Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: dd - imaging drives. Oh boy!
Operating Systems Solaris dd - imaging drives. Oh boy! Post 302395910 by adelsin on Wednesday 17th of February 2010 09:19:53 AM
Old 02-17-2010
dd - imaging drives. Oh boy!

Hello,

Yes, it's me again. Running around getting this done! My current problem is I'm trying to image one drive 0 (/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0) to drive 1 (/dev/dsk/c1t1d0s0). I know that drive1 came out of a Sun Server and it is a Sun drive. Solaris 10 recognized drive1 after the devfsadm command. The commands "dd" and "mount" both react the same.

Code:
# mount /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s0 /a
mount: I/O error
mount: Cannot mount /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s0

# dd if=/dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0 bs=1024 of=/dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0
dd: /dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0: open: I/O error

I attempted to prepare a list of answers to possible questions:

# echo | format
Searching for disks...done

AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
       0. c1t0d0 <SUN72G cyl 14087 alt 2 hd 24 sec 424>
          /pci@1c,600000/scsi@2/sd@0,0
       1. c1t1d0 <SUN72G cyl 14087 alt 2 hd 24 sec 424>
          /pci@1c,600000/scsi@2/sd@1,0
Specify disk (enter its number): Specify disk (enter its number):

# df -k | grep c1t1d0
#

AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
       0. c1t0d0 <SUN72G cyl 14087 alt 2 hd 24 sec 424>
          /pci@1c,600000/scsi@2/sd@0,0
       1. c1t1d0 <SUN72G cyl 14087 alt 2 hd 24 sec 424>
          /pci@1c,600000/scsi@2/sd@1,0
Specify disk (enter its number): 1
selecting c1t1d0
[disk formatted]

FORMAT MENU:
        disk       - select a disk
        type       - select (define) a disk type
        partition  - select (define) a partition table
        current    - describe the current disk
        format     - format and analyze the disk
        repair     - repair a defective sector
        label      - write label to the disk
        analyze    - surface analysis
        defect     - defect list management
        backup     - search for backup labels
        verify     - read and display labels
        save       - save new disk/partition definitions
        inquiry    - show vendor, product and revision
        volname    - set 8-character volume name
        !<cmd>     - execute <cmd>, then return
        quit
format> format> label
Ready to label disk, continue? y
format> save
Saving new disk and partition definitions
Enter file name["./format.dat"]:
format> quit

Thank you in advance. I love the community here. Smilie

Last edited by adelsin; 02-24-2010 at 04:03 AM.. Reason: code tags, please...

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix Imaging for Redundancy

I'm trying to come up with an "imaging" type solution (a.k.a. Norton Ghost, Imagecast) with standard unix utils. I'd like to just image one of our FreeBSD servers so I can use the hot swap HD's. If one fails, I could slide in an exact duplicate HD and the server would be back up. I've tried just... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mstevenson
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how floppy disks, CDs and flash drives (pen drives) are accessed in UNIX

hi how floppy disks, CDs and flash drives (pen drives) are accessed in UNIX? thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nokia1100
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

Imaging solution?

Can anyone recommend an imaging solution for RedHat Linux that would allow base imaging with the ability to do incremental updates and encryption? I know Acronis has a version available, but it is rather pricey. Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: here2learn
0 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Boy, is the shell powerful.

Reading replies to questions, as an amateur, I have learnt a lot from you pros on here. The shell in any of its guises is serioulsy poweful. With so many transient and resident commands at one's disposal is there anything, non-GUI, that cannot be done inside a default shell and terminal? ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
12 Replies
mount_pcfs(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    mount_pcfs(1M)

NAME
mount_pcfs - mount pcfs file systems SYNOPSIS
mount -F pcfs [generic_options] [-o FSType-specific_options] special | mount_point mount -F pcfs [generic_options] [-o FSType-specific_options] special mount_point DESCRIPTION
mount attaches an MS-DOS file system (pcfs) to the file system hierarchy at the mount_point, which is the pathname of a directory. If mount_point has any contents prior to the mount operation, these are hidden until the file system is unmounted. If mount is invoked with special or mount_point as the only arguments, mount will search /etc/vfstab to fill in the missing arguments, including the FSType-specific_options; see mount(1M) for more details. The special argument can be one of two special device file types: o A floppy disk, such as /dev/diskette0 or /dev/diskette1. o A DOS logical drive on a hard disk expressed as device-name:logical-drive , where device-name specifies the special block device-file for the whole disk and logical-drive is either a drive letter (c through z) or a drive number (1 through 24). Examples are /dev/dsk/c0t0d0p0:c and /dev/dsk/c0t0d0p0:1. The special device file type must have a formatted MS-DOS file system with either a 12-bit, 16-bit, or 32-bit File Allocation Table. OPTIONS
generic_options See mount(1M) for the list of supported options. -o Specify pcfs file system specific options. The following options are supported: foldcase|nofoldcase Force uppercase characters in filenames to lowercase when reading them from the filesystem. This is for compatibility with the pre- vious behavior of pcfs. The default is nofoldcase. FILES
/etc/mnttab table of mounted file systems /etc/vfstab list of default parameters for each file system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mount(1M), mountall(1M), mount(2), mnttab(4), vfstab(4), attributes(5), pcfs(7FS) NOTES
If the directory on which a file system is to be mounted is a symbolic link, the file system is mounted on the directory to which the sym- bolic link refers, rather than on top of the symbolic link itself. SunOS 5.10 24 Nov 2003 mount_pcfs(1M)