Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming C++ segmentation fault while checking for null pointer Post 302397209 by vijaymrt on Sunday 21st of February 2010 11:34:34 AM
Old 02-21-2010
Thank you ppl

Thank u for ur time ppl. made a mistake at other part of prog so null was being to ptr...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

segmentation fault

hi all i'm trying to execute a c program under linux RH and it gives me segmentation fault, this program was running under unix at&t anybody kow what the problem could be? thanx in advance regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omran
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Segmentation Fault

hello all, I tried a program on an array to intialise array elements from the standard input device.it is an integer array of 5 elements.but after entering the 4th element it throws a message called "Segmentation Fault" and returns to the command prompt without asking for the 5th element. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: compbug
3 Replies

3. Programming

Hi! segmentation fault

I have written a program which takes a directory as command line arguments and displays all the dir and files in it. I don't know why I have a problem with the /etc directory.It displays all the directories and files untill it reaches a sub directory called peers which is in /etc/ppp/peers.the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijlak
4 Replies

4. Programming

segmentation fault

Hi, I am having this segmentation fault not in the following program, bt. in my lab program . My lab program is horrible long so cannot post it here bt. I am using the following logic in my program which is giving the segmentation fault. Bt. if I run this sample program as it is it dosen't give... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mind@work
3 Replies

5. Programming

segmentation fault

What is segmentation fault(core dumped) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokult
1 Replies

6. Programming

Segmentation fault.

I'm getting a segmentation fault. I'm new to Linux programming. Thanks so much for all of your input.:eek: #include </usr/include/mysql++/mysql++.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <iostream> #include <sstream> #include <string.h> using namespace std; int outputToImport(const char*... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sepoto
1 Replies

7. Programming

segmentation fault.

This code is causing a segmentation fault and I can't figure out why. I'm new to UNIX and I need to learn how to avoid this segmentation fault thing. Thank you so much. Thanks also for the great answers to my last post.:):b: int main() { mysqlpp::Connection conn(false); if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sepoto
3 Replies

8. Programming

Using gdb, ignore beginning segmentation fault until reproduce environment segmentation fault

I use a binary name (ie polo) it gets some parameter , so for debugging normally i do this : i wrote script for watchdog my app (polo) and check every second if it's not running then start it , the problem is , if my app , remain in state of segmentation fault for a while (ie 15 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pooyair
6 Replies

9. Programming

Segmentation fault when I pass a char pointer to a function in C.

I am passing a char* to the function "reverse" and when I execute it with gdb I get: Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault. 0x000000000040083b in reverse (s=0x400b2b "hello") at pointersExample.c:72 72 *q = *p; Attached is the source code. I do not understand why... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jose_spain
9 Replies

10. Programming

C. To segmentation fault or not to segmentation fault, that is the question.

Oddities with gcc, 2.95.3 for the AMIGA and 4.2.1 for MY current OSX 10.14.1... I am creating a basic calculator for the AMIGA ADE *NIX emulator in C as it does not have one. Below are two very condensed snippets of which I have added the results inside the each code section. IMPORTANT!... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
11 Replies
MALLOC(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 MALLOC(3)

NAME
malloc, free, realloc, calloc, alloca - memory allocator SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <alloca.h> void *malloc(size_t size) void free(void *ptr) void *realloc(void *ptr, size_t size) void *calloc(size_t nelem, size_t elsize) void *alloca(size_t size) DESCRIPTION
Malloc and free provide a general-purpose memory allocation package. Malloc returns a pointer to a block of at least size bytes beginning on a word boundary. The argument to free is a pointer to a block previously allocated by malloc; this space is made available for further allocation, but its contents are left undisturbed. A call with a null ptr is legal and does nothing. Needless to say, grave disorder will result if the space assigned by malloc is overrun or if some random number is handed to free. Malloc maintains multiple lists of free blocks according to size, allocating space from the appropriate list. It calls sbrk (see brk(2)) to get more memory from the system when there is no suitable space already free. Realloc changes the size of the block pointed to by ptr to size bytes and returns a pointer to the (possibly moved) block. The contents will be unchanged up to the lesser of the new and old sizes. A call with a null ptr is legal and has the same result as malloc(size). Calloc allocates space for an array of nelem elements of size elsize. The space is initialized to zeros. Alloca allocates size bytes of space in the stack frame of the caller. This temporary space is automatically freed on return. Each of the allocation routines returns a pointer to space suitably aligned (after possible pointer coercion) for storage of any type of object. SEE ALSO
brk(2). DIAGNOSTICS
Malloc, realloc and calloc return a null pointer if there is no available memory or if the arena has been detectably corrupted by storing outside the bounds of a block. NOTES
Other implementations of malloc, realloc or calloc may return a null pointer if the size of the requested block is zero. This implementa- tion will always return a zero length block at a unique address, but you should keep in mind that a null return is possible if the program is run to another system and that this should not be mistakenly seen as an error. BUGS
When realloc returns a null pointer, the block pointed to by ptr may be destroyed. Alloca is machine dependent; its use is discouraged. 4th Berkeley Distribution May 14, 1986 MALLOC(3)