Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Setting shell variables with ":" syntax Post 302395470 by vbe on Tuesday 16th of February 2010 07:54:14 AM
Old 02-16-2010
To give a default value to variable if variable is unset...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No utpmx entry: you must exec "login" from lowest level "shell"

Hi I have installed solaris 10 on an intel machine. Logged in as root. In CDE, i open terminal session, type login alex (normal user account) and password and i get this message No utpmx entry: you must exec "login" from lowest level "shell" :confused: What i want is: open various... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterpan
0 Replies

2. AIX

"too big" and "not enough memory" errors in shell script

Hi, This is odd, however here goes. There are several shell scripts that run in our production environment AIX 595 LPAR m/c, which has sufficient memory 14GB (physical memory) and horsepower 5CPUs. However from time to time we get the following errors in these shell scripts. The time when these... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command Character size limit in the "sh" and "bourne" shell

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roshan1286
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi!!.. I would like to know what is maximum character size for a command in the "sh" or "bourne" shell? Thanks in advance.. Roshan. (1 Reply)
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about special variables: "-" and "$_"

both ksh/bash support this 2 special variables, Is there any document for reference? 1) "-" is $OLDPWD 2) "$_" is last argument of previous command. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect Script - Variables are Empty immediately after "Setting" Them?

Hello All, I have embedded some expect code inside a Bash script I'm writing, but for some reason any variable I 'set' to something is showing as empty immediately on the next line... I haven't run into this problem before so I'm not sure what it could be...? I'm guessing it has something to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
4 Replies

9. HP-UX

HP-UX: Shell Script giving " 0^J30: Syntax error"

Hi All, We are getting a very unique error while running a shell script on HP-UX box. Can somebody help in this regards? The shell script is working fine on linux/solaris box. Error: ++++++++++++++++++++++++ $/test.sh ./test.sh: 0^J30: Syntax error $ ++++++++++++++++++++++++ TIA.... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: vai_sh
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
set(1F) 							   FMLI Commands							   set(1F)

NAME
set, unset - set and unset local or global environment variables SYNOPSIS
set [-l variable [=value]] ... set [-e variable [=value]] ... set [-ffile variable [=value]]... ... unset -l variable... unset -f file variable... DESCRIPTION
The set command sets variable in the environment, or adds variable=value to file. If variable is not equated it to a value, set expects the value to be on stdin. The unset command removes variable. Note that the FMLI predefined, read-only variables (such as ARG1), may not be set or unset. Note that at least one of the above options must be used for each variable being set or unset. If you set a variable with the -ffilename option, you must thereafter include filename in references to that variable. For example, ${(file)VARIABLE}. FMLI inherits the UNIX environment when invoked. OPTIONS
-l Sets or unsets the specified variable in the local environment. Variables set with -l will not be inherited by processes invoked from FMLI. -e Sets the specified variable in the UNIX environment. Variables set with -e will be inherited by any processes started from FMLI. Note that these variables cannot be unset. -ffile Sets or unsets the specified variable in the global environment. The argument file is the name, or pathname, of a file containing lines of the form variable=value. file will be created if it does not already exist. Note that no space intervenes between -f and file. EXAMPLES
Example 1 A sample output of set command. Storing a selection made in a menu: name=Selection 2 action=`set -l SELECTION=2`close NOTES
Variables set to be available to the UNIX environment (those set using the -e option) can only be set for the current fmli process and the processes it calls. When using the -f option, unless file is unique to the process, other users of FMLI on the same machine will be able to expand these vari- ables, depending on the read/write permissions on file. A variable set in one frame may be referenced or unset in any other frame. This includes local variables. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
env(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 5 Jul 1990 set(1F)