Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Optimize and Speedup the script Post 302396452 by methyl on Thursday 18th of February 2010 12:46:56 PM
Old 02-18-2010
If in doubt correct all syntax errors even if the shell didn't spot them. You can get really strange effects.

On the performance front it would help to see how you are calling the script and in particular whether $3 contains wildcards. The only line which could be appreciably slow is the line which counts the records which match $4.
How big are your input file(s) - size and number of records ?
How many input files are there?

Do you call the script 9 times (once for every case statement) with different parameters? This could be the performance problem if every input file is searched 9 times for every run set of the script. If the input files are large it may be better to select all the records which interest you in one pass and then work on that subset.

How often do you run the script? Is it run from the command line, a control script, or from cron?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

optimize the script

Hi, I have this following script below. Its searching a log file for 2 string and if found then write the strings to success.txt and If not found write strings to failed.txt . if one found and not other...then write found to success.txt and not found to failed.txt. I want to optimize this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitrajvarma
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can we optimize this simple script ?

Hi All , I am just a new bie in Unix/Linux . With help of tips from 'here and there' , I just created a simple script to 1. declare one array and some global variables 2. read the schema names from user (user input) and want2proceed flag 3. if user want to proceed , keep reading user... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajavu
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

optimize shell script (snapshots)

I've a script to do some snapshots but the time it does so is very different... once i got a snapshot under 1 sec, on the other hand it took 3 sec, but nothing else changed, i didnt even move the cursor or something. I put the script on a ramdisk and its faster, but still swing from under 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mcW
1 Replies

4. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Help to optimize script running time

Dear Forum experts I have the below script which I made to run under bash shell, it runs perfectly for low records number, let us say like 100000. when I put all records (3,000,000), it's takes hours can you please suggest anything to optimize or to run in different way :-| {OFS="|";... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yahyaaa
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone please help me optimize my code (script searches subdirectories)?

Here is my code. What it does is it reads an input file (input.txt which contains roughly 2,000 search phrases) and searches a directory for files that contains the search phrase. The directory contains roughly 1900 files and 84 subdirectories. The output is a file (output.txt) that shows only the... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
23 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

optimize if block : shell script

Hi, I need a shell script to determine if a no. is either even, greater than 4, less than 8 SHELL : ksh OS : RHEL 6 this is the if block of the script mod=`expr $num % 2` if || || then echo "No. is either even or greater than 4 or less than 8" fi this code works... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete unique rows - optimize script

Hi all, I have the following input - the unique row key is 1st column cat file.txt A response C request C response D request C request C response E request The desired output should be C request (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: varu0612
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimize my mv script

Hello, I'm wondering if there is a quicker way of doing this. Here is my mv script. d=/conversion/program/out cd $d ls $d > /home/tempuser/$$tmp while read line ; do a=`echo $line|cut -c1-5|sed "s/_//g"` b=`echo $line|cut -c16-21` if ;then mkdir... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: whegra
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimize shell script to run faster

data.file: contact { contact_name=royce-rolls modified_attributes=0 modified_host_attributes=0 modified_service_attributes=0 host_notification_period=24x7 service_notification_period=24x7 last_host_notification=0 last_service_notification=0 host_notifications_enabled=1... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Optimize the Script Further

Hi All, I have written a new script to check for DB space and size of dump log file before it can be imported into a Oracle DB. I'm relatively new to shell scripting. Please help me optimize this script further. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: narayanv
0 Replies
tclsh(1)							 Tcl Applications							  tclsh(1)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
tclsh - Simple shell containing Tcl interpreter SYNOPSIS
tclsh ?fileName arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tclsh is a shell-like application that reads Tcl commands from its standard input or from a file and evaluates them. If invoked with no arguments then it runs interactively, reading Tcl commands from standard input and printing command results and error messages to standard output. It runs until the exit command is invoked or until it reaches end-of-file on its standard input. If there exists a file .tclshrc (or tclshrc.tcl on the Windows platforms) in the home directory of the user, tclsh evaluates the file as a Tcl script just before reading the first command from standard input. SCRIPT FILES
If tclsh is invoked with arguments then the first argument is the name of a script file and any additional arguments are made available to the script as variables (see below). Instead of reading commands from standard input tclsh will read Tcl commands from the named file; tclsh will exit when it reaches the end of the file. There is no automatic evaluation of .tclshrc in this case, but the script file can always source it if desired. If you create a Tcl script in a file whose first line is #!/usr/local/bin/tclsh then you can invoke the script file directly from your shell if you mark the file as executable. This assumes that tclsh has been installed in the default location in /usr/local/bin; if it's installed somewhere else then you'll have to modify the above line to match. Many UNIX systems do not allow the #! line to exceed about 30 characters in length, so be sure that the tclsh executable can be accessed with a short file name. An even better approach is to start your script files with the following three lines: #!/bin/sh # the next line restarts using tclsh exec tclsh "$0" "$@" This approach has three advantages over the approach in the previous paragraph. First, the location of the tclsh binary doesn't have to be hard-wired into the script: it can be anywhere in your shell search path. Second, it gets around the 30-character file name limit in the previous approach. Third, this approach will work even if tclsh is itself a shell script (this is done on some systems in order to handle multiple architectures or operating systems: the tclsh script selects one of several binaries to run). The three lines cause both sh and tclsh to process the script, but the exec is only executed by sh. sh processes the script first; it treats the second line as a comment and executes the third line. The exec statement cause the shell to stop processing and instead to start up tclsh to reprocess the entire script. When tclsh starts up, it treats all three lines as comments, since the backslash at the end of the second line causes the third line to be treated as part of the comment on the second line. You should note that it is also common practise to install tclsh with its version number as part of the name. This has the advantage of | allowing multiple versions of Tcl to exist on the same system at once, but also the disadvantage of making it harder to write scripts that | start up uniformly across different versions of Tcl. VARIABLES
Tclsh sets the following Tcl variables: argc Contains a count of the number of arg arguments (0 if none), not including the name of the script file. argv Contains a Tcl list whose elements are the arg arguments, in order, or an empty string if there are no arg arguments. argv0 Contains fileName if it was specified. Otherwise, contains the name by which tclsh was invoked. tcl_interactive Contains 1 if tclsh is running interactively (no fileName was specified and standard input is a terminal-like device), 0 otherwise. PROMPTS
When tclsh is invoked interactively it normally prompts for each command with ``% ''. You can change the prompt by setting the variables tcl_prompt1 and tcl_prompt2. If variable tcl_prompt1 exists then it must consist of a Tcl script to output a prompt; instead of out- putting a prompt tclsh will evaluate the script in tcl_prompt1. The variable tcl_prompt2 is used in a similar way when a newline is typed but the current command isn't yet complete; if tcl_prompt2 isn't set then no prompt is output for incomplete commands. KEYWORDS
argument, interpreter, prompt, script file, shell Tcl tclsh(1)