Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl Getopt::Long question - stopping multiple args Post 302395947 by rethink on Wednesday 17th of February 2010 10:11:18 AM
Old 02-17-2010
Thanks Pludi, Ive been playing around and i wonder if you could help me clarify something. I changed the relevant lines (bolded in red below) to make surname an array (which looks like it creates a reference to the array). but it still seems to print only the one argument ?

Am i missing something here? Will a scalar reference to an array always only return the first object in an array ? apologies if ive done something dumb here

Code:
#!/bin/perl
use strict;
use Getopt::Long;

my $firstname = "";
my $surname = "";
my $help = "";

GetOptions (
                "firstname=s"           => \$firstname,
                "surname=s@"             => \$surname,
                "help!"                 => \$help,

) or die "Incorrect usage.\n";

if( $help )
{
        print "Common on, it's really not that hard.\n";
} else {

print "firstname is set to  - @$firstname\n";
        print "surname is set to  - $surname\n";

}

As you can see its still the same

Code:
# ./name.pl --firstname John --surname smith jones    
firstname is set to  - John
surname is set to  - smith

I tried it using this as well
Code:
"surname=s"             => \@surname

print "surname is set to  - @surname\n";

with the same output, so maybe its not just an issue with references

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

question about getopt()

I'm using getopt() to get command line options.One the optons accepts and argument.The argument is and offset.I was wondering how can I scecify that it's argument is of the type off_t.I've something like this "offset=(off_t)optarg" and it don't work. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: angelfly
1 Replies

2. AIX

Stopping multiple process on AIX

I'm trying to update a shared library (*.so) in our AIX machine. However, when I tried to delete the old *.so file, I get this error -> Cannot open or remove a file containing a running program. Based on the information I gather from the net, shared libraries are not unloaded (the file remains... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: soulfactory2002
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopt in perl

Hi, I have a perl script with two functions say func a and func b. sub a { ----------- --------- } sub b { --------- --------- } I want to use this function on command line as we can do in shell script using getopt. My motto here is to run the script like this ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using getopt for both short and long options

Hi , I am using getopt for both short and long options as below SHORTOPTS="a:c" LONGOPTS="alpha:,charlie" OPTS=$(getopt -o $SHORTOPTS --longoptions $LONGOPTS -n "$progname" -- "$@") eval set -- "$OPTS" while ; do case $1 in -a|--alpha) echo "-a or --alpha... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: padmisri
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi , I am using getopt for both short and long options as below SHORTOPTS="a:c" LONGOPTS="alpha:,charlie" OPTS=$(getopt -o $SHORTOPTS --longoptions $LONGOPTS -n "$progname" -- "$@") eval set -- "$OPTS" while ; do case $1 in -a|--alpha) echo "-a or --alpha... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi , I am using getopt for both short and long options as below SHORTOPTS="a:c" LONGOPTS="alpha:,charlie" OPTS=$(getopt -o $SHORTOPTS --longoptions $LONGOPTS -n "$progname" -- "$@") eval set -- "$OPTS" while ; do case $1 in -a|--alpha) echo "-a or --alpha... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

7. Programming

Perl Getopt::Long

Hi All I am using Getopt::Long in perl and i am trying to have it so if i dont supply a switch after the progname is will do a defult option i have the following GetOptions($OPT, 'debug|d', 'mail|m', ) or info(); i want it run the debug if it is not given a switch ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ab52
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl :: Getopt::Long in the program

While going through some of the perl script... I had found the below line.. use Getopt::Long; my $GetOptionsReturnCode = GetOptions ( '<>' => sub { push(@unknownArg, @_); }, 'h|help' => sub { &helpMessage(); exit 0; }, ); Could anyone please explain the above one ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store args passed in array but not the first 2 args

Store args passed in array but not the first 2 args. # bash declare -a arr=("$@") s=$(IFS=, eval 'echo "${arr}"') echo "$s" output: sh array.sh 1 2 3 4 5 6 1,2,3,4,5,6 Desired output: sh array.sh 1 2 3 4 5 6 3,4,5,6 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iaav
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Question about getopts optional argument [args...]

There are many places where I can see the syntax description for optargs, which, usually boils down to this: getopts OPTSTRING VARNAME where: OPTSTRING tells getopts which options to expect and where to expect arguments VARNAME tells getopts which shell-variable to use for option reporting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharkura
2 Replies
GRUB-RENDER-LABEL(1)                                               User Commands                                              GRUB-RENDER-LABEL(1)

NAME
grub-render-label - generate a .disk_label for Apple Macs. SYNOPSIS
grub-render-label [OPTION...] [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
Render Apple .disk_label. -b, --bgcolor=COLOR use COLOR for background -c, --color=COLOR use COLOR for text -f, --font=FILE use FILE as font (PF2). -i, --input=FILE read text from FILE. -o, --output=FILE set output filename. Default is STDOUT -t, --text=STRING set the label to render -v, --verbose print verbose messages. -?, --help give this help list --usage give a short usage message -V, --version print program version Mandatory or optional arguments to long options are also mandatory or optional for any corresponding short options. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for grub-render-label is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and grub-render-label programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub-render-label should give you access to the complete manual. grub-render-label (GRUB) 2.02-2ubuntu8.3 July 2018 GRUB-RENDER-LABEL(1)