Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with PHP and shell_exec!!! Post 302395631 by Neo on Tuesday 16th of February 2010 01:58:20 PM
Old 02-16-2010
Well, first of all, you will get much faster performance if you use the PHP function cURL() and not get_file_contents().

Here are some sample benchmarks from stackoverflow, file_get_contents VS CURL, what has better performance?

Quote:
I just did some quick benchmarking on this.

Fetching google.com using file_get_contents took (in seconds):

CURL took:

This was using the benchmark class from PHP Optimization – Using A Timer To Benchmark Code And Increase Speed
That's a huge difference.

FWIW, I always use curl() and not get_file_contents().

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

php shell_exec, exec command timeout

HI, Does anybody know if its possible to execute a command through exec, shell exec, system and if the program doesn't terminate in N seconds returns control to PHP ? reg, research3 ---------- Post updated 10-16-09 at 12:20 AM ---------- Previous update was 10-15-09 at 11:03 PM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: research3
1 Replies

2. Programming

Calling macro in shell_exec not working

Hi guys! I really need your help. I have a php code that should convert doc, ppt,etc. to pdf using openoffice. But its not working, and im not sure what the problem is. Here's my php code: define('OOFFICE_LIBRARY', '/usr/lib/openoffice.org/program/'); $convertToPdf = OOFFICE_LIBRARY .... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tweine
5 Replies

3. Web Development

trouble with shell_exec()

If you aren't familiar with LaTeX, don't stress.. it's just a document markup language that I use for creating Math documents. Anyway, if I execute "latex /home/destructo/Desktop/example.tex" inside my command prompt (ubuntu), it will create the desired document... I decided to try to create a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tyrick
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

c binary not being executed with shell_exec()

I have written a c program. And compiled it to make a binary. Now when i try to call this binary from php page, it is not being executed. [ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xerox
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing array variable in shell_exec

Hi all, i wrote a php script in which i passed some values in the array variable using a for loop. I have to pass this array values to a shell script using shell_exec() <?php while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($ansid)) { //$row = mysql_fetch_assoc($ansid); $aid = $row; echo $aid; $i =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidhyaS
2 Replies

6. Web Development

php shell_exec

Hey guys i've recently been getting into php programming and i became thinking was it possible to create a php script that would allow you to run a terminal from the browser page? All i've pretty much got so far is: $var = $_GET; $output = php shell_exec($var); echo $output; ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lordfirex
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

Update php 4.3 RPM to php 5.3.3 php

Dear All, My redhat version is: # cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 4) # # uname -a Linux cotapplication3.cot.com 2.6.9-42.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jul 12 23:32:02 EDT 2006 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux # I want to update my php from: # php... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: monojcool
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sqlplus with shell_exec(); PHP command

Hi, I need to run a PL/SQL Query from a distant oracle server in order to create spool files and send it to my own server, using a php script. I firstly created a SH script called myscript.sh #!/bin/bash echo "This script is working" sqlplus... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgstag
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell_exec is not working

I am trying to execute a command with shell_exec but this command does not work, other commands work <?php $output = shell_exec("tail /var/log/syslog"); echo "<pre>$output</pre>"; ?> (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rodrigo_Bueno
4 Replies
CURL_INIT(3)								 1							      CURL_INIT(3)

curl_init - Initialize a cURL session

SYNOPSIS
resource curl_init NULL ([string $url]) DESCRIPTION
Initializes a new session and return a cURL handle for use with the curl_setopt(3), curl_exec(3), and curl_close(3) functions. PARAMETERS
o $url - If provided, the CURLOPT_URL option will be set to its value. You can manually set this using the curl_setopt(3) function. Note The file protocol is disabled by cURL if open_basedir is set. RETURN VALUES
Returns a cURL handle on success, FALSE on errors. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Initializing a new cURL session and fetching a web page <?php // create a new cURL resource $ch = curl_init(); // set URL and other appropriate options curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, "http://www.example.com/"); curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_HEADER, 0); // grab URL and pass it to the browser curl_exec($ch); // close cURL resource, and free up system resources curl_close($ch); ?> SEE ALSO
curl_close(3), curl_multi_init(3). PHP Documentation Group CURL_INIT(3)