Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux swapon: Function not implemented Post 302397434 by chris5126 on Monday 22nd of February 2010 06:49:43 AM
Old 02-22-2010
swapon: Function not implemented

Hi,

Trying to add a swap file to my server as below:

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile1 bs=1M count=2048
2048+0 records in
2048+0 records out
2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 27.4514 seconds, 78.2 MB/s
[root@clearab2 /]# mkswap -c /swapfile1
Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 2147479 kB
[root@clearab2 /]# swapon /swapfile1
swapon: /swapfile1: Function not implemented
[root@clearab2 /]# swapon -a
swapon: /swapfile1: Function not implemented

Does anyone know why this is happening i have googled but cant find anything?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Free software like proftpd or wu-ftpd implemented under SSH

Anybody can to suggest to me a ftp software like proftpd or wu-ftpd (ftp with chroot for users) implemented with tunneling under SSH. Thanks in advance. Hugo. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hugo_perez
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What do you want to see implemented in Unix ?

Hello all, I just want to ask everyone what does he/she want to see implemented in Unix ? Applications, services, drivers, modules ? Just mention it here :) Thank you very much in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: core-ix
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing global variable to a function which is called by another function

Hi , I have three funcions f1, f2 and f3 . f1 calls f2 and f2 calls f3 . I have a global variable "period" which i want to pass to f3 . Can i pass the variable directly in the definition of f3 ? Pls help . sars (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sars
4 Replies

4. Programming

Algorithm needs to be implemented in JAVA

Hi, I need to implement this algorithm in JAVA. I tried to write half of the code But I stopped in the other half. The algorithm: Marking procedure at router R: let R' = Bitlntereave(R, Hash(R)) let k be the number of non-overlapping fragments in R' for each packet w let x be a random... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ENG_MOHD
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

lvm swapon failed Device or resource busy

Is there a trick to mounting swap in n a lvm? I can't get it to work. # swapon -va swapon on /dev/mapper/VG-lv_swap swapon: /dev/mapper/VG-lv_swap: found swap signature: version 1, page-size 4, same byte order swapon: /dev/mapper/VG-lv_swap: pagesize=4096, swapsize=4294967296,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How a windowing system is implemented in C ?

Hi All, I was wondering how using C the programmers have implemented a GUI (x window & ms windows). Am curious to learn about the overall architecture. I learned a bit about graphics primitives, memory mapped io, etc I want to learn more whether the above is the foundation upon which modern... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Will files, creaetd in one function of the same script will be recognized in another function?

Dear All. I have a script, which process files one by one. In the script I have two functions. one sftp files to different server the other from existing file create file with different name. My question is: Will sftp function recognize files names , which are created in another... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function - Make your function return an exit status

Hi All, Good Day, seeking for your assistance on how to not perform my 2nd, 3rd,4th etc.. function if my 1st function is in else condition. #Body function1() { if then echo "exist" else echo "not exist" } #if not exist in function1 my all other function will not proceed.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meister29
4 Replies
SWAPON(8)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 SWAPON(8)

NAME
swapon, swapoff - enable/disable devices and files for paging and swapping SYNOPSIS
/sbin/swapon [-h -V] /sbin/swapon -a [-v] [-e] /sbin/swapon [-v] [-p priority] specialfile ... /sbin/swapon [-s] /sbin/swapoff [-h -V] /sbin/swapoff -a /sbin/swapoff specialfile ... DESCRIPTION
Swapon is used to specify devices on which paging and swapping are to take place. Calls to swapon normally occur in the system multi-user initialization file /etc/rc making all swap devices available, so that the paging and swapping activity is interleaved across several devices and files. Normally, the first form is used: -h Provide help -V Display version -s Display swap usage summary by device. Equivalent to "cat /proc/swaps". Not available before Linux 2.1.25. -a All devices marked as ``swap'' swap devices in /etc/fstab are made available. Devices that are already running as swap are silently skipped. -e When -a is used with swapon, -e makes swapon silently skip devices that do not exist. -p priority Specify priority for swapon. This option is only available if swapon was compiled under and is used under a 1.3.2 or later kernel. priority is a value between 0 and 32767. See swapon(2) for a full description of swap priorities. Add pri=value to the option field of /etc/fstab for use with swapon -a. Swapoff disables swapping on the specified devices and files. When the -a flag is given, swapping is disabled on all known swap devices and files (as found in /proc/swaps or /etc/fstab). NOTE
You should not use swapon on a file with holes. Swap over NFS may not work. SEE ALSO
swapon(2), swapoff(2), fstab(5), init(8), mkswap(8), rc(8), mount(8) FILES
/dev/hd?? standard paging devices /dev/sd?? standard (SCSI) paging devices /etc/fstab ascii filesystem description table HISTORY
The swapon command appeared in 4.0BSD. Linux 1.x 25 September 1995 SWAPON(8)