Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: fgets problems
Top Forums Programming fgets problems Post 302397207 by achenle on Sunday 21st of February 2010 10:49:56 AM
Old 02-21-2010
Let me get this straight: you have a custom memory management library, and your code using that library crashes?

OK.

You need all the help you can get. But there's not much out there.

Your only hope is to do something like download a demo copy of Purify and use it. And then pray that you don't have any bugs in your custom library.

And good luck.

You're going to need it.

There's a reason why nobody writes their own memory management libraries. First off, the multiple libraries available for free on your OS of choice are almost certainly fast enough. If they're not, you're most likely doing something wrong, like an over-reliance on malloc()/free() and/or new/delete. And if the OS libaries truly aren't fast enough (and if you're not multithreaded on a massively parallel application, they ARE fast enough!), there are third-party memory management libraries available.

Go price something like Smartheap. Then calculate all the hours spent on your custom memory library and how much those hours cost. Want to bet Smartheap is cheaper? If you even need it in the first place.

There are probably literally thousands of man-years invested by many absolutely brilliant computer scientists and programmers in all the memory-management libraries available in today's operating systems. And those products have been thoroughly tested - for literally decades.

You want a car analogy? Writing your own memory management library is like chiseling out a stone wheel for a sports car. The only reason to do it is for the sake of doing it - as a hobby or academic learning experience. Because there's no way you can duplicate the engineering history behind a "normal" wheel. Even if you do manage to chisel out a wheel that manages to outperform a "normal" wheel in a tiny operating range, you'll never really know how durable your wheel is because it's totally untested.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

'make' problems (compliation problems?)

I'm trying to compile and install both most recent version of 'make' and the most recent version of 'openssh' on my Sparc20. I've run into the following problems... and I don't know what they mean. Can someone please help me resolve these issues? I'm using the 'make' version that was... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with ld.so.1

I renamed ld.so.1 on a Sun machine running Solaris 2.6. Now I cannot boot the system and I can use only very few commands in Maintenance Mode. Can someone help me? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ciccio
3 Replies

3. Programming

fgets()

does anyone knows how to accept a command from a user.. i was wondering to use fgets(), but got no idea how to start it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skanky
4 Replies

4. Programming

Problem with fgets and rewind function ..

Hello Friends, I got stuck with fgets () & rewind() function .. Please need help.. Actually I am doing a like, The function should read lines from a txt file until the function is called.. If the data from the txt file ends then it goes to the top and then again when the function is called... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: user_prady
1 Replies

5. Programming

Question about NULL Character & fgets()

Assume client send the message " Hello ", i get output such as Sent mesg: hello Bytes Sent to Client: 6 bytes_received = recv(clientSockD, data, MAX_DATA, 0); if(bytes_received) { send(clientSockD, data, bytes_received, 0); data = '\0';... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f.ben.isaac
2 Replies

6. Programming

[C] fgets problem with SIGINT singlal!!!

Hi all, I have this method to read a string from a STDIN: void readLine(char* inputBuffer){ fgets (inputBuffer, MAX_LINE, stdin); fflush(stdin); /* remove '\n' char from string */ if(strlen(inputBuffer) != 0) inputBuffer = '\0'; } All work fine but if i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hurricane86
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with using less

Hello, I am having problems with using less on Linux version 2.6.18-92.1.17.el5 (brewbuilder@hs20-bc1-7.build.redhat.com) (gcc version 4.1.2 20071124 (Red Hat 4.1.2-42)). I am using csh but have the same problems on bash. If I pipe something to less it works perfectly i.e. cat file | less... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: z1dane
9 Replies

8. Programming

fgets problems newline

hello, i'm trying to write a C-program that reads a file line by line. (and searches each line for a given string) This file is an special ASCII-database-file, with a lot of entries. I checked the line with most length, and it was about 4000 characters. With google i found several... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: p1cm1n
4 Replies

9. Programming

fgets read file line with "\n" inside

Hi, I have a string like this, char str ="This, a sample string.\\nThis is the second line, \\n \\n, we will have one blank line"; if I want to use strtok() to seperate the string, which token should I use? I tried "\n", "\\n", either not working. peter (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: laopi
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

while and do problems

Any ideas how to clear this error as it seems I dont understand if,do,while and els commands #!/bin/ksh set -x print "This script creates test messages" print "Please enter test case name" read testcasename echo $testcasename skipfield=Y while print "Do you want to skip this field... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrew.p.mcderm
4 Replies
PAM_WHEEL(8)							 Linux-PAM Manual						      PAM_WHEEL(8)

NAME
pam_wheel - Only permit root access to members of group wheel SYNOPSIS
pam_wheel.so [debug] [deny] [group=name] [root_only] [trust] [use_uid] DESCRIPTION
The pam_wheel PAM module is used to enforce the so-called wheel group. By default it permits root access to the system if the applicant user is a member of the wheel group. If no group with this name exist, the module is using the group with the group-ID 0. OPTIONS
debug Print debug information. deny Reverse the sense of the auth operation: if the user is trying to get UID 0 access and is a member of the wheel group (or the group of the group option), deny access. Conversely, if the user is not in the group, return PAM_IGNORE (unless trust was also specified, in which case we return PAM_SUCCESS). group=name Instead of checking the wheel or GID 0 groups, use the name group to perform the authentication. root_only The check for wheel membership is done only. trust The pam_wheel module will return PAM_SUCCESS instead of PAM_IGNORE if the user is a member of the wheel group (thus with a little play stacking the modules the wheel members may be able to su to root without being prompted for a passwd). use_uid The check for wheel membership will be done against the current uid instead of the original one (useful when jumping with su from one account to another for example). MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
The auth and account module types are provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_AUTH_ERR Authentication failure. PAM_BUF_ERR Memory buffer error. PAM_IGNORE The return value should be ignored by PAM dispatch. PAM_PERM_DENY Permission denied. PAM_SERVICE_ERR Cannot determine the user name. PAM_SUCCESS Success. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN User not known. EXAMPLES
The root account gains access by default (rootok), only wheel members can become root (wheel) but Unix authenticate non-root applicants. su auth sufficient pam_rootok.so su auth required pam_wheel.so su auth required pam_unix.so SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(8) AUTHOR
pam_wheel was written by Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com>. Linux-PAM Manual 09/19/2013 PAM_WHEEL(8)