Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing a character from a variable and assigning it to another variable? Post 302397556 by danmero on Monday 22nd of February 2010 01:50:42 PM
Old 02-22-2010
Code:
# FirstIN=001,002,003,004
# echo $FirstIN | tr ',' ' '
001 002 003 004
# FirstINa=`echo $FirstIN | tr ',' ' '`
# echo $FirstINa
001 002 003 004

---------- Post updated at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:48 PM ----------

Or using shell builtin parameter expansion
Code:
# FirstINb=${FirstIN//,/ }
# echo $FirstINb
001 002 003 004

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning a value to variable

Another newbie to Unix scripting Q.. How do you assign a value resulting from a command, such as awk, to a variable. I am currently trying:- $awk '{print $1}' file1 > variable1 with no change to $variable1. The line: $awk '{print $1}' file1 does print the first line of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirtrancealot
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning Value of variable

Hi In my shell script, I'm trying to find the line count of a file and assign it to a variable. LINE_COUNT=$(wc -l $FILE_NAME) But when i display LINE_COUNT, i'm getting the linecount concatenated with the file name. I want only the number. How can i get the line count alone ? Someone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: janemary.a
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing character ' from a variable

Hello there, I have a variable in the form of '/example/file.txt' . I want to remove the ' characters from the beginning and the end so that the my new variable becomes /example/file.txt . How can I do it in a script? I know this is a fairly easy question, but i wasn't able to implement it. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sertansenturk
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

assigning a variable

hi all, in ksh, how do i assign the output of a find command to a variable, e.g am trying something like this : totalNoFiles=$(print find ./ -name "SystemOut*.log"); but when i echo $totalNoFiles it displays find ./ -name "SystemOut*.log" instead of the total number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

couting occurences of a character inside a string and assigning it to a variable

echo "hello123" | tr -dc '' | wc -c using this command i can count the no of times a number from 0-9 occurs in the string "hello123" but how do i save this result inside a variable? if i do x= echo "hello123" | tr -dc '' | wc -c that does not work...plz suggest..thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in assigning value to variable have value fo other variable

my script is some thing like this i11="{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,}" echo "enter value" read value ..............suppose i11 x="$value" echo "$($value)" .............the echo should be {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,} but its showing "i11" only. plz help me out to get desired... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar_1986
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning a value to a variable

Hi I have a script that accepts an input date in YYYY-MM-DD format. After that, I used sed to delete the hyphen (-) which gives me an output YYYY MM DD. My question is, how can I assign those three numbers to a three different variable. Example: 2013-11-23 will become 2013 11 23... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: erin00
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning value to a variable

Unable to get the value to a variable. set -x cd $HOME echo "Enter the server name" read a echo $a i=4 j=1 k = ps -ef | awk '/server1/{ print $4 }' | tail -$i | head -$j` echo $k When I do the same in command line it works, however the same does not work when I provide that in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkidhadha
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning a variable

I have a date column as 06302015 but I need to have variable which extracts 063015. Am trying something like below but it is not assigning Please let me know if am missing something. Thanks in advance. ################################ #!/usr/bin/ksh DT=06302015 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: weknowd
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Removing extra character when setting variable

I have a data file d0 that looks like this: $cat d0 server1 running -n-cv- 8G 3.1% 1435d 15h server2 running -n---- 8G 39% 660d 22h server3 running -n--v- 8G 2.5% 1173d 6h server4 running -n---- 8G 1.1% 1048d 20h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake0391S
2 Replies
ALE(1)																	    ALE(1)

NAME
ale - a synthetic capture engine and renderer SYNOPSIS
ale [OPTIONS] original-frame [supplemental-frames ...] output-file ale [HELP OPTIONS] ale --version DESCRIPTION
ALE is a free software synthetic capture engine and renderer accepting, as input, a sequence of image frames, and producing, as output, rendered images, registration data, and 3D models (currently experimental). EXAMPLES
ale --hu Print the help page on program usage. ale 001.ppm 002.ppm 003.ppm out.ppm Render output file out.ppm from inputs 001.ppm, 002.ppm, and 003.ppm. ale --scale 2 001.ppm 002.ppm 003.ppm out.png Render output file out.png at 2x scale. ale --perturb-upper=0 --trans-load=a.t --projective frame*.png out.png Render output file out.png from inputs frame*.png, using projective transformations as described in the file a.t. ale --3dv 0 out.png --projective frame*.png null: Render output file out.png from inputs frame*.png, using a 3D scene model to determine transformations. ale --visp last:sinc*lanc:6 sf:0 out/ .jpg in/*.jpg null: Render a video stream from files in/*.jpg to the directory out/, stabilizing to the first frame, with a lanczos-windowed sinc filter. USAGE
ale is a wrapper script that calls the executable ale-bin after extracting exposure EXIF information from image files (when the exiftool utility is available) and converting from raw formats (when the dcraw utility is available). When ale-bin has been linked with ImageMagick, input and output files may be of any kind supported by ImageMagick. Otherwise, only PPM files can be read and written by ale-bin. OPTIONS
OPTIONS are summarized via built-in help pages (see HELP OPTIONS below). More detailed manuals describing options and internal algorithms are available for certain versions of ALE. See SEE ALSO below for more details on other manuals. HELP OPTIONS
A listing of available help options can be obtained by invoking ale --hu. ENVIRONMENT
The wrapper script ale recognizes the following environment variables: ALE_BIN ALE executable to use. DCRAW dcraw raw extraction tool to use. EXIF_UTILITY EXIF extraction utility to use. ALE_COUNT_THREADS Displays statistics on thread counts when set to a non-zero value. PAGER Text pager to use (e.g., for displaying help pages). SEE ALSO
More detailed manuals for certain versions of ALE are distributed with source packages, and may also be available from: http://auricle.dyndns.org/ALE/manuals/ 03/31/2009 ALE(1)