Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cut out string in bash script Post 302397303 by cootue on Sunday 21st of February 2010 06:35:22 PM
Old 02-21-2010
Thanks guys for fast response!

Maybe I wasn't clear enough about that digit, but yeah, alister's solution works in both cases.

Cheers.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script: Cut / (slash) character in string

I have a string "\/scratch\/databases\". I want to have a new string "\/scratch\/databases" by cutting last '\' character using shell script. I can't do this Please help me. Thanks in advance ThuongTranVN (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ThuongTranVN
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read string, check string length and cut

Hello All, Plz help me with: I have a csv file with data separated by ',' and optionally enclosed by "". I want to check each of these values to see if they exceed the specified string length, and if they do I want to cut just that value to the max length allowed and keep the csv format as it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozzy80
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script to check the first character in string

Hello would appreciate if somebody can post a bash script that checks if the first character of the given string is equal to, say, "a" thnx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ole111
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script for searching a string

Hi, I have a file that contains thousands of records. Each record starts with "New Record". I need to search this file based on a given value of "timestamp" and write all the records that match this timestamp into a new file. I was able to locate the existence of a given value of timestamp using... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoponek
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash shell script string comparison

I want to remove a line that has empty string at second field when I use cut with delimeter , like below $cat demo hello, mum hello, #!/bin/sh while read line do if then # remove the current line command goes here fi done < "demo" i got an error message for above... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonosungho
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script tail when string found do something

Okay, I have two scripts, the first one does some stuff, and comes to a point where it has this: Right here it runs a quick script to start something that writes to a log file. /usr/bin/tail -f ${pathVar}/nohup_${servVar}.out | while read -r line do ] && continue cd ${pathVar}... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Requesting help to replace a string by my bash script

Hello every1, I need help to replace a string in a file by my bash script. Find: log4j.appender.toLogFile.layout.ConversionPattern= %d %5p (%F:%L) - %m%n= %d %5p (%F:%L) - %m%n Replace: log4j.appender.toLogFile.layout.ConversionPattern= %d %5p (%F:%L) - %m%n I tried by sed, but kept... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: titanic4u
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to cut string from a filename

Hi, I need a script which do below I have a filename: TEST2013_09_17_XX_XX_XX.csv Now script should create a new file with name: XX_XX_XX.csv Or I should say i need the output as XX_XX_XX.csv Please help. Mant thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing string from SQL to a BASH script

OS Solaris 10, DB oracle 10g Hello, We currently have a BASH script that runs and moves image files from a remote server to the local db server. A snippet of the code shows that we are picking up all Images that are 'mtime -1' some code... for file in `ssh user@10.200.200.10 'find... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JonP
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using :<<cut / cut to comment out block of bash script

I am using : << cut / cut to comment out block of code. Works fine on few lines of script, then it gives me this cryptic error when I try to comment out about 80 lines. The "warning " is at last line of script. done < results 169 echo "END read all positioning parameters" 170... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
8 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)