Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming write() issue during a low level hdd access Post 302397265 by sponnusa on Sunday 21st of February 2010 04:39:16 PM
Old 02-21-2010
I wanted the write to fail only for the bad sectors, but it was failing for all the sectors in the O_DIRECT mode, but I got a working program. (Well, working means, I was able to write to the sectors, but still could not get it to fail for the bad sectors).

As i had updated in my previous post, i had created a small program which writes to the sectors with O_DIRECT. I guess i might have made some mistake in my original O_DIRECT try. (lets leave it apart! Smilie)

But, even with the O_DIRECT and O_SYNC flags in place, the write passes for all the bad sectors.

Is there anything that has be enabled / checked?

Thank you for the replies.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Low level format?

I want to do a low level format like in windows (C:\format c:) but I don't know how it works in unix or linux.. Can somebody help me ? thnx :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: day
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

Access to a second HDD

Hello How to access to a second hard disk on a HP-UX system? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ouniss
3 Replies

3. IP Networking

Best reference for understanding low level info on nic cards drivers and functionality

Hi, What is the best reference that gives in detail on nic cards configuration , assigning multiple ip addresses to a single interface, netlink library etc and all basic stuff at this level..? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
2 Replies

4. AIX

High Runqueue (R) LOW CPU LOW I/O Low Network Low memory usage

Hello All I have a system running AIX 61 shared uncapped partition (with 11 physical processors, 24 Virtual 72GB of Memory) . The output from NMON, vmstat show a high run queue (60+) for continous periods of time intervals, but NO paging, relatively low I/o (6000) , CPU % is 40, Low network.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: IL-Malti
9 Replies

5. Programming

System calls and C language low-level qualities???

Hi friends, I hope everyone is fine and doing well. I queried in my previous thread about the low-level qualities of C/C++ languages.I really thank you people for explaining, it was really helpful. One more ambiquity that I have in my mind is regarding the unix system calls like open, creat,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gabam
1 Replies

6. Programming

Why is C/C++ considered low-level languages???

Hi friends, I hope everyone is doing well and fine. I have always been hearing that C/C++ are relatively low-level as compared to Java/C# etc. Could you please tell me some low-level qualities of C/C++? And I think disk deframenters are written in C/C++, please correct me if I am wrong. And please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
5 Replies

7. Programming

Low level X11 programming

How to use X11 without Xlib not XCB? How draw window directly on low level? I must use anyway window manager like Motif? I have ridden that X11 has server-client architecture, client send via TCP/IP to port 6000 request for primitives and get replies. Where is detailed description of it? In X11... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AndrzejB
0 Replies
BLOCKDEV(8)						       System Administration						       BLOCKDEV(8)

NAME
blockdev - call block device ioctls from the command line SYNOPSIS
blockdev [-q] [-v] command [command...] device [device...] blockdev --report [device...] DESCRIPTION
The utility blockdev allows one to call block device ioctls from the command line. OPTIONS
-V Print version and exit. -q Be quiet. -v Be verbose. --report Print a report for the specified device. It is possible to give multiple devices. If none is given, all devices which appear in /proc/partitions are shown. Note that the partition StartSec is in 512-byte sectors. COMMANDS
It is possible to give multiple devices and multiple commands. --flushbufs Flush buffers. --getalignoff Get alignment offset. --getbsz Print blocksize in bytes. --getdiscardzeroes Get discard zeroes support status. --getfra Get filesystem readahead in 512-byte sectors. --getiomin Get minimum I/O size. --getioopt Get optimal I/O size. --getmaxsect Get max sectors per request --getpbsz Get physical block (sector) size. --getra Print readahead (in 512-byte sectors). --getro Get read-only. Print 1 if the device is read-only, 0 otherwise. --getsize64 Print device size in bytes. --getsize Print device size (32-bit!) in sectors. Deprecated in favor of the --getsz option. --getss Print sectorsize in bytes - usually 512. --getsz Get size in 512-byte sectors. --rereadpt Reread partition table --setbsz bytes Set blocksize. --setfra sectors Set filesystem readahead (same like --setra on 2.6 kernels). --setra sectors Set readahead (in 512-byte sectors). --setro Set read-only. --setrw Set read-write. AUTHOR
blockdev was written by Andries E. Brouwer and rewritten by Karel Zak. AVAILABILITY
The blockdev command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux August 2010 BLOCKDEV(8)