Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Slackware Compile Leanest Slackware Kernel Post 302396076 by Corona688 on Wednesday 17th of February 2010 03:53:26 PM
Old 02-17-2010
Cut out all the modules/drivers you don't need and you'll have a pretty close to minimal 2.6.x kernel.

The smallest kernel you can get is two megs and change, so there's no point obsessing; you won't make it significantly smaller or measurably faster. Besides, some "fluff" you can get rid of are things you actually want. Trust me, you'll be kicking yourself if you leave out /proc/config.gz support.

Last edited by Corona688; 02-17-2010 at 05:08 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

compile a new kernel in RHEL 5

Hi all, I need some help in compiling a new kernel. I am using RHEL 5 with kernel version 2.6.18. I have downloaded a kernel from link http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.20.6.tar.bz2 1. cd /usr/src 2. wget -c http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.20.tar.bz2 3.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vikas027
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to compile linux kernel on redhat

Hello, Please let me know how to compile a linux kernel on redhat. I am relatively new in this area so please be a little patient with me. Here is the file I was consulting with the following details: Compiling the Linux Kernel on Redhat 7.1 This page describes how to install... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhattbonny
2 Replies

3. Linux

Compile new kernel in Fedora 5

Hi All, I try to compile new kernel in FC5. New kernel version - 2.6.20.21 Operating System - Fedora 5 I have followed these steps, make menuconfig make make modules make modules_install make install Then i have changed the grub.cong and reboot the system with new kernel. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: viveksnv
0 Replies

4. Debian

compile kernel with OFED

Hello Friends, I know how to compile the kernel . But I don't know how to compile the kernel with OFED. Can any one assist me on that. Or can anyone send me the link. Thank you. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
0 Replies

5. Linux

kernel compile

Dear experts, How can compile the kernel as application mode? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaxon
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compile most recent kernel on older distro ?

Debian lenny uses the 2.6.26 kernel by default. Can I compile the most recent kernel from kernel.org and use it instead ? Will the new kernel be incompatible with other installed softwares ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cyler
1 Replies

7. Linux

Howto compile my own module into the kernel

Hi there, I'm currently writing a program/module which makes use of the Linux Security Modules (LSM), which provide hooks for some security . The bad thing about it is: The function to set the hook to the LSM is not exported. That means, I can't just write a loadable kernel module, but have to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: disaster
3 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Kernel compile error

Hi I'm compiling a real-time kernel in linux, but after I type make bzImage things end with this: (Things going well doing CC and things).... CC arch/x86/kernel/kgdb.o CC arch/x86/kernel/vm86_32.o CC arch/x86/kernel/early_printk.o CC arch/x86/kernel/ipipe.o... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdop
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can i get UNIX kernel and compile it like Linux ?

I am not a newbie to Linux, i have been using Linux as my desktop for 4 years, but i am just an end user to Linux, no advanced knowledge to it. I knew that, i can download generic linux kernel and compile it by myself, but how about Unix? how can i get an Unix kernel and compile it ? or no this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wong.sie.ung
5 Replies

10. Slackware

Help with kernel panic - not syncing slackware 13.0

Hi, first of all I'm 110% newbie, sorry for any mistake if I made it. In my country there are no normal or active linux forums, so i found this forum. Ok, that's for begining, but not for may real problem. --------------------------------------------------- I am system administrator... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElvijsL
4 Replies
YAP(1)							      General Commands Manual							    YAP(1)

NAME
yap - prolog interpreter and compiler SYNOPSIS
yap [options] filename DESCRIPTION
yap is a prolog interpreter and compiler. In its basic form, yap starts an interactive Prolog interpreter. When restoring a saved state, yap will allocate the same amount of memory as that in use when the state was saved, unless a different amount is specified by flags in the command line. By default, yap restores the file startup from the current directory or from the yap library. See the yap manual for how to use yap for writing Prolog scripts. OPTIONS
-? Print a short error message. -s n Allocate n K bytes for local and global stacks. -h n Allocate n K bytes for heap and auxiliary stacks -t n Allocate n K bytes for the trail stack -l yap-file Compile the Prolog file yap-file before entering the top-level. -L yap-file Compile the Prolog file yap-file and then halt. This option is useful for implementing scripts. -g goal run the goal goal before top-level. The goal is converted from an atom to a Prolog term. -z goal run the goal goal as top-level. The goal is converted from an atom to a Prolog term. -b boot-file Boot code is in Prolog file boot-file. The filename must define the predicate '$live'/0. -c ip-host port Connect standard streams to host ip-host at port port. filename Restore state saved in the given file. -- Separator for arguments to Prolog code. These arguments are visible through the unix/1 built-in. ENVIRONMENT
YAPBINDIR Yap usually boots from a saved state. The saved state will use the default installation directory to search for the YAP binary unless you define the environment variable YAPBINDIR. YAPLIBDIR Yap always tries to find saved states from the current directory first. If it cannot it will use the environment variable YAPLIBDIR, if defined, or search the default library directory. YAPSHAREDIR Yap will try to find library files from the YAPSHAREDIR/library directory. SEE ALSO
The YAP manual is on a debian system available through the info system (command info yap), and as a html document through the debian help system. AUTHOR
Yap was written by R. Lopes, L.Damas, V. Santos Costa. This manual page was compiled by Ralf Treinen <treinen@debian.org> from the Yap manual for the Debian project (but may be used by others). COPYRIGHT
Since this manpage is derived from the yap manual it is subject to the licence of the yap manual: Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of this manual provided the copyright notice and this permission notice are preserved on all copies. Permission is granted to copy and distribute modified versions of this manual under the conditions for verbatim copying, provided that the entire resulting derived work is distributed under the terms of a permission notice identical to this one. Permission is granted to copy and distribute translations of this manual into another language, under the above conditions for modified versions. December 23, 2007 YAP(1)