Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Command to sort directories after a recursive find Post 302396811 by methyl on Friday 19th of February 2010 10:57:02 AM
Old 02-19-2010
We don't know what Operating System of shell you have.
One idea is to extract the name of the low-level directory and use it as a temporary prefix while we sort.

Also, your "find" needs a start directory parameter. I have used "." in this example. Because I have used ":" as a delimiter this script will not work if a directory name contains a colon.

Code:
#!/bin/ksh
(
find . -type d -name "TC_[0-9][0-9][0-9]*" | while read DIR 
do
        DIRB=`basename "${DIR}"`
        echo "${DIRB}:${DIR}"
done
) | sort | cut -d: -f2-

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep recursive directories

I am trying to locate a file or files with specific data in them. Problem is the file(s) could reside in any one of many directories. My question is. Is there a way of recursively greping directories for the file(s) with the data I am looking for. I have tried - 1. $HOME> grep 47518 | ls... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

recursive chmod that only affects directories?

The man page for chmod doesn't list a way to recursively change permissions on directories only, without affecting the files themselves. Let's say that I wanted to change the permissions on the current directory and all subdirectories. I know I can write a bash script that would do this using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: retrovertigo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive call to find files and directories in Shell script from current path.

################################################################ Copy this script to your path from where you want to search for all the files and directories in subdirectories recursively. ################################################################# code starts here... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramit_Gupta
2 Replies

4. AIX

recursive archive directories and subdirectories

Hi everyone, Maybe this is simple question for many of you, but I get confused.:confused: How to archive a parent directory which contains some subdirectories and some files? I have searched this forum, there are some commands like tar,etc, I tried but can not be implemented in my system.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsonSurya
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Non recursive find command

Hi, I have question is related to find command. I want to find command should search in current folder only not recursive mode(sub-folders). I found a one way of, find . \( -name success -prune \) -o -name "Rajini*" How ever, my current folder is having lots sub-folders and am not... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive looping through files and directories

hi; i need a script which will go to all directories and subdirectories and print the filenames as follow; here i m printing only files listing in current directory reason i m doing this is coz i want to perform some operations according to filename achieved so cant use find command;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaypadvi
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command with sort

HI Find command is sorting differently in different machines. I am trying a script to find file with -name option and delete the files other and keep the latest. the problem I am facing is in one machine find command is returning output sorted with oldest first and latest . But in another... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ningy
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep command to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories.

Hi all, Using grep command, i want to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories. e.g: if i want to search for a pattern named "parmeter", i used the command grep -i "param" ../* is this correct? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinothrajan55
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Non Recursive Find Command

Hello Unix Gurus, I am using the following find commands: 1) find Input_Path -name '*.' -exec mv -f {} Outputpath \; 2) find Inputpath -name '*.' -exec cp {} Outputpath \; 3) find Somepath -name '*.' Now the problem is my Unix version does not support maxdepth Option for find... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchegoor
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed - find command for recursive search

Hi All I have a requirement to find the file that are most latest to be modified in each directory. Can somebody help with the command please? E.g of the problem. The directory A is having sub directory which are having subdirectory an so on. I need a command which will find the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudeep.id
2 Replies
fatsort(1)						      General Commands Manual							fatsort(1)

NAME
FATSort - FAT filesystem sorting utility SYNOPSIS
fatsort [options] device DESCRIPTION
FATsort sorts directory structures of FAT filesystems. Many MP3 hardware players don't sort files automatically but play them in the order they were transmitted to the device. FATSort can help here. OPTIONS
-c This option causes FATSort to ignore the case of filenames (e.g. 'example.mp3' is equal to 'EXAMPLE.MP3'). -f Force sorting even if the device is mounted or if FATSort cannot determine if the device is mounted. -h Shows some help information. -i Prints some file system information of the specified device. -l FATSort will not sort directory structures, but just print the current order. -o type This options specifies how FATSort will sort files and directories. type can be 'd' for directories before files (which is the default), 'f' for files before directories, or 'a' for no differentiation between files and directories. -n Uses natural order to sort directory structures instead of alphanumeric order. For example, an alphanumeric order would be file123.mp3 file21.mp3 file3.mp3 and the corresponding natural order would be file3.mp3 file21.mp3 file123.mp3. -q FATSort will work quietly without printing additional information messages. -r Sorts the directories in reverse order (Z-A). -R Sorts the directories in random order. -v Shows version information only. The following options can be specified multiple times: -d directory Sort directory only -D directory Sort directory and all subdirectories -x directory Don't sort directory -X directory Don't sort directory and all subdirectories -I prefix Ignore filename prefix prefix during sorting. For example, passing option -I "the " tells FATSort to sort 'The Beatles.mp3' like 'Beatles.mp3'. EXAMPLES
Sort FAT filesystem on an USB stick: fatsort /dev/sda1 Sort FAT filesystem in a file: fatsort /home/user/fat16_fs.img Sort directory /dir1 and all subdirectories except /dir1/dirA: fatsort /dev/sda1 -D /dir1 -x /dir1/dirA Ignore prefixes 'a ' and 'the ' during sorting: fatsort /dev/sda1 -I "a " -I "the " AUTHOR
Boris Leidner <fatsort(at)formenos.de> SEE ALSO
mount(8) fsck(8) NOTES
FAT12 is not supported yet. REPORT BUGS
Please report bugs to fatsort(at)formenos.de. Thanks. FATSort 0.9.15 2011 fatsort(1)