Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Renaming a file using wild characters Post 302396804 by master346 on Friday 19th of February 2010 10:32:05 AM
Old 02-19-2010
Renaming a file using wild characters

Hi,

I have a file named as StateDCH_CSHCS_100131.txt and the digits in the file name changes everyday. I have to read this file from UTL_FILE package of Oracle 10g. So I want to rename this file picking StateDCH*.txt to StateDCH_Standard.txt a fixed name so that my UTL_FILE utility can be able to read this renamed file. So how do I rename the StateDCH_CSHCS_100131.txt or StateDCH_CSHCS_100128.txt or StateDCH_CSHCS*.txt to StateDCH_Standard.txt ?

I am trying to rename like this
Code:
/bin/mv   /path/StateDCH*.txt   /path/StateDCH_Standard.txt

Is this right?

Please help me with this issue and thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited by vbe; 02-19-2010 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: cade tags please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming a file name

I have an audit log that is produced each day from a production printer. It names the file using todays date, but it removes the leading zero's. For example: todays date 060104 names the file 6104.txt. I ftp this file onto a Sun box and pull stats off of it. To keep some consistency to what I am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbrundrett
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming with wild chars

Hi, Is it possible to rename with wild charaters as destination name ex I wanna rename xxx_1010_zzz_0.txt to aaa_1010_zzz_1.txt, yyy_1000_ppp_1.txt to bbb_1000_ppp.0.txt I wanna reatin some of the patterns in the filename, rest I wanna rename. like mv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: braindrain
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

file renaming

How can I rename files named like these iq - 000001 - 2008.07.31 - 14.49.47 - location1.bin iq - 000001 - 2008.07.31 - 14.49.47 - location12.bin iq - 000008 - 2008.07.31 - 14.52.01 - location500.bin to iq_2008.07.31_14.49.47_location1.bin iq_2008.07.31_14.49.47_location12.bin... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: larne
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Existence of File with wild card using Csh

Hi All, I would like to find out the existence of files with wild card using CSH. I have used the below code but does not seem to work. Can any expert give me some advice ? set nonomatch set pattern = "_xxx" set filetype = ( *$pattern* ) if ( -e $filetype) then echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming a file use another file as a sequence calling a shl

have this shl that will FTP a file from the a directory in windows to UNIX, It get the name of the file stored in this variable $UpLoadFileName then put in the local directory LocalDir="${MPATH}/xxxxx/dat_files" that part seems to be working, but then I need to take that file and rename, I am using... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rechever
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File renaming from list of names contained in another file

I have to rename a large number of files so that the name of each file corresponds to a code number that is given side by side in a list (textfile). The list contains in column A the filename of the actual files to be renamed and in column B the name (a client code, 9 digits) that has to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: netfreighter
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with Renaming a file

I have a file named as Pro_PatAct_MMDDYYYY.csv. I need to renmae it to this Pro_PatAct.csv without the date timestamp. Can someone help me to achieve this using a regular expn. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: imran_affu
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file and check for the renamed file existence

Hi Am trying to move a file from one name to another When I do "ls" to check for the moved filename I can see the file but when I try the same with a script am unable.. I think am doing some pretty silly error.. please help.. toMove=`ls | grep -E "partition.+"` mv $toMove partition._org... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming Multiple Files by removing characters

Hi I would like to rename Multiple files in a Unix Directory using Ksh Command. Eg ATT8-2011-10-01 00:00:00-MSA-IMM-SINGLE_AND_FAMILY_COVERAGE-DED-$2000-X114817.PDF needs to be renamed as ATT8-2011-10-01-MSA-IMM-SINGLE_AND_FAMILY_COVERAGE-DED-$2000-X114817.PDF Basically the time... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchegoor
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL - getting last file using wild cards

Hi experts, I am new to perl. I am trying to get the last file from set of files. Using the below code; but getting error pls help Files: -rw-r--r-- 1 abc abc 12584 Mar 18 16:22 /abc/def/ghi/xyz.HOSTNAME.2016.03.18.16.21.69709-6 -rw-r--r-- 1 abc abc 12623 Mar 18 16:25... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
4 Replies
ZIPARCHIVE.ADDFILE(3)							 1						     ZIPARCHIVE.ADDFILE(3)

ZipArchive::addFile - Adds a file to a ZIP archive from the given path

SYNOPSIS
bool ZipArchive::addFile NULL (string $filename, [string $localname], [int $start], [int $length]) DESCRIPTION
Adds a file to a ZIP archive from a given path. PARAMETERS
o $filename - The path to the file to add. o $localname - If supplied, this is the local name inside the ZIP archive that will override the $filename. o $start - This parameter is not used but is required to extend ZipArchive. o $length - This parameter is not used but is required to extend ZipArchive. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
This example opens a ZIP file archive test.zip and add the file /path/to/index.txt. as newname.txt. Example #1 Open and add <?php $zip = new ZipArchive; if ($zip->open('test.zip') === TRUE) { $zip->addFile('/path/to/index.txt', 'newname.txt'); $zip->close(); echo 'ok'; } else { echo 'failed'; } ?> NOTES
Note When a file is set to be added to the archive, PHP will lock the file. The lock is only released once the ZipArchive object has been closed, either via ZipArchive::close or the ZipArchive object being destroyed. This may prevent you from being able to delete the file being added until after the lock has been released. PHP Documentation Group ZIPARCHIVE.ADDFILE(3)