Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX alternative for egrep -o on HP-UX Post 302396277 by vostro on Thursday 18th of February 2010 05:32:30 AM
Old 02-18-2010
absolutely brilliant!!
Thank you very much. Smilie
I searched 2 days for something like this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk (or an alternative)

Hi, I'm trying to echo a variable that has values separated by colons, putting each value on a new line. So as an example, a variable I might have would contain: My name is Earl:My name is Dorothy:My name is Bernard: And I want the output: My name is Earl My name is Dorothy My name... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaeltravisuk
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Egrep cheat sheet anywhere? Looking for meaning of egrep -c

Hi I've been searching google and have not found what egrep -c means. Does anyone know where I can get a cheat sheet or what that -c means? thanks, Linda (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: leelm
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with while loop or any other alternative?

i=1 while do mm=02 dd=03 yy=2008 echo "$mm$dd$yy" i=$(( i+1)) echo "$i" done whenever i execute the script above i will get the error below: syntax error at line 30: `i=$' unexpected (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: filthymonk
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

du alternative in perl

I have a perl script that just does a `du -sk -x` and formats it to look groovy ( the argument can be a directory but usually is like /usr/local/* ) #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; my $sizes = `du -x -sk @ARGV | sort -n`; my $total = 0; print "MegaBytes Name\n"; for(split... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: insania
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search ")" with egrep - egrep: syntax error

Hi Guys, we have a shell script which basically query the Database which retrieves huge data and use the data with "egrep" . Now there is some data which contains characters like "abc)" and the same is used like below : "egrep (.+\|GDPRAB16\|GDPR/11702 96 abc)\|$ temp.txt" now while... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagarjani
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative for wc -l

Hi techies .. This is my first posting hr .. Am facing a serious performance problem in counting the number of lines in the file. The input files i get will be in some 10 to 15 Gb of size or even sometimes more ..and I will load it to db I have used wc -l to confirm whether the loader... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh_2383
14 Replies

7. Solaris

vi alternative

Is there any other editor, installed by 'default' in Sparc Solaris10, besides vi? I'd like to avoid installing anything new. If not, how to make vi more user-friendly? thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for an alternative to Tcl

I've created quite a collection of tcl scripts which have buttons, radio buttons, check boxes, text fields, etc. These tcl scripts in turn call and execute several hundred sh, csh, bash, perl scripts and pass in the args based on the gui selections on the same and other redhat machines. We're... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scottwevans
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help -- any alternative to expect ?

Doing some automation to automate some server tasks in Linux through shell scripting. In the script I tried to call a expect script to log into another server and execute a command. Please note: passwordless SSH is not possible hence am trying some User-interactive commands like Expect to send... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alldbest
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Tips/advise on alternative to doing egrep -v

Hi all, At the moment, I am doing the following to exclude some exception strings. The more I need to exclude, the longer the string becomes and it has become error prone as I edit the list manually. $ cat output.txt host=192.168.1.99 user=mickey host=192.168.1.99 user=mickey... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
4 Replies
NNGOBACK(1)						      General Commands Manual						       NNGOBACK(1)

NAME
nngoback - make news articles unread on a day-by-day basis (nn) SYNOPSIS
nngoback [ -NQvi ] [-d] days [ group ]... DESCRIPTION
nngoback will rewind the .newsrc record file of nn(1) one or more days. It can be used to rewind all groups, or only a specified set of groups. In other words, nngoback can mark news articles which have arrived on the system during the last days days unread. Only subscribed groups that occur in the current presentation sequence are rewound. That means that if no group arguments are specified, all groups occurring in the sequence defined in the init file will be rewound. Otherwise, only the groups specified on the argument line will be rewound. When a group is rewound, the information about selections, partially read digests etc. are discarded. It will print notifications about this unless the -Q (quiet) option is used. If the -i (interactive) option is specified, nngoback will report for each how many articles can be marked unread, and ask for confirmation before going back in that group. If the -v (verbose) option is specified, nngoback will report how many articles are marked unread. If the -N (no-update) option is specified, nngoback will perform the entire goback operation, but not update the .newsrc file. If you are not up-to-date with your news reading, you can also use nngoback to catch up to only have the last few days of news waiting to be read in the following way: nn -a0 nngoback 3 The nn command will mark all articles in all groups as read (answer all to the catch-up question.) The following nngoback will then make the last three days of news unread again. Examples: nngoback 0 Mark the articles which have arrived today as unread. nngoback 1 Mark the articles which have arrived yesterday and today as unread. nngoback 6 Mark the articles which have arrived during the last week as unread. You cannot go more than 14 days back with nngoback. (You can change this limit as described below.) THE BACK_ACT DAEMON It is a prerequisite for the use of nngoback that the script back_act is executed at an appropriate time once (and only once) every day. Preferably this is done by cron right before the bacth of news for `today' is received. back_act will maintain copies of the active file for the last 14 days. Optionally, the back_act program accepts a single numerical argument specifying how many copies of the active file it should maintain. This is useful if news is expired after 7 days, in which case keeping more than 7 days of active file copies is wasteful. FILES
~/.newsrc The record of read articles. ~/.newsrc.goback The original rc file before goback. $db/active.N The N days `old' active file. $master/back_act Script run by cron to maintain old active files. SEE ALSO
nn(1), nncheck(1), nngrab(1), nngrep(1), nnpost(1), nntidy(1) nnadmin(1M), nnusage(1M), nnmaster(8) NOTES
nngoback does not check the age of the `old' active files; it will blindly believe that active.0 was created today, and that active.7 is really seven days old! Therefore, the back_act script should be run once and only once every day for nngoback to work properly. The days are counted relative to the time the active files were copied. AUTHOR
Kim F. Storm, Texas Instruments A/S, Denmark E-mail: storm@texas.dk 4th Berkeley Distribution Release 6.6 NNGOBACK(1)