Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help with echo command in reading blank spaces in aix Post 302395587 by alister on Tuesday 16th of February 2010 12:24:36 PM
Old 02-16-2010
You can just set IFS to an empty string:

Code:
IFS=""

That will guarantee that no field splitting is done and that leading/trailing whitespace is not discarded in the process. Choosing some seldom seen character/byte as the value for IFS always incurs the risk that the splitting will occur on that value if it rears its head.

Regards,
alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

howtodelete blank spaces

sry im new to this...another qns.. if i have a line in the normal shell the file is email.scp. it contains a txt file eg hello.txt that contain this infomation. k@hotmail.com j@jotm.com how do i delete away the blank spaces after the k@hotmail.com..i dun wan any blank spaces after the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevercalz
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

blank spaces getting deleted

I have to filter out data from a file based on the value of first three characters of each record I have used the following logic FIN=$LOC/TEST2.TXT FEEDFILE=$LOC/TEST1.TXT while read FDROW do FEEDROW=$FDROW; DTYPE=`echo $FEEDROW |cut -c 1-3` if ; then echo $FEEDROW >> $FIN... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gander_ss
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

string with blank spaces

I have a file that has dates like this: date FINAL_RESULT; 7 date FINAL_RESULT; 2 date FINAL_RESULT; 5 With this command: seira=`cut -f2 -d\; tes.txt` i take the date FINAL RESULTs and i store them on variable seira.then seira look like this: 6 3 8 I want to read seira and make a sum of all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: psalas
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling blank spaces

Hi, I am trying to replace a specific column values in a csv file with double quotes when I am find embedded spaces with in the fields. Example: SNO,NAME,ZIPCODE,RANK,SEX,ADDRESS 1,Robert,74538,12,34, M,Robert Street, NY 2,Sam,07564,13,M,12 Main Ave, CA 3,Kim, Ed,12345,14,M,123D ,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techmoris
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank spaces, tab spaces from file

Hello All, I am trying to remove all tabspaces and all blankspaces from my file using sed & awk, but not getting proper code. Please help me out. My file is like this (<b> means one blank space, <t> means one tab space)- $ cat file NARESH<b><b><b>KUMAR<t><t>PRADHAN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with Blank Spaces

Hi to all. How can I pass to the stat command a file path with blank spaces? And another question, if I use stat command like this: stat / -name "*.sh" -user $user_name -exec stat -c %n%x {} \; How can I get the result with a ":" into the name of the file and the time of the last... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: daniel.gbaena
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read blank spaces

hi i have a file which store some data.the contents of my file is data1:data2 data3:data4 i have a script which read this file correct="$(cat /root/sh | cut -d: -f1)" i used this syntax..please help me which syntax is used to read blank spaces.and then remove it and after that how to read... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhig15
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Removing blank spaces

Hi , I want to go out of vi editor temporarily and execute a command in command prompt and again going back to the editor . Is it possible . Any help on this is really helpful. 1. Need to open vi 2. Temporarily come out and execute a command and go back to vi editor (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove blank spaces

Gents, Please can you help me.. to remove blank spaces :) Input ABSOLUTE , ,FALSE ,1035 ,28 ,669 ,1817.0 ,CORREL BEFORE ,1 ABSOLUTE , ,FALSE ,1035 ,28 ,686 ,1817.0 ,CORREL BEFORE ,1 ABSOLUTE , ,FALSE ,1035 ,28 ,670 ,1819.0 ,CORREL BEFORE ,1 ABSOLUTE , ,FALSE ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete blank spaces and blank lines in a file

Hi Gurus, Somebody can say me how to delete blank spaces and blank lines in a file unix, please. Thank you for advanced. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemoper
10 Replies
WORDEXP(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							WORDEXP(3)

NAME
wordexp, wordfree - perform word expansion like a posix-shell SYNOPSIS
#include <wordexp.h> int wordexp(const char *s, wordexp_t *p, int flags); void wordfree(wordexp_t *p); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): wordexp(), wordfree(): _XOPEN_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
The function wordexp() performs a shell-like expansion of the string s and returns the result in the structure pointed to by p. The data type wordexp_t is a structure that at least has the fields we_wordc, we_wordv, and we_offs. The field we_wordc is a size_t that gives the number of words in the expansion of s. The field we_wordv is a char ** that points to the array of words found. The field we_offs of type size_t is sometimes (depending on flags, see below) used to indicate the number of initial elements in the we_wordv array that should be filled with NULLs. The function wordfree() frees the allocated memory again. More precisely, it does not free its argument, but it frees the array we_wordv and the strings that points to. The string argument Since the expansion is the same as the expansion by the shell (see sh(1)) of the parameters to a command, the string s must not contain characters that would be illegal in shell command parameters. In particular, there must not be any unescaped newline or |, &, ;, <, >, (, ), {, } characters outside a command substitution or parameter substitution context. If the argument s contains a word that starts with an unquoted comment character #, then it is unspecified whether that word and all fol- lowing words are ignored, or the # is treated as a non-comment character. The expansion The expansion done consists of the following stages: tilde expansion (replacing ~user by user's home directory), variable substitution (replacing $FOO by the value of the environment variable FOO), command substitution (replacing $(command) or `command` by the output of command), arithmetic expansion, field splitting, wildcard expansion, quote removal. The result of expansion of special parameters ($@, $*, $#, $?, $-, $$, $!, $0) is unspecified. Field splitting is done using the environment variable $IFS. If it is not set, the field separators are space, tab and newline. The output array The array we_wordv contains the words found, followed by a NULL. The flags argument The flag argument is a bitwise inclusive OR of the following values: WRDE_APPEND Append the words found to the array resulting from a previous call. WRDE_DOOFFS Insert we_offs initial NULLs in the array we_wordv. (These are not counted in the returned we_wordc.) WRDE_NOCMD Don't do command substitution. WRDE_REUSE The argument p resulted from a previous call to wordexp(), and wordfree() was not called. Reuse the allocated storage. WRDE_SHOWERR Normally during command substitution stderr is redirected to /dev/null. This flag specifies that stderr is not to be redirected. WRDE_UNDEF Consider it an error if an undefined shell variable is expanded. RETURN VALUE
In case of success 0 is returned. In case of error one of the following five values is returned. WRDE_BADCHAR Illegal occurrence of newline or one of |, &, ;, <, >, (, ), {, }. WRDE_BADVAL An undefined shell variable was referenced, and the WRDE_UNDEF flag told us to consider this an error. WRDE_CMDSUB Command substitution occurred, and the WRDE_NOCMD flag told us to consider this an error. WRDE_NOSPACE Out of memory. WRDE_SYNTAX Shell syntax error, such as unbalanced parentheses or unmatched quotes. VERSIONS
wordexp() and wordfree() are provided in glibc since version 2.1. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001. EXAMPLE
The output of the following example program is approximately that of "ls [a-c]*.c". #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <wordexp.h> int main(int argc, char **argv) { wordexp_t p; char **w; int i; wordexp("[a-c]*.c", &p, 0); w = p.we_wordv; for (i = 0; i < p.we_wordc; i++) printf("%s ", w[i]); wordfree(&p); exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
fnmatch(3), glob(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2008-07-14 WORDEXP(3)