Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Fgrep or grep or awk help - scanning for delimiters. Post 302396321 by Tbox on Thursday 18th of February 2010 07:10:43 AM
Old 02-18-2010
Both wonderful replies. Both work very well. Thank you so much!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need help with fgrep or grep

How can I do an and condition with fgrep. I want to do: ps -ef | fgrep -f searchvalues > tempmail.file mailx -s "Email Subject" email@domain.com < tempmail.file The search values file contains: opt/bea.*java.*80 mysqld What I want is to find things that contain: mysqld OR... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy
7 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Difference grep, egrep and fgrep

Hi All, Can anyone please explain me the difference between grep, egrep and fgrep with examples. I am new to unix environment.. Your help is highly appreciated. Regards, ravi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravind27
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Vs Fgrep

Hi All, I have 2 files new.txt and old.txt cat new.txt sku1|v1|v2|v3 sku2|v11|v22|v33 sku3|v11|v22|v33 cat old.txt sku1|vx1|vx2|vx3 sku2|vx11|vx22|vx33 sku3|v11|v22|v33 The key column in both files are first column itself. I want to get records in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: morbid_angel
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep/fgrep/egrep for a very large matrix

All, I have a problem with grep/fgrep/egrep. Basically I am building a 200 times 200 correlation matrix. The entries of this matrix need to be retrieved from another very large matrix (~100G). I tried to use the grep/fgrep/egrep to locate each entry and put them into one file. It looks very... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: realwindfly
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two delimiters with AWK

Hello, this thread is more about scripting style than a specific issue. I've to grep from a output some lines and from them obtain a specific entry delimited by < and >. This is my way : 1) grep -i user list | awk '{FS="<";print $NF}' | sed -e 's/>//g' 2) grep -i user list | cut -d","... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delimiters in awk

Line from input file a : b : c " d " e " f : g : h " i " j " k " l output k b a Its taking 7th word when " is the delimiter, 2nd and 1st word when : is the delimiter and returning all in one line.... I am on solaris Thanks..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use two delimiters in awk

I have a file having lines like: 14: <a="b" val="c"/> 18: <a="x" val="d"/> 54: <a="b" val="c"/> 58: <a="x" val="e"/> I need to create a file with output: 14 d 54 e So basically, for every odd line I need 1st word if delimiter is ':' and for every even... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fgrep/grep -f and literal strings

I have a file like this: cat file name = server jobname = 1010 snapshot_name = funky_Win2k12_20140213210409 I'm trying to use grep to isolate that first line (name = server), but grep -f "name = " file as well as fgrep "name = " file returns all 3 lines. How do I return... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ampsys
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep lines only with 3 delimiters

Hi All, my file has following Data 04:38:34 02:03 24:40 02:09:58 09:13 03:04:11 02:09:58 35:00 I want to display only lines with 3 fields. ie.. 04:38:34 02:09:58 03:04:11 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arunselvan
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delimiters with awk?

I have a file which is separated by delimiter "|", but the prob is one of my column do contain delimiter as description so how can i differentiate it? PS : the delmiter does have backslash coming before it, if occurring in column Annual|Beleagured|Desc|Denver... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
2 Replies
COOKIETOOL(6)							   Games Manual 						     COOKIETOOL(6)

NAME
cdbsplit - program to operate cookie (fortune) database SYNOPSIS
cdbsplit [options] <cookie-database> <hitfile> DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the cdbsplit command. This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. Instead, it has some plain text documentation, see below. cdbsplit is a program that can be used to operate cookie database in various formats, the default is standard fortune(6) format, i.e. list of 'cookies' delimited with line containing a single percent ('%') char . With 'cdbsplit' you can split cookie database, or extract parts of it depending on various criteria. OPTIONS
A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, see the documentation in /usr/share/doc/cookietool directory. NOTE, that default behaviour is to overwrite existing database with its reduced version, so the cookies are MOVED to hitfile. The hitfile is never overwritten, but may be appended to. [nothing] Shows summary of options. -c case-sensitive comparisons (for both keywords and groups) -d[0-3] how fussy about word delimiters? (default: 2) -k<keyword> optional keyword -K<keyword> mandatory keyword (use both of them to form boolean expressions) -l<min_lines> minimal cookie length (in lines) -L<max_lines> maximal cookie length (in lines) -w<chars> minimal line width (in chars) -W<chars> maximal line width (in chars) -n<min_number> start at cookie <min_number> -N<max_number> stop after <max_number> cookie -m<chars> find groups of cookies starting with <n> matching characters (database must be sorted for this to make sense!) -x extract only, don't modify <cookie-database> -a append, don't overwrite <hitfile> if such a filename exists -f[0-3] input file format - -f3: cookies are separated by '%%' lines; -f2: cookies are separated by '%' lines (DEFAULT); -f1: each line is a cookie; -f0: each word is a cookie. SEE ALSO
cookietool(6), cdbdiff(6) BUGS
None known. AUTHOR
Upstream author and Aminet cookietool.lha package with AmigaOS binaries uploader is Wilhelm Noeker, <wnoeker@t-online.de>. Unix manpages (including this one) and makefile are maintained by Miros/law L. Baran <baran@debian.org>. This manual page uses many excerpts from the original README file. May 19, 2001 COOKIETOOL(6)