Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Huge File Comparison
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Huge File Comparison Post 302396750 by methyl on Friday 19th of February 2010 07:40:15 AM
Old 02-19-2010
If the files are normally the same I'd run the checksum program "cksum" on each file first and compare the results. This is the quickest way to prove whether two files are identical.
If they are not identical then actually run a command to compare them.

Whether you can use any standard unix commands to compare files which are larger than 2Gb depends on your Operating System and version.

We seem to be assuming that these are unix standard text files. Are they text files? If not, what software was used to create the files?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

spliting up a huge file

I have a file {filename} which contains 65000 records I need to split into 6 smaller files roughly 11000 records each. Can someone advise me of the Unix command to do so ? Many thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grinder182533
2 Replies

2. Solaris

compare huge file

Hi, I have files with records of 40,00,000& 39,00,000 and i want to find out the content 1.which is existing in file1 and not in file2. 2.Which is exisitng in file2 and not in file1. The format of the file will be like 404ABCDEFGHIJK|CDEFGHIJK|1234567890|1 If its a smaller one i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: salaathi
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting huge file

Hi All I am sorting a huge file -rw-r--r-- 1 rama users 448156978 May 13 18:48 102384.temp $ sort -k 1,40n 102384.temp > 102384.temp1 msgcnt 1468 vxfs: mesg 001: vx_nospace - /dev/vg00/var file system full (1 block extent) sort: A write error occurred while sorting. I thought... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert a header in a huge data file without using an intermediate file

I have a file with data extracted, and need to insert a header with a constant string, say: H|PayerDataExtract if i use sed, i have to redirect the output to a seperate file like sed ' sed commands' ExtractDataFile.dat > ExtractDataFileWithHeader.dat the same is true for awk and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepaktanna
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on splitting this huge file

Hi , i have files coming in my system which are very huge in MB and GBs, all these files are in a single line, there is no newline character. I need to get only last 700 bytes of these files, of this i am splitting the files by "split -b 700 filename" but this gives all the splitted... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prateek007
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Three Difference File Huge Data Comparison Problem.

I got three different file: Part of File 1 ARTPHDFGAA . . Part of File 2 ARTGHHYESA . . Part of File 3 ARTPOLYWEA . . (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimised way for search & replace a value on one line in a very huge file (File Size is 24 GB).

Hi Experts, I had to edit (a particular value) in header line of a very huge file so for that i wanted to search & replace a particular value on a file which was of 24 GB in Size. I managed to do it but it took long time to complete. Can anyone please tell me how can we do it in a optimised... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishkomar007
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File comparison of huge files

Hi all, I hope you are well. I am very happy to see your contribution. I am eager to become part of it. I have the following question. I have two huge files to compare (almost 3GB each). The files are simulation outputs. The format of the files are as below For clear picture, please see... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

My file system is 100%, can't find the huge file

Please help. My file system is 100%, I can't seem to find what is taking so much space. The total hard drive space is 150Gig free but I got nothing now. I did to this to find the big file but it's taking so much time. Is there any other way? du -ah / | more find ./ -size +200M... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Split huge File System

Gents I have huge NAS File System as /sys with size 10 TB and I want to Split each 1TB in spirit File System to be mounted in the server. How to can I do that without changing anything in the source. Please your support. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AbuAliiiiiiiiii
1 Replies
hardlink(1)						      General Commands Manual						       hardlink(1)

NAME
hardlink - Link multiple copies of a file SYNOPSIS
hardlink [option]... [directory|file]... DESCRIPTION
hardlink is a tool which replaces copies of a file with hardlinks, therefore saving space. OPTIONS
-h or --help print quick usage details to the screen. -v or --verbose More verbose output. If specified once, every hardlinked file is displayed, if specified twice, it also shows every comparison. -n or --dry-run Do not act, just print what would happen -f or --respect-name Only try to link files with the same (basename). -p or --ignore-mode Link/compare files even if their mode is different. This may be a bit unpredictable. -o or --ignore-owner Link/compare files even if their owner (user and group) is different. It is not predictable -t or --ignore-time Link/compare files even if their time of modification is different. This will retain the newest timestamp, unless -m or -M is given. -m or --maximize Try to maximize the link count of the files. -M or --minimize Try to minimize the link count of the files. -x or --exclude A regular expression which excludes files from being compared and linked. -i or --include A regular expression to include files. If the option --exclude has been given, this option re-includes files which would otherwise be excluded. If the option is used without --exclude, only files matched by the pattern are included. ARGUMENTS
hardlink takes one or more directories which will be searched for files to be linked. BUGS
hardlink assumes that the trees it operates on do not change during operation. If a tree does change, the result is undefined and poten- tially dangerous. For example, if a regular file is replaced by a device, hardlink may start reading from the device. If a component of a path is replaced by a symbolic link or file permissions change, security may be compromised. Do not run hardlink on a changing tree or on a tree controlled by another user. AUTHOR
The program hardlink and this manpage have been written by Julian Andres Klode, and are licensed under the MIT license. See the code of hardlink for further information. 0.2.0 2012-02-28 hardlink(1)