Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed variable and backslash
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed variable and backslash Post 302396907 by fedora on Friday 19th of February 2010 04:52:05 PM
Old 02-19-2010
sorry i mean slash, not backslash,

i know i can use blackslash to escape slash, but the thing is i have to pass the variable to sed. and i cannot predict if the variable will have slash and where the slash will show up.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed and awk backslash characters

Hi, I have a variable read from user input: PROFILESROOTDIR="\\194.185.82.188\CMSRepository\EncodingProfiles" awk -F"=" -v gr=$PROFILESROOTDIR '/ProfilesRootDirectoryFromXOEMachine/{$2=gr;}1' OFS="=" $CFGFILE > "${CFGFILE}_new" For this awk to work properly I need to replace in the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: potro
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Non-inserting backslash in sed statement

#!/bin/bash wget -O tmp.tmp "YouTube - Pretty Woman- Vivian's Goes Shopping!" temp=`grep 'one&video_id=' tmp.tmp | sed "s/.*one&video_id=\(.*\)'\;.*/\1/"` temp="http://www.youtube.com/get_video?video_id=$temp" temp=`echo $temp|sed -n "s/!/\\!/p"` echo " -O $filename \"$temp\"" Output:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kds1398
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use backslash and variables in sed

I have a line that contains backslashes in which I want sed to substitute text with variables. The line; \\s008\2033330user$ I want to change this in \\s008.ourschool.com\2033330user$ I now use this script: USER=2033330user sed 's/\\'"$USER"'/.ourschool.com\\'"$USER/" This doesn't... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tubbie
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED script to backslash special characters

I have a shell script that I have written to be a kind of to-do/notepad that's quickly executable from the command line. However, special characters tend to break it pretty well. Ie: "notes -a This is an entry." works fine. "notes -a This is (my) entry." will toss back a bash syntax error on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: skylersee
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut on last backslash on hyperlink string-sed/awk??

hyper link- abc:8081/xyz/2.5.6/rtyp-2.5.6.jar Needs to get "rtyp-2.5.6.jar" i.e character after last backslash "/" how to do this using sed/awk?? help is highly appreciated. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkscm
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I get sed to include backslash and 'f' in the output

Both of these fail. One has two form feeds, the second form leaves all the backslashes. bold='\(code\|command\|var\|samp\|option\|strong\)' sed -e "s;@${bold}{"'\(*\)};\fB\2\fP;g' sed -e "s;@${bold}{"'\(*\)};\\fB\2\\fP;g' Obviously, I'm trying to change texi markup into man page markup, but it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkorb
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace backslash at the end of the string using sed command

I have text file which is a tab delimited one. Sample data from the file is shown below: unix is\ great\ os linux\ is superb I want to replace that backslash with empty string preserving the tab delimiter. Output should be unix is great os linux is ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: p.akhilreddy4u
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing backslash character to awk variable

Hi All. I have a file that contains some special characters and I'm trying to use AWK to search for lines between <pattern1> and <pattern2>. As an example: I need the lines between the line containing ' select_id="x_0 ' and the line containing the next instance of ' from '. This is a file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mudshark
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a backslash in front of square brackets with sed

I'm trying to convert this line: to \ with sed. This is what I have so far: sed -e 's/\]*\)\]/\\\\\/' but this still gives me . Any suggestions? (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: lehaste
15 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add backslash and apostrophe to string in variable.

Hi All I want to add backslash and apostrophe to variable in my bash script. I have my variable: USER_LIST=USER1,USER2,USER3 and I want something like this: USER_LIST_DEL=/'USER1/',/'USER2/',/'USER3/' any ideas ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: primo102
1 Replies
FNMATCH(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							FNMATCH(3)

NAME
fnmatch - match filename or pathname SYNOPSIS
#include <fnmatch.h> int fnmatch(const char *pattern, const char *string, int flags); DESCRIPTION
The fnmatch() function checks whether the string argument matches the pattern argument, which is a shell wildcard pattern. The flags argument modifies the behaviour; it is the bitwise OR of zero or more of the following flags: FNM_NOESCAPE If this flag is set, treat backslash as an ordinary character, instead of an escape character. FNM_PATHNAME If this flag is set, match a slash in string only with a slash in pattern and not, for example, with a [] - sequence containing a slash. FNM_PERIOD If this flag is set, a leading period in string has to be matched exactly by a period in pattern. A period is considered to be leading if it is the first character in string, or if both FNM_PATHNAME is set and the period immediately follows a slash. FNM_FILE_NAME This is a GNU synonym for FNM_PATHNAME. FNM_LEADING_DIR If this flag (a GNU extension) is set, the pattern is considered to be matched if it matches an initial segment of string which is followed by a slash. This flag is mainly for the internal use of glibc and is only implemented in certain cases. FNM_CASEFOLD If this flag (a GNU extension) is set, the pattern is matched case-insensitively. RETURN VALUE
Zero if string matches pattern, FNM_NOMATCH if there is no match or another non-zero value if there is an error. CONFORMING TO
ISO/IEC 9945-2: 1993 (POSIX.2). The FNM_FILE_NAME, FNM_LEADING_DIR, and FNM_CASEFOLD flags are GNU extensions. SEE ALSO
sh(1), glob(3), scandir(3), glob(7) GNU
2000-10-15 FNMATCH(3)