Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Please recommend a good Unix or Linux book Post 302397411 by harlemi on Monday 22nd of February 2010 04:38:13 AM
Old 02-22-2010
Please recommend a good Unix or Linux book

VBE, Could you Suggest a Certification to go for??? My Manager wants me to try to get a Unix Cert or Linux Cert this year...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

good book for unix shell programming

hi, i am ajay. I need a good book for shell programming. a book which covers from fundamental to advance shell programming. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaygodbole
3 Replies

2. IP Networking

Please recommend me a Book

I have a SCO OpenServer 5 and I'll like to know about a Very good Book for Unix Networking that can help me with this server or any good book about Unix Networking. Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SuPeRbYtE
2 Replies

3. Linux

Looking for a good book to learn LINUX

I have just transferred from an mainframe DB2 area to an area that uses LINUX. Any suggestions for a good book to buy for learning LINUX? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bigdawg
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Good Book For Unix And Shell Scripting

Hello people.I'm new to the forum and would like to seek your opinion in purchaing a copy of a good Unix and Shell scripting book. I have good knowledge of basic unix concepts and now i would like to delve into more details. Your suugestion much appreciated. Thx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aeontoam82
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

recommend book for unix command/ shell scripting

Hi, i wish to learn unix commands and shell scripting. platform is solaris. but i am focused more on handy unix commands than system administration. which books do you recommend? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nurulamin862
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Good book on Unix

I'm learning about Unix on my mac through the terminal application. I like it quite a bit. I'm finishing the chapter on Unix from my Mac OS X the missing manual, and it's whetted my appetite. Can anyone recommend a good book on beginning Unix (starting at beginner to intermediate). I'd like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Book for Learning unix shell scripting reall good

Hi guys I want o learn and understand shell scripting real good, Ive got already some background Due to the fact that there is ton of books with these theme, can you recommend me some good book with with examples explanations, pls no theoretical books :D Thxs (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kl1ngac1k
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Good book on Unix

Please suggest me few good books on Unix. I have currently purchased Unix Power Tools. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashdeep
2 Replies

9. Programming

Which C++ book do you recommend?

Hello, May be my post may look naive to many...but it isn't if you were to believe me.After, trying to learn programming in C for at least 5 years , I concluded that K & R is the best book to learn C, alas I took a lot of time to realize this. So, I'm going to start learning how to program... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackwhite
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a good book to learn UNIX Shell Scripting

I'm going to be starting a job in a month or so that I need to brush up on my Unix shell scripting skills. About 15 years ago, I took a college class for Unix shell scripting. I would like to find a good college book again, rather than just going to Amazon and just buying anything. This is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dorlow
2 Replies
slapconfig(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					     slapconfig(8)

NAME
slapconfig -- tool to configure slapd and related daemons SYNOPSIS
slapconfig command [command-options] [-q] DESCRIPTION
slapconfig is a utility for configuring slapd. It must be run by root. USAGE
-q suppress prompts. Queries -defaultsuffix Returns the default suffix which is based on the machine's DNS name, or hostname if DNS is not available. -getclientconfig Returns whether this machine is an LDAP client, not a client, or advanced. -getldapconfig Returns the LDAP server settings. -getmacosxodpolicy Returns a property list containing the directory binding settings. -getmasterconfig Returns the list of replicas and replication interval. -getpasswordserveraddress Returns the IP address of the default password server. -getreplicaconfig Returns the master address and last update date. -getstyle Returns whether configuration is master, replica, client, or standalone. -help Print usage information. -ver Displays version information. Setup -addreplica [--serverID num] [--guid D1C9C376-D940-404D-9941-7AD24E6A37DA] <replica-address> Adds a replication link with the specified server. The serverID and GUID of the remote machine you'd like to replicate with. The serverID and GUID can be viewed in the target machine's computer record. Replication links are unidirectional, the corresponding command should be run on the target server as well to get full replication working. Caution should be exercised with this command, it is best to avoid repli- cation loops. -changeip <old-ip> <new-ip> [<old-host> <new-host>] Updates configuration records and files to contain the new host information. It does not change the IP address in Network preferences. -createldapmasterandadmin [--allow_local_realm] [--certAuthName <Cert Auth Name>] [--certAdminEmail <Cert Admin Email>] [--certOrgName <Cert Org Name>] <new-admin> <new-fullname> <new-uid> [<search base suffix> [<realm>]] Creates a new master LDAP server. Copies the root account to the new master domain. Creates a new directory node administrator. -createreplica [--certAdminEmail <Cert Admin Email>] <master IP or name> <admin user> Create a new replica from an existing LDAP master. -createrootcertauthority <Certificate Authority Name> <Certificate Authority Admin Email> <Certificate Authority Organization Name> Create a CA on the OD master. -destroyldapserver [diradmin] Turns off the LDAP server and deletes its database. The optional argument of the diradmin account name will then prompt for the diradmin password and will inform all replication peers of the server's destruction. -promotereplica <admin-user> <archive-path> Converts an existing replica into a master using the current database. Path to an archive from the master can given in order to add the root CA's keys to the promoted master. -removereplica [--guid D1C9C376-D940-404D-9941-7AD24E6A37DA] -<replica-address> Removes a replication link with the specified server. The GUID of the remote server being removed should be passed in with the --guid option. Replication links are unidirectional, so the corresponding command should be run on the target server to remove the other half of an existing replication link. -setclient Configures the machine to bind using DHCP if it is not already a client. -setldapconfig [-maxresults <maximum search results>] [-searchtimeout timeout] [-ssl on|off] [-sslidentity <identity name>] [-sslserialnumber <certificate serial number>] [-sslsha1fingerprint <certificate sha1 fingerprint as a hex encoded colon separated string>] Applies the specified settings and restarts slapd. Settings not specified are unchanged. -setstandalone Configures the machine to only use the local directory. -setmacosxodpolicy [-binding [disabled|enabled|required]] [-cleartext [blocked|allowed]] [-encrypt [yes|no]] [-sign [yes|no]] [-clientcaching [yes|no]] [-man-in-middle [blocked|allowed]] Sets directory binding options. -startldapserver Configures launchd to run slapd. -stopldapserver Configures launchd not to run slapd. -updateaddresses Merges new interfaces into the list of LDAP replicas. Password Server -startpasswordserver Sets up a launchd plist file and starts the password server. -stoppasswordserver Sets the launchd plist file to be disabled and stops the password server. Runtime -enableslapdlog Turns on the LDAP server logging to /var/log/slapd.log. -setfullsyncmode [yes | no] The LDAP server defaults to running in a "full sync mode" to ensure database transactions are fully flushed to disk. This improves data integrity in the event of a power loss, but can result in slower performance when importing large datasets. Setting this option to no disables this functionality temporarily in order to speed up large imports. After the import has been completed, this option should be set back to yes for normal operation. Backup and Restore -backupdb <archive-path> Creates an archive containing the LDAP, Password Server and Kerberos databases. It also contains Certificate Authority related data. -restoredb <archive-path> Restores a directory to the backed-up state. ENVIRONMENT
The environment variable SSOUtilDebugLevel can be set to change the verbosity of the log. Valid values are [0-9]. The default value is 1. FILES
/usr/sbin/slapconfig SEE ALSO
DirectoryService(1), slapd(8) MacOSX June 1, 2019 MacOSX