Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Optimize and Speedup the script Post 302396452 by methyl on Thursday 18th of February 2010 12:46:56 PM
Old 02-18-2010
If in doubt correct all syntax errors even if the shell didn't spot them. You can get really strange effects.

On the performance front it would help to see how you are calling the script and in particular whether $3 contains wildcards. The only line which could be appreciably slow is the line which counts the records which match $4.
How big are your input file(s) - size and number of records ?
How many input files are there?

Do you call the script 9 times (once for every case statement) with different parameters? This could be the performance problem if every input file is searched 9 times for every run set of the script. If the input files are large it may be better to select all the records which interest you in one pass and then work on that subset.

How often do you run the script? Is it run from the command line, a control script, or from cron?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

optimize the script

Hi, I have this following script below. Its searching a log file for 2 string and if found then write the strings to success.txt and If not found write strings to failed.txt . if one found and not other...then write found to success.txt and not found to failed.txt. I want to optimize this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitrajvarma
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can we optimize this simple script ?

Hi All , I am just a new bie in Unix/Linux . With help of tips from 'here and there' , I just created a simple script to 1. declare one array and some global variables 2. read the schema names from user (user input) and want2proceed flag 3. if user want to proceed , keep reading user... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajavu
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

optimize shell script (snapshots)

I've a script to do some snapshots but the time it does so is very different... once i got a snapshot under 1 sec, on the other hand it took 3 sec, but nothing else changed, i didnt even move the cursor or something. I put the script on a ramdisk and its faster, but still swing from under 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mcW
1 Replies

4. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Help to optimize script running time

Dear Forum experts I have the below script which I made to run under bash shell, it runs perfectly for low records number, let us say like 100000. when I put all records (3,000,000), it's takes hours can you please suggest anything to optimize or to run in different way :-| {OFS="|";... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yahyaaa
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone please help me optimize my code (script searches subdirectories)?

Here is my code. What it does is it reads an input file (input.txt which contains roughly 2,000 search phrases) and searches a directory for files that contains the search phrase. The directory contains roughly 1900 files and 84 subdirectories. The output is a file (output.txt) that shows only the... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
23 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

optimize if block : shell script

Hi, I need a shell script to determine if a no. is either even, greater than 4, less than 8 SHELL : ksh OS : RHEL 6 this is the if block of the script mod=`expr $num % 2` if || || then echo "No. is either even or greater than 4 or less than 8" fi this code works... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete unique rows - optimize script

Hi all, I have the following input - the unique row key is 1st column cat file.txt A response C request C response D request C request C response E request The desired output should be C request (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: varu0612
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimize my mv script

Hello, I'm wondering if there is a quicker way of doing this. Here is my mv script. d=/conversion/program/out cd $d ls $d > /home/tempuser/$$tmp while read line ; do a=`echo $line|cut -c1-5|sed "s/_//g"` b=`echo $line|cut -c16-21` if ;then mkdir... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: whegra
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimize shell script to run faster

data.file: contact { contact_name=royce-rolls modified_attributes=0 modified_host_attributes=0 modified_service_attributes=0 host_notification_period=24x7 service_notification_period=24x7 last_host_notification=0 last_service_notification=0 host_notifications_enabled=1... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Optimize the Script Further

Hi All, I have written a new script to check for DB space and size of dump log file before it can be imported into a Oracle DB. I'm relatively new to shell scripting. Please help me optimize this script further. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: narayanv
0 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-adkpqr] [-F pipe] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. The following options are available: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -d When playing back a session with the -p flag, do not sleep between records when playing back a timestamped session. -F pipe Immediately flush output after each write. This will allow a user to create a named pipe using mkfifo(1) and another user may watch the live session using a utility like cat(1). -k Log keys sent to the program as well as output. -p Play back a session recorded with the -r flag in real time. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start, stop and command status messages. -r Record a session with input, output, and timestamping. -t time Specify the interval at which the script output file will be flushed to disk, in seconds. A value of 0 causes script to flush after every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-D (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variables are utilized by script: SCRIPT The SCRIPT environment variable is added to the sub-shell. If SCRIPT already existed in the users environment, its value is overwrit- ten within the sub-shell. The value of SCRIPT is the name of the typescript file. SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. The -d, -p and -r options first appeared in NetBSD 2.0 and were ported to FreeBSD 9.2. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when the terminal is in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. If script reads zero bytes from the terminal, it switches to a mode when it only attempts to read once a second until there is data to read. This prevents script from spinning on zero-byte reads, but might cause a 1-second delay in processing of user input. BSD
December 4, 2013 BSD