Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using Pipes and Redirection
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Using Pipes and Redirection Post 302395582 by thegeek on Tuesday 16th of February 2010 12:12:47 PM
Old 02-16-2010
A very simple thing is,

Code:
who | wc -l

If you want to be more clear and right, then

Code:
who | cut -d' ' -f 1 | uniq | wc -l

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

PIPEs and Named PIPEs (FIFO) Buffer size

Hello! How I can increase or decrease predefined pipe buffer size? System FreeBSD 4.9 and RedHat Linux 9.0 Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jus
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cd using pipes

Hi, Can the cd command be invoked using pipes??? My actual question is slightly different. I am trying to run an executable from different folders and the path of these folders are obtained dynamically from the front end. Is there a way in which i can actually run the executable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sinbad
2 Replies

3. Programming

pipes inside

Extremely need to understand some aspects of pipes realization. The main question is in which memory are pipes placed? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: pranki
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use pipes + redirection to create two files?

# this works # creates two.txt (echo one;echo two;echo three;) | ( ( grep two > two.txt ) ) # wamt this to create two files: # two.txt containing "two" and three.txt containing "three" # Both files get created, but three.txt is empty # is there a way to do this? (echo one;echo two;echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tphyahoo
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with pipes in a file

I have to add pipes for particualr number of records in a file. For eg the file has 10 records and i need to add the "|" for records numbers 7 to 10 at particular positons as shown. I need to add pipes in each of these records at positions 9, 11,,21 as like below. Can some body... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Named Pipes

hi, i am working on a script for oracle export, m using a parameter file... i want to compress the dump file that is generated.. in my script following is the code i have written. i am not able to generata .gz file mknod /tmp/exp_tesd1_pipe p gzip -cNf... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saharookiedba
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Possible to combine inline redirection with pipes?

Would like to use a here document in a shell script with sqlplus and pipe the output to sed (etc.) before ultimately redirecting the lot to a file, e.g: # sqlplus -S user/pass <<EOF SELECT * FROM table quit EOF | sed 's///g' > outputfile Have tried various permutations to no avail. Any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cs03dmj
2 Replies

8. Programming

Pipes in C

Hello all, I am trying to learn more about programming Unix pipes in C. I have created a pipe that does od -bc < myfile | head Now, I am trying to create od -bc < myfile | head | wc Here is my code, and I know I might be off, thats why I am here so I can get some clarification. #include... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: petrca
1 Replies

9. Programming

Question on pipes in C

If a code forks 2 childs, what can the values be for the process id's of each of the child? I child pid is supposed to be 0, but what if you fork 2 of them? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipes with the < and >> meanings.

Hey, Well, we're starting scripting next week for my class, and I have my command done, but I don't actually understand what the meaning is, so I was just wondering if someone could "translate" this in to words so that I might be able to do this better... command1 | command2 | command3... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sso
5 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)