g SEE ALSO
list(n), lappend(n), linsert(n), llength(n), lsearch(n), lset(n), lsort(n), lrange(n), lreplace(n), string(n) | KEYWORDS
element, index, list Tcl 8.4 lindex(n)