Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem using exit(1)
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem using exit(1) Post 302395477 by vbe on Tuesday 16th of February 2010 08:19:57 AM
Old 02-16-2010
Why arent you using the code tags after been warned a few times already?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with exit status

Hi, Consider the output of the following commands: case1) ------- # ifconfig -a | grep "UP" | grep uplink0:1 # echo $? Output is: 0 case2 ------ # ifconfig -a | grep "UP" | grep uplink0:1; echo $? Output is: 1 In case2 we got the exit code as 1, which is the actual exit code.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: diganta
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with exit code when piping

i am writing a script to perform some mysqldumps and gzip them. The problem I am running into is that if the user specifies a database that doesn't exist, the error the mysql engine produces is still piped into gzip, and the exit code returned is 0. If I don't pipe into gzip, an exit code... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bitoffish
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move Command and exit status problem

Hi All, I am using the following code to move files from one folder to another on the remote server: ssh username@server <<EOF cd source_dir find . -type f -name "*.txt" |xargs -n1000 -i{} mv {} dest_dir if then send mail indicating error otherwise echo "success" fi EOF ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: visingha
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move Command and exit status problem

Hi All, I am using the following code to move files from one folder to another on the remote server: ssh username@server <<EOF cd source_dir find . -type f -name "*.txt" |xargs -n1000 -i{} mv {} dest_dir if then send mail indicating error otherwise echo "success" fi EOF ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: visingha
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with exit while using nohup

Hi, I am kinda confused with this, am not sure what is happening i have a script say test.sh ---------- cat myfile | while read line do exit 2 done echo "out of loop" ----------- as it is evident, the exit should cause the script to terminate ,hence producing no output for the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumirmehta
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SubMenu Exit problem!

I basically have a menu driven script in which one of the options from the main menu would open a sub menu, this works fine but i can't seem to be able to exit the sub menu back to the main menu....any ideas? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alendrin
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find exit status problem

Hi All Its strange or i am doing it wrong.When find run successful it return exit status 0.And same if it didn't run successfully it return zero. find /var/www/html -maxdepth 1 -type f -name *.dsadas echo $? 0 find /var/www/html -maxdepth 1 -type f -name *.php... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aliahsan81
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with exit command

Problem with exit command ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi, I am executing script written by other user. I am executing script A.ksh, and A.ksh calls B.ksh. But It is giving error: /home/user/B.ksh: exit: -1: unknown option When I checked... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shreyas
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem in Unix script to exit from Putty

We have a requirement where in the user needs to select a option 4 from the menu and the putty window should be closed.I tried giving exit 0 ;; and this is only exiting from the script menu and showing back the prompt.Is there a way for this. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopalt
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in exit in same shell with echo

Hello All, I am in SunOS usvh3eudv80 5.10. facing problem in my script: #!/bin/bash var1=`date +"%m%d%H%M"%S.zip` echo " Hi your current dir is :---> $(pwd)";echo " Changing to home dir:" cd ~ 2>/dev/null || {echo "Change dir failed ....Quiting...." && exit 2 }; ls -lrt echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
3 Replies
GIT-NAME-REV(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-NAME-REV(1)

NAME
git-name-rev - Find symbolic names for given revs SYNOPSIS
git name-rev [--tags] [--refs=<pattern>] ( --all | --stdin | <commit-ish>... ) DESCRIPTION
Finds symbolic names suitable for human digestion for revisions given in any format parsable by git rev-parse. OPTIONS
--tags Do not use branch names, but only tags to name the commits --refs=<pattern> Only use refs whose names match a given shell pattern. The pattern can be one of branch name, tag name or fully qualified ref name. If given multiple times, use refs whose names match any of the given shell patterns. Use --no-refs to clear any previous ref patterns given. --exclude=<pattern> Do not use any ref whose name matches a given shell pattern. The pattern can be one of branch name, tag name or fully qualified ref name. If given multiple times, a ref will be excluded when it matches any of the given patterns. When used together with --refs, a ref will be used as a match only when it matches at least one --refs pattern and does not match any --exclude patterns. Use --no-exclude to clear the list of exclude patterns. --all List all commits reachable from all refs --stdin Transform stdin by substituting all the 40-character SHA-1 hexes (say $hex) with "$hex ($rev_name)". When used with --name-only, substitute with "$rev_name", omitting $hex altogether. Intended for the scripter's use. --name-only Instead of printing both the SHA-1 and the name, print only the name. If given with --tags the usual tag prefix of "tags/" is also omitted from the name, matching the output of git-describe more closely. --no-undefined Die with error code != 0 when a reference is undefined, instead of printing undefined. --always Show uniquely abbreviated commit object as fallback. EXAMPLE
Given a commit, find out where it is relative to the local refs. Say somebody wrote you about that fantastic commit 33db5f4d9027a10e477ccf054b2c1ab94f74c85a. Of course, you look into the commit, but that only tells you what happened, but not the context. Enter git name-rev: % git name-rev 33db5f4d9027a10e477ccf054b2c1ab94f74c85a 33db5f4d9027a10e477ccf054b2c1ab94f74c85a tags/v0.99~940 Now you are wiser, because you know that it happened 940 revisions before v0.99. Another nice thing you can do is: % git log | git name-rev --stdin GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-NAME-REV(1)