Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed variable and backslash
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed variable and backslash Post 302396904 by EAGL€ on Friday 19th of February 2010 04:37:32 PM
Old 02-19-2010
I see only normal slashes in your example,
If you want to escape backslash then use another backslash in front of it,
Or If you have many slash in the patterns like in your example then use the below form,then as i know you dont need to escape slashes:

Code:
sed -n '# # #' logfile

ok, let me give a good example:

assume you want to change the directory /usr/bin/sh with /usr/bin/bash then use this

Code:
sed 's#/usr/bin/sh#/usr/bin/bash#g'  file

otherwise you have to use many backslashes to escape slashes:

Code:
sed 's/\/usr\/bin\/sh/\/usr\/bin\/bash/g' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed and awk backslash characters

Hi, I have a variable read from user input: PROFILESROOTDIR="\\194.185.82.188\CMSRepository\EncodingProfiles" awk -F"=" -v gr=$PROFILESROOTDIR '/ProfilesRootDirectoryFromXOEMachine/{$2=gr;}1' OFS="=" $CFGFILE > "${CFGFILE}_new" For this awk to work properly I need to replace in the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: potro
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Non-inserting backslash in sed statement

#!/bin/bash wget -O tmp.tmp "YouTube - Pretty Woman- Vivian's Goes Shopping!" temp=`grep 'one&video_id=' tmp.tmp | sed "s/.*one&video_id=\(.*\)'\;.*/\1/"` temp="http://www.youtube.com/get_video?video_id=$temp" temp=`echo $temp|sed -n "s/!/\\!/p"` echo " -O $filename \"$temp\"" Output:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kds1398
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use backslash and variables in sed

I have a line that contains backslashes in which I want sed to substitute text with variables. The line; \\s008\2033330user$ I want to change this in \\s008.ourschool.com\2033330user$ I now use this script: USER=2033330user sed 's/\\'"$USER"'/.ourschool.com\\'"$USER/" This doesn't... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tubbie
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED script to backslash special characters

I have a shell script that I have written to be a kind of to-do/notepad that's quickly executable from the command line. However, special characters tend to break it pretty well. Ie: "notes -a This is an entry." works fine. "notes -a This is (my) entry." will toss back a bash syntax error on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: skylersee
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut on last backslash on hyperlink string-sed/awk??

hyper link- abc:8081/xyz/2.5.6/rtyp-2.5.6.jar Needs to get "rtyp-2.5.6.jar" i.e character after last backslash "/" how to do this using sed/awk?? help is highly appreciated. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkscm
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I get sed to include backslash and 'f' in the output

Both of these fail. One has two form feeds, the second form leaves all the backslashes. bold='\(code\|command\|var\|samp\|option\|strong\)' sed -e "s;@${bold}{"'\(*\)};\fB\2\fP;g' sed -e "s;@${bold}{"'\(*\)};\\fB\2\\fP;g' Obviously, I'm trying to change texi markup into man page markup, but it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkorb
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace backslash at the end of the string using sed command

I have text file which is a tab delimited one. Sample data from the file is shown below: unix is\ great\ os linux\ is superb I want to replace that backslash with empty string preserving the tab delimiter. Output should be unix is great os linux is ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: p.akhilreddy4u
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing backslash character to awk variable

Hi All. I have a file that contains some special characters and I'm trying to use AWK to search for lines between <pattern1> and <pattern2>. As an example: I need the lines between the line containing ' select_id="x_0 ' and the line containing the next instance of ' from '. This is a file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mudshark
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a backslash in front of square brackets with sed

I'm trying to convert this line: to \ with sed. This is what I have so far: sed -e 's/\]*\)\]/\\\\\/' but this still gives me . Any suggestions? (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: lehaste
15 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add backslash and apostrophe to string in variable.

Hi All I want to add backslash and apostrophe to variable in my bash script. I have my variable: USER_LIST=USER1,USER2,USER3 and I want something like this: USER_LIST_DEL=/'USER1/',/'USER2/',/'USER3/' any ideas ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: primo102
1 Replies
pkgproto(1)							   User Commands						       pkgproto(1)

NAME
pkgproto - generate prototype file entries for input to pkgmk command SYNOPSIS
pkgproto [-i] [-c class] [path1] pkgproto [-i] [-c class] [path1=path2...] DESCRIPTION
pkgproto scans the indicated paths and generates prototype(4) file entries that may be used as input to the pkgmk(1) command. If no paths are specified on the command line, standard input is assumed to be a list of paths. If the pathname listed on the command line is a directory, the contents of the directory is searched. However, if input is read from stdin, a directory specified as a pathname will not be searched. OPTIONS
-i Ignores symbolic links and records the paths as ftype=f (a file) versus ftype=s (symbolic link). -c class Maps the class of all paths to class. OPERANDS
path1 Pathname where objects are located. path2 Pathname which should be substituted on output for path1. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Examples of the use of pkgproto.1. The following two examples show uses of pkgproto and a partial listing of the output produced. Example 1: example% pkgproto /bin=bin /usr/bin=usrbin /etc=etc f none bin/sed=/bin/sed 0775 bin bin f none bin/sh=/bin/sh 0755 bin daemon f none bin/sort=/bin/sort 0755 bin bin f none usrbin/sdb=/usr/bin/sdb 0775 bin bin f none usrbin/shl=/usr/bin/shl 4755 bin bin d none etc/master.d 0755 root daemon f none etc/master.d/kernel=/etc/master.d/kernel 0644 root daemon f none etc/rc=/etc/rc 0744 root daemon Example 2: example% find / -type d -print | pkgproto d none / 755 root root d none /bin 755 bin bin d none /usr 755 root root d none /usr/bin 775 bin bin d none /etc 755 root root d none /tmp 777 root root EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
pkgmk(1), pkgparam(1), pkgtrans(1), prototype(4), attributes(5) Application Packaging Developer's Guide NOTES
By default, pkgproto creates symbolic link entries for any symbolic link encountered (ftype=s). When you use the -i option, pkgproto cre- ates a file entry for symbolic links (ftype=f). The prototype(4) file would have to be edited to assign such file types as v (volatile), e (editable), or x (exclusive directory). pkgproto detects linked files. If multiple files are linked together, the first path encountered is considered the source of the link. By default, pkgproto prints prototype entries on the standard output. However, the output should be saved in a file (named Prototype or prototype, for convenience) to be used as input to the pkgmk(1) command. SunOS 5.10 6 Nov 2000 pkgproto(1)