Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Overwrite a running shell script Post 302396414 by methyl on Thursday 18th of February 2010 10:20:07 AM
Old 02-18-2010
I agree with Corona688. Overwriting a script while it is running can cause the script to fail and/or to execute commands out of context.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Running from Shell Vs running from RC script

Hi, i have a script which need to do behave differently when run as a startup process from init.d/ rc2.d script and when run manually from shell. How do i distinguish whether my script is run by init process or by shell?? Will the command /proc/$$/psinfo | grep "myscript" work well???... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
2 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

shell overwrite lines in a file

Hello, I have an external file (file.txt). This shall be a kind of a config file for my shell script. I get the line numbers as to a corresponding entry by grep. Now I would like to substitute the corresponding line from the shell script back to the file and exactly on the same line number. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ACTGADE
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script running command in different shell

Hi All, Is there any way where we can run few commands with different shell in a shell script ? Let's have an example below, My first line in script reads below, #!/bin/sh However due to some limitation of "/bin/sh" shell I wanted to use "/bin/bash" while executing few... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell script to check if script itself is running

hi guys we've had nagios spewing false alarm (for the umpteenth time) and finally the customer had enough so they're starting to question nagios. we had the check interval increased from 5 minutes to 2 minutes, but that's just temporary solution. I'm thinking of implementing a script on the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to overwrite shell script using vi editor

I have an existing shell script that I am trying to modify. I have about 10 lines of info I want to overwrite using text someone emailed to me. I guess what I am trying to do basically is like a copy/paste, but it's not working for me. I am using Cygwin and vi editor. I open the script and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimberlyg2007
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to overwrite a file

Hi Guys, My requirement as follows, i want to write a shell script to display the files of a folder, i export it to a file to mail the file. The problem is the exported file is getting appended every time I run the script. I just want the file to be over written. can anyone suggest?? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Karthick N
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for continuously checking status of a another script running in background, and immedia

Hi, I want to write a script which continuously checking status of a script running in background by nohup command. And if same script is not running then immediately start the script...please help.. i am using below command to run script nohup system_traps.sh & but in some... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing shell from a script and running something from the new shell

Hi We use "tcsh" shell . We do the following steps manually: > exec ssh-agent zsh > python "heloo.py" (in the zsh shell) I am trying to do the steps above from a shell script This is what I have so far echo "Executing " exec ssh-agent zsh python "hello.py" exit 0 Problem is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: heman82
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running 3 shell script parallel in another shell script

Hi, I'm trying to do teh below thing. I have a single script which uses 3 different parameters to do 3 different work like belwo. test1.sh par1 -- it shuts down an instance test1.sh par2 -- it shuts down an instance test1.sh par3 -- it shuts down an instance Now I created a script... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaski2012
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cp not working in shell script but running perfectly from shell

Dear All, I have script. Dest="" IFS=' ' for translation in $(echo $MY_MAP) do t1=$(echo $translation | cut -d"=" -f1) t2=$(echo $translation | cut -d"=" -f2| cut -d"," -f1) if then Dest=$UNX/$u_product_path/$u_study_path/$UNXTR/$t2 break; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
4 Replies
SETUID(1)						      General Commands Manual							 SETUID(1)

NAME
setuid - run a command with a different uid. SYNOPSIS
setuid username|uid command [ args ] DESCRIPTION
Setuid changes user id, then executes the specified command. Unlike some versions of su(1), this program doesn't ever ask for a password when executed with effective uid=root. This program doesn't change the environment; it only changes the uid and then uses execvp() to find the command in the path, and execute it. (If the command is a script, execvp() passes the command name to /bin/sh for processing.) For example, setuid some_user $SHELL can be used to start a shell running as another user. Setuid is useful inside scripts that are being run by a setuid-root user -- such as a script invoked with super, so that the script can execute some commands using the uid of the original user, instead of root. This allows unsafe commands (such as editors and pagers) to be used in a non-root mode inside a super script. For example, an operator with permission to modify a certain protected_file could use a super command that simply does: cp protected_file temp_file setuid $ORIG_USER ${EDITOR:-/bin/vi} temp_file cp temp_file protected_file (Note: don't use this example directly. If the temp_file can somehow be replaced by another user, as might be the case if it's kept in a temporary directory, there will be a race condition in the time between editing the temporary file and copying it back to the protected file.) AUTHOR
Will Deich local SETUID(1)