Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking my wireless usb adapter connect to net but the signal is very weak Post 302396373 by Corona688 on Thursday 18th of February 2010 09:11:27 AM
Old 02-18-2010
Okay, you even have an IP address so you seem to be able to talk to the router... How well we don't know yet.

It could potentially be an MTU problem. Try 'ifconfig wlan0 mtu 1364' and see if that helps.

If not, post the output of 'ping -c 4 192.168.1.1' so we can see how well your system can talk to the router. Then 'ping -c 4 66.82.4.8' to see if you can actually get through to the internet at all with it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

strengthening wireless signal

How can I strengthen a 2.4 GHZ 802.11b wireless signal? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
4 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

A recommended linux wireless usb adaptor

Hi guys, I've been a linux user for a day now and we are planning of moving from windows to gentoo. unfortunately were having a heck of a trouble in configuring linksys wusb adaptor on our linux box. we got so tired of looking for any linux drivers or ndiswrapper blah for these critters but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 3rr0r_3rr0r
1 Replies

3. Linux

wireless USB

got a wireless usb network card. how can i make it work under redhat9?. it does not come with linux driver. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: GJ2
0 Replies

4. Solaris

USB to Serial Adapter connection

Hi Community, I'm working on Sun Server V490 with my PC (with OS Vista). I'm using a USB to Serial Adapter to connect to Server directly. I've this problem, I'm connecting to Server with Putty client with this settings: boud rate 9600, 8 bit, 0 parity, 0 flow control, but after to have typed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunb3
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Detecting wirelss USB Adapter

Hi, i try to plug in my USB wireless adapter to my sun solaris server. However, it cannot detect it. How do i set it so that it can detect it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lkyow
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Help reqd in installing wireless usb on fed 14

Hello all, I am fed up on trying to install my newly purchased usb wireless antenna to my fedora14 machine; so I seek help of all you linux masterminds out there. It worked well in my Win XP. Please help me in setting up it to my Fedora. . Details follows: The device model is : Aztech... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsabarinath
5 Replies

7. Hardware

Configuring a D-Link DWA-130 Wireless Adapter

How do I configure my wireless adapter to access the internet? I am running PCLinuxOS 2010. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryan352333
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

Cannot configure TL-WN727N wireless usb in centos 6.2

hi everybody, iam using 32 bit centos 6.2 on my machine. i have purchase TP-LINK, TL-WN727N wireless usb, but i was not able to install on my desktop. i was not able to find drivers for centos 6.2 official site of TPLINK. $ uname -a Linux workstation 2.6.32-220.el6.i686 #1 SMP Tue Dec 6... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: paruhang
0 Replies

9. Hardware

Problematic RTL8188EE Wireless Network Adapter

Good Day All, There are numerous results when searching google on this issue, however, none seem to have a solution. I have read until my eyes bleed and banged my head on the table more than once! :) I am hoping to resolve this issue -- or at least have a decent workaround. It is a real... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: RogerBaran
13 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Could not connect to wireless network

I run lubuntu from usb (try lubuntu, it's not install on my pc ) And i try to connect to network I see the network name And i put the pass But it's not connect.. I tried to open hot spot on my phone and try to connect and it's not connect I have edumax n150 Try to install new driver -... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: popcoern
0 Replies
IWSPY(8)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  IWSPY(8)

NAME
iwspy - Get wireless statistics from specific nodes SYNOPSIS
iwspy [interface] iwspy interface [+] DNSNAME | IPADDR | HWADDR [...] iwspy interface off iwspy interface setthr low high iwspy interface getthr DESCRIPTION
Iwspy is used to set a list of addresses to monitor in a wireless network interface and to read back quality of link information for each of those. This information is the same as the one available in /proc/net/wireless : quality of the link, signal strength and noise level. This information is updated each time a new packet is received, so each address of the list adds some overhead in the driver. Note that this functionality works only for nodes part of the current wireless cell, you can not monitor Access Points you are not associ- ated with (you can use Scanning for that) and nodes in other cells. In Managed mode, in most case packets are relayed by the Access Point, in this case you will get the signal strength of the Access Point. For those reasons this functionality is mostly useful in Ad-Hoc and Mas- ter mode. PARAMETERS
You may set any number of addresses up to 8. DNSNAME | IPADDR Set an IP address, or in some cases a DNS name (using the name resolver). As the hardware works with hardware addresses, iwspy will translate this IP address through ARP. In some case, this address might not be in the ARP cache and iwspy will fail. In those case, ping(8) this name/address and retry. HWADDR Set a hardware (MAC) address (this address is not translated & checked like the IP one). The address must contain a colon (:) to be recognised as a hardware address. + Add the new set of addresses at the end of the current list instead of replacing it. The address list is unique for each device, so each user should use this option to avoid conflicts. off Remove the current list of addresses and disable the spy functionality setthr Set the low and high signal strength threshold for the iwspy event (for drivers that support it). Every time the signal strength for any of the address monitored with iwspy goes lower than the low threshold or goes higher than the high threshold, a Wireless Event will be generated. This can be used to monitor link outages without having to run iwspy periodically. getthr Retrieve the current low and high signal strength threshold for the iwspy event. FILES
/proc/net/wireless SEE ALSO
iwconfig(8), iwlist(8), iwevent(8), iwpriv(8), wireless(7). net-tools 31 October 1996 IWSPY(8)