Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl Getopt::Long question - stopping multiple args Post 302395969 by rethink on Wednesday 17th of February 2010 11:12:10 AM
Old 02-17-2010
Sorry Pludi, i think you may have misunderstood my problem, issuing multiple --surnames is not really the problem, its when they issue multiple arguments to the same --surname option

using the exact script you posted above, i issued

Code:
 # ./name.pl --firstname john --surname smith jones
firstname is set to  - john
surname is set to  - smith

wjen we print the array at the bottom of the script, the second argument is not printed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

question about getopt()

I'm using getopt() to get command line options.One the optons accepts and argument.The argument is and offset.I was wondering how can I scecify that it's argument is of the type off_t.I've something like this "offset=(off_t)optarg" and it don't work. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: angelfly
1 Replies

2. AIX

Stopping multiple process on AIX

I'm trying to update a shared library (*.so) in our AIX machine. However, when I tried to delete the old *.so file, I get this error -> Cannot open or remove a file containing a running program. Based on the information I gather from the net, shared libraries are not unloaded (the file remains... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: soulfactory2002
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopt in perl

Hi, I have a perl script with two functions say func a and func b. sub a { ----------- --------- } sub b { --------- --------- } I want to use this function on command line as we can do in shell script using getopt. My motto here is to run the script like this ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using getopt for both short and long options

Hi , I am using getopt for both short and long options as below SHORTOPTS="a:c" LONGOPTS="alpha:,charlie" OPTS=$(getopt -o $SHORTOPTS --longoptions $LONGOPTS -n "$progname" -- "$@") eval set -- "$OPTS" while ; do case $1 in -a|--alpha) echo "-a or --alpha... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: padmisri
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi , I am using getopt for both short and long options as below SHORTOPTS="a:c" LONGOPTS="alpha:,charlie" OPTS=$(getopt -o $SHORTOPTS --longoptions $LONGOPTS -n "$progname" -- "$@") eval set -- "$OPTS" while ; do case $1 in -a|--alpha) echo "-a or --alpha... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi , I am using getopt for both short and long options as below SHORTOPTS="a:c" LONGOPTS="alpha:,charlie" OPTS=$(getopt -o $SHORTOPTS --longoptions $LONGOPTS -n "$progname" -- "$@") eval set -- "$OPTS" while ; do case $1 in -a|--alpha) echo "-a or --alpha... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

7. Programming

Perl Getopt::Long

Hi All I am using Getopt::Long in perl and i am trying to have it so if i dont supply a switch after the progname is will do a defult option i have the following GetOptions($OPT, 'debug|d', 'mail|m', ) or info(); i want it run the debug if it is not given a switch ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ab52
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl :: Getopt::Long in the program

While going through some of the perl script... I had found the below line.. use Getopt::Long; my $GetOptionsReturnCode = GetOptions ( '<>' => sub { push(@unknownArg, @_); }, 'h|help' => sub { &helpMessage(); exit 0; }, ); Could anyone please explain the above one ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store args passed in array but not the first 2 args

Store args passed in array but not the first 2 args. # bash declare -a arr=("$@") s=$(IFS=, eval 'echo "${arr}"') echo "$s" output: sh array.sh 1 2 3 4 5 6 1,2,3,4,5,6 Desired output: sh array.sh 1 2 3 4 5 6 3,4,5,6 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iaav
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Question about getopts optional argument [args...]

There are many places where I can see the syntax description for optargs, which, usually boils down to this: getopts OPTSTRING VARNAME where: OPTSTRING tells getopts which options to expect and where to expect arguments VARNAME tells getopts which shell-variable to use for option reporting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharkura
2 Replies
Getopt::Long::Descriptive::Usage(3)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		       Getopt::Long::Descriptive::Usage(3)

NAME
Getopt::Long::Descriptive::Usage - the usage description for GLD VERSION
version 0.092 SYNOPSIS
use Getopt::Long::Descriptive; my ($opt, $usage) = describe_options( ... ); $usage->text; # complete usage message $usage->die; # die with usage message DESCRIPTION
This document only describes the methods of the Usage object. For information on how to use Getopt::Long::Descriptive, consult its documentation. METHODS
new my $usage = Getopt::Long::Descriptive::Usage->new(\%arg); You really don't need to call this. GLD will do it for you. Valid arguments are: options - an arrayref of options leader_text - the text that leads the usage; this may go away! text This returns the full text of the usage message. leader_text This returns the text that comes at the beginning of the usage message. option_text This returns the text describing the available options. warn This warns with the usage message. die This throws the usage message as an exception. $usage_obj->die(\%arg); Some arguments can be provided pre_text - text to be prepended to the usage message post_text - text to be appended to the usage message The "pre_text" and "post_text" arguments are concatenated with the usage message with no line breaks, so supply this if you need them. AUTHORS
o Hans Dieter Pearcey <hdp@cpan.org> o Ricardo Signes <rjbs@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is copyright (c) 2005 by Hans Dieter Pearcey. This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language system itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-07-31 Getopt::Long::Descriptive::Usage(3)